Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep them down there. I don't like spiders.
...Can you make a gumbo with them?
65793-Yummy.gif

(asking for a friend)

The Brown tarantula's mating season takes place from late August through October, according to USA TODAY's previous reporting.

While tarantulas in Texas just finished their mating season, tarantulas in Colorado, Kansas and New Mexico will be venturing out of their homes in search of a mate.

"The males are emerging from those burrows in search of the females' burrows," said Davidson. "So the females are putting out like a pheromone, saying like, 'hey, I'm over here!'"

I've had a few pet tarantulas in the past. They're okay. I've always had female ones because they are more docile. The one in the picture is a female. Female spiders have bigger butts. (UH OH!) LOL

All spiders' fangs are on the bottom and eyes are on the top. A natural instinct for them is of you push down on a spider, it bits, so push them off from a side or smack them really fast.

I spend a lot of time out in the woods, except in september. That’s when all the local wood spiders come out. They spin their webs between trees. Every few feet I have to knock down webs with a stick. Else I’ll end up with a face full of web, unpleasant to say the least. The spiders are tiny, diameter of a .22 bullet. But they make a walk in the woods a royal pain!

So no thank you, keep the tarantulas out west. I have enough spiders...

Gold Creek a  (4)a.jpg

I spend a lot of time out in the woods, except in september. That’s when all the local wood spiders come out. They spin their webs between trees. Every few feet I have to knock down webs with a stick. Else I’ll end up with a face full of web, unpleasant to say the least. The spiders are tiny, diameter of a .22 bullet. But they make a walk in the woods a royal pain!

So no thank you, keep the tarantulas out west. I have enough spiders...

View attachment 159251
I used my walking stick to clear the path for my granddaughters. That is what walking sticks are for.

Ben

This is an annual thing in southeast Colorado, around La Junta, close to the Oklahoma border.

https://www.5280.com/what-to-know-about-colorados-annual-tarantula-migration/

"As one would expect with any good horror flick, these antagonists prefer to emerge when the light fades. They crawl up out of their burrows, their furry, brown bodies barely rustling the prairie grasses as their legs (all eight of them) pad lightly across the soil. They’re on the prowl—but not with any malevolent intentions. In fact, arachnid experts from Westminster–based Butterfly Pavilion, which has focused on tarantula research since 2010, say the creatures are relatively harmless. They’re just a bunch of bachelors looking for The One.

Each September and October, when the nights in Southeastern Colorado turn chilly (but before hard freezes begin), male Oklahoma brown tarantulas begin their quest for love. They’ll amble around 20 to 100 meters each evening to find it. More and more, visitors are heading to the spiders’ neck of the grasslands to watch. “It’s becoming a big deal,” says Lorna McCallister, target species manager at Butterfly Pavilion and a member of the team working with Colorado State University and the Southern Plains Land Trust to study Oklahoma brown tarantulas’ burrow site selection. “It’s a very cool ecological thing that’s turning into a tourism opportunity.”

Dubbed a “mategration” (it’s not technically a migration since there isn’t persistent movement or a significant relocation to a new habitat, McCallister says), the journey is a long time coming for these spiders: It generally takes males between seven and 10 years and females 10 to 12 years to reach reproductive readiness. By then, the spiders have grown to roughly 5 inches in diameter, and the males have finally grown pedipalps, a pair of appendages attached to their head.

Come fall, the of-age males wander around in search of a female’s burrow. Upon finding one, he will stand outside and drum his pedipalps. If the female is a willing partner, she’ll crawl to the surface, and the male will hold her up above him so that they’re facing each other. It’s a quick coupling—and for good reason. “He tries to get in there, mate, and get out without being eaten,” McCallister says, adding that roughly one-third of female tarantulas strike at their mates and around 20 percent actually kill them, which is not necessarily retribution for poor performance. “If you’re a female, and you know you’re about to raise a hundred-something babies, you’re probably going to take whatever meal you can get.”

more to the article

I like spiders better than Flys and yellowjackets.

I actually don't bother a few around windows that tend to get anything that accidentally Flys inside and it seems a few windows are the preferred exit points if they were open.

So if a spider take up residence in those windows..I consider them hired untill the web gets too full or dirty looking.

I at least know where those spiders are.

I do not like spiders on me..or on my bed or chairs.

That is considered a squishable smashable boundary crossing offenses.

No no no nono...

Julia Gomez needs to check a dictionary. Etymologist? I think she meant entomologist.

Keep your tarantulas down there. Still no sign of those giant flying Joro spiders that we're supposed to see in New York State.

Arachnology. Tarantulas are slower moving than other spiders. Sort of. We got out of the car and were inches from them, mostly so I could get photos. They are docile. Kinda like innocent fuzzy jumpers, my favorite spiders. When you see something trying to cross the road as big as a dinner plate you take notice.

I've had a few pet tarantulas in the past. ...
BTDT.. :D

Steve-the-Trant.jpg

..My Boys, especially, Loved hunting / catching them when we'd go to Camp every year up in / around Sequoia Nat Park.. :cool: #1 Daughter conquered any 'early fears' of 'em, and likewise, Loved caring for her own as she grew as well...

Great 'pets'.. 👍

jd

Somewhere, I saw that someone is still using their AOL email.
Well, my email address still ends in: @mindspring.com to this day:oops:.
See how old that is. 🤣

BTDT.. :D

Steve-the-Trant.jpg

..My Boys, especially, Loved hunting / catching them when we'd go to Camp every year up in / around Sequoia Nat Park.. :cool: #1 Daughter conquered any 'early fears' of 'em, and likewise, Loved caring for her own as she grew as well...

Great 'pets'.. 👍

jd
NICE!
Great job raising your kids.

Latest posts

Back