Chicken/egg question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a chance that the incubator eggs could start hatching tomorrow and I'm clueless.

Do I leave the dome on until they all hatch or do I take them out one by one as soon as they hatch. The temp inside the dome is 99.5 so it would be warm.

My plan is to put them inside the house in a tub with shavings and a heat lamp while they are still newborn. If it is warm enough in a couple of days gonna treat them like the ones I buy and put in the cage with the warming tray.

Please give me comments if I'm gonna kill them

Pretty much what I do. But if there is more than a couple of days between hatching I try to keep them separated from those that hatched a day or two earlier so they don't kill them before they can move well enough. Take them out of the incubator right away though, mine sometimes get caught up in the mechanics of it and die.

Pretty much what I do. But if there is more than a couple of days between hatching I try to keep them separated from those that hatched a day or two earlier so they don't kill them before they can move well enough. Take them out of the incubator right away though, mine sometimes get caught up in the mechanics of it and die.
Thanks for you help.

I take them out when they are dry, but not if it's just one. They need a buddy. I stop rotating 3 days before hatching. I know it's not recommended to help them out of their shell, but it's frustrating if it's been hours and hours and they're not getting anywhere. If they pecked out a bit, enough to let air in the shell, then they need to keep working on it, Otherwise the inside membrane dries out and it sticks to them like shrink wrap. Then they're stuck. So I have about 50/50 success with helping them out, but it's better than 100 percent dead.

Ten little Fluffy butts

Attachments

• 20240302_082213.jpg
    20240302_082213.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That's a good hatch rate. I have some due around the 12th. We'll see what I get. I never candle, so I am happy enough with a half rate. I let our geese sit, but other than those, I incubate the chicken and turkey eggs.
I candled 2 or 3 only because when I open lid the temp and humidity rate went crazy. I did just candle the last 2 because I thought they would be empty, but they are both dark inside. I'll wait today to see if they hatch.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to put 12 in incubator today. Will be my first attempt at this. Larry brought home 12 baby ducks from TS Friday. That wasn't expected, not sure what got into him! I know this isn't chicken/egg related but my doe (rabbitt) is due to have kits Tuesday also, but I'm starting to think she's not really pregnant. We'll see. Lots going on!

Attachments

• 20240301_172648.jpg
    20240301_172648.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I changed my mind after watching several more videos this morning. I am going to wait another week or so before incubating any chicken eggs. Will collect new ones and try again. I don't think I stored the current ones correctly before putting in incubator.

I do like duck eggs also, and they say they are best for baking. With the new ducklings, plan on hatching some of those as well in future.

We're starting to get up to 7 duck eggs a day now. With duck eggs I can say I'm only having a one egg omelet for breakfast. Ducks don't mind the snow at all. Chickens won't go out in it until it's packed down. They spend most of their time on the covered deck when it's snowing.

If anyone is interested, Stromburgs is running a sale on brooders and incubators right now, up to 35% off.

I think PP posted somewhere a "misfire" egg laid from one of his hens.....here ya go...we got one of those today...it's from the americana that we named Tranny cause she was given to us as a rooster...but turned out to be a hen...🤣....normally, she lays a normal to large size egg...but apparently had a misfire today! (The little green one) Lol

Attachments

• 20240308_150855.jpg
    20240308_150855.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back