Canned Tuna

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The longer a fish lives the more mercury they have. They eat smaller fish which have a small amount of mercury and it builds up over the years. Pink salmon only live two years so it shouldn’t have much mercury. Pink is the least expensive salmon, and the least flavorful. Halibut, swordfish, and tuna are some of the longer lived fish. In Alaska we would prefer to catch a younger 30# halibut over a 300#er. It is more tender and flavorful.

Back when I was a teen I heard of a lawsuit. This gal sued the swordfish industry claiming that the mercury caused brain damage. A neurologist testified that she did have brain damage, but not having seen her years ago he wasn’t sure that anyone that ate nothing but swordfish for seven straight years wasn’t brain damaged previously.

Prudent consumption of fish is fine. If you like older fish then garlic, or other chelators, included in your diet should diminish any bad effects. When I worked at the range I took garlic capsules daily. I store tuna but that is not my only canned protein. Rice and beans provide a complete protein. Beans and any any grain provide a complete protein. That is why cornbread or tortillas are served with bean dishes.
Can you change your username Mentor ?

You know I joke with a hint of being serious. 😐

Last edited:
The longer a fish lives the more mercury they have. They eat smaller fish which have a small amount of mercury and it builds up over the years. Pink salmon only live two years so it shouldn’t have much mercury. Pink is the least expensive salmon, and the least flavorful. Halibut, swordfish, and tuna are some of the longer lived fish. In Alaska we would prefer to catch a younger 30# halibut over a 300#er. It is more tender and flavorful.

Back when I was a teen I heard of a lawsuit. This gal sued the swordfish industry claiming that the mercury caused brain damage. A neurologist testified that she did have brain damage, but not having seen her years ago he wasn’t sure that anyone that ate nothing but swordfish for seven straight years wasn’t brain damaged previously.

Prudent consumption of fish is fine. If you like older fish then garlic, or other chelators, included in your diet should diminish any bad effects. When I worked at the range I took garlic capsules daily. I store tuna but that is not my only canned protein. Rice and beans provide a complete protein. Beans and any any grain provide a complete protein. That is why cornbread or tortillas are served with bean dishes.
I know that garlic is used as a supplement, but just haven't thought about it in many years. I used to take it, but I remember burping garlic afterwards.
Thanks for the reminder.

Tuna croquettes

Two cans or packets of drained tuna
One egg
Some onion flakes or finely diced onion
Salt and pepper
Saltine crackers

Mix then add enough cracker crumbs to be able to form a patty. Usually 1/2 to 1 whole sleeve of crackers, crushed. Form patties about the size of the palm of your hand. Makes about 3-4. Then…

Once formed, heat oil in a skillet and fry for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, or lemon.

I haven’t tried these in an air fryer but would probably work.

These patties as leftovers make a fantastic filet o’ fish sandwich. Reheat the patty then serve on a toasted hamburger bun with mayo or tartar sauce, pickles, lettuce, and onion. Can add a slice of cheese too.
My mom did this recipe and just stirred everything until it was golden brown. No patties. We called it "Tuna Crumbles". Everyone liked it.

My mom used to make tuna burgers, which she served with tomato soup. Tuna with diced celery, onions, and cheese. Moistened with just enough mayo to keep it together. Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted and buns are toasted. You can make it with shredded cheese, but it's not quite the same.

Whenever I make casseroles, soups, or even tuna burgers I shoot for equal amounts of protein, veggies, and starches. So you have less of a worry about to much starches because you are also getting a good amount of protein and veggies.
I think that I saw this somewhere, called tuna melts. They can be pan fried as well.

I stock up on tinned tuna when its on sale, and husband likes it with chopped peppers, red onions and sweet chilli sauce in cold pasta for lunch. I like it toasted in a wrap with cheese and onion. I keep some mackerel and tinned salmon also. Must make some fish cakes/ croquettes next time I have leftover mash.
I can't imagine even with the mercury its any more unhealthy than the tinned meat - we really don't know what is in anything anymore. Theres a lovely jarred tuna over here, but it's so expensive I've never tried it!

Latest posts

Back