Bristol Bay salmon 1.6 Million caught on July 4th

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yesterday, July 4th, 1.6 million sockeye salmon were caught in the Bristol Bay region of Alaska. Every year I get to participate in a subsistence fishing trip with some of my tribal buddies from the region. On the 4th of July we caught about 150 in about a half hour and had to stop or else we would have sank the boat. I froze mine for shipping, but my buddies do a cold smoke. This is a typical smoke house and how they hang it before lighting the fire.

If you haven’t had the chance to see millions of salmon schooling in a bay prior to running up river, you haven’t lived!

IMG_0066.jpeg

We were set up in the bay in a slough near the to the Wood River. See report below. Between midnight and 6 am yesterday, 23,358 salmon had headed up the Wood River.

https://www.kdlg.org/show/bristol-b...7-05/bristol-bay-fisheries-report-july-4-2024

Last edited:
1.6 million? Holy crap that's a lot of salmon. Does the smoke keep the bears away? I would think the smell of all that salmon would attract predators like mad. Unless they are lying all fat and happy on the shore too.

1.6 million? Holy crap that's a lot of salmon. Does the smoke keep the bears away? I would think the smell of all that salmon would attract predators like mad. Unless they are lying all fat and happy on the shore too.

Bears are always around when there is salmon. They have been known to raid fish camps.

Never seen the swarms of fish before they move up river, but have seen many people and some bears fish the upper Fraser river right on the edge of town.. Some with nets if they didn't think anyone was watching..

The best smoked salmon I had was from the little fisherman cafe next to the cannery in Richmond, Vancouver.... There coffee would float an anchor.. I miss that, but not Vancouver..

If you haven’t had the chance to see millions of salmon schooling in a bay prior to running up river, you haven’t lived!
I had a hunting lodge there outside of King Salmon, Alaska. Was a great "bug'out Survival location.

Latest posts

Back