College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did Missu beat OSU?

Not yet. They play in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day. I didn't watch the game, but saw the score; Arizona 38- Oklahoma 24. These were the two highest ranked teams not playing on New Years day or in the playoffs. Oklahoma was 12 Arizona was 14. Oklahoma was playing with a back up QB, which didn't turn out well. They turned the ball over six times. Tough to win when you do that.

Great Win! @Morgan101 It was a really good game... reminded me of some of the bama auburn games, insanity rules. 6 turn overs... felt bad for the Ok freshman qb, they ate him for lunch.

It was a great win for the program. I'm sure I will get the complete blow by blow fom my brother. This is only the fourth 10 win season in school history, and the first bowl win in six years. They did not seem to be affected by the Portal. I had a feeling Oklahoma would be vulnerable losing their starting QB, and that certainly was the case.

For Arizona this was one of the best seasons in school history. Two of their three losses were in overtime, and the third loss was only by a touchdown to Washington. They beat four ranked teams during the season, and had a stellar defense. We will see. Next year they go into the Big 12, which will be different since Texas and Oklahoma are moving to the SEC.

I just heard this from one of the talking heads. Did you know the NCAA gets something like $470 million in TV revenue from FBS Football? I was surprised it was so high.

Not yet. They play in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day. I didn't watch the game, but saw the score; Arizona 38- Oklahoma 24. These were the two highest ranked teams not playing on New Years day or in the playoffs. Oklahoma was 12 Arizona was 14. Oklahoma was playing with a back up QB, which didn't turn out well. They turned the ball over six times. Tough to win when you do that.
Mizzou plays Ohio State tonight, Friday, December 29.

Some time this weekend is Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers game in Minnesota..
About 9/10 of TV will be the pre, post and game.. Will be western movie channel for me all day..
I'm likely the only person in the state that thinks American foot ball is a waste of oxygen...

Some time this weekend is Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers game in Minnesota..
About 9/10 of TV will be the pre, post and game.. Will be western movie channel for me all day..
I'm likely the only person in the state that thinks American foot ball is a waste of oxygen...
NFL surely is. Haven't watched a second in years

Tacitus, you are correct. The Cotton Bowl is tonight. First time I can remember it not being played on New Years Day.

The NFL lost me twice, and I can't remember which one came first; Hands up Don't shoot or Kapernik taking a knee. You want to protest, do it on your own time and your own dime. You want to take a knee and tell me how bad this country is while you are making millions of dollars a year to play a stupid game. In what universe do you think you will have that opportunity. A rookie making the minimum salary ($750,000 a year) will make more in one game than a cop makes in a year. gaah

The Cotton Bowl.
Missouri Tigers (10-2), ranked 9th.
The Ohio Stink Buckeyes (11-1), ranked 7th. (Yup, I am from Michigan and Ohio will forever Stink)

What:
Cotton bowl record 16 (or maybe 17) punts combined in a single game. Most since 1962.
First time in 7 years Ohio failed to score a touchdown.
First time EVER in college football history did a team scoreless through the first 3 quarters come back and win the game.
Ohio had 1 field goal in the first quarter, that is their total for the game.
Missouri scored 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

Final Score: Missouri 14 - Ohio 3.

I didn't see the game since I no lnger get ESPN, but I kept track of the score. Big win for our program. Made me think Woody Hayes came back from the dead to coach the Ohio State team. OMG!! How does the #7 ranked team in the country not score a touchdown in a Bowl game?

Did the talking heads say anything about the missing players who went Portal?

Last edited:
First time EVER in college football history did a team scoreless through the first 3 quarters come back and win the game.
For the record, that happened to Ohio State in 1935. Unbeaten Notre Dame faced unbeaten OSU, in Columbus, and was down 13-0 in the 4th quarter to the home team. But, ND scored 3 times in the 4th quarter to take the win 18-13, and Irish fans proceeded to tear down OSU's goal posts. From the 1935 OSU Yearbook: “The fourth period was a nightmare. ... It is indelibly imprinted upon the minds of every one of the 80,000 who witnessed it and even greater numbers that read and heard about it. It was intestinal fortitude and the spirit of a team that ‘wouldn’t be beaten’ that gave Notre Dame the victory. Ohio was a good ball club for a half but they made their mistake by coasting on their 13 points in the last period. Shakespear, Pilney, three touchdowns and Ohio’s national championship hopes fell just as Tony Aquila’s goal posts fell with the onslaught of the Irish rooters. Ohio fans didn’t protest, they sat rooted to their seats, heartbroken. A once great Ohio team trudged into the showers where even the supposed soothing cold water failed to bring them the reality that the game was over and they had lost.”

For the record, that happened to Ohio State in 1935. Unbeaten Notre Dame faced unbeaten OSU, in Columbus, and was down 13-0 in the 4th quarter to the home team. But, ND scored 3 times in the 4th quarter to take the win 18-13, and Irish fans proceeded to tear down OSU's goal posts. From the 1935 OSU Yearbook: “The fourth period was a nightmare. ... It is indelibly imprinted upon the minds of every one of the 80,000 who witnessed it and even greater numbers that read and heard about it. It was intestinal fortitude and the spirit of a team that ‘wouldn’t be beaten’ that gave Notre Dame the victory. Ohio was a good ball club for a half but they made their mistake by coasting on their 13 points in the last period. Shakespear, Pilney, three touchdowns and Ohio’s national championship hopes fell just as Tony Aquila’s goal posts fell with the onslaught of the Irish rooters. Ohio fans didn’t protest, they sat rooted to their seats, heartbroken. A once great Ohio team trudged into the showers where even the supposed soothing cold water failed to bring them the reality that the game was over and they had lost.”

I don't doubt your knowledge on the subject, but I now believe the radio announcers may have provided bogus information. That is where I heard it.

The 2 teamsbI detest above all others by far

Georgia up 42/3 at the half. Guess the fl st people have their answer as to why they weren't in the playoff. Georgia should have been, glad they weren't but they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. Fl st isn't!

Auburn and the Terps... just embarrassing for the Tigers. Looks like Bama's 4th and 31 play broke them. I suspect another coaching change is coming.

Ole Miss beat the carp out of Penn st. Olemiss only lost 2 games, lost to Bama and Georgia, they are just plain good! They'll be good next season too!

I knew who ever ga faced next was going to get an old fashioned whoopin'. They brought it, a lot of talent on that team. I'm glad bama didn't have to face them again, happy to wait until next season. They'll be ready, hope we are.

Auburn phoned in a loss, embarrassing for the state.

Saw online... Texas played Washington last year in the alamo bowl. Washington won by 7. Had forgotten, i knew they matched bama and mich because of history. I guess tx/wa do as well.

I think I am on the other side of this issue. The NCAA has totally screwed up the Bowl picture by allowing players to declare for the Portal before the season is over. Both of my teams benefitted, but Oklahoma was missing their starting QB. Wasn't Ohio State missing their starting QB? The teams that are playing in these Bowl games are not the same teams that played the regular season.

IMHO Florida State got hosed big time by the NCAA. They were down to their third QB and still went undefeated. They deserved to be in the playoff before Texas, Alabama and Georgia. After you get screwed like that who gives a rip what bowl is offered? It is never going to replace the opportunity to play for the national championship, and they had that taken away from them by bureaucrats. Not on the field.

It is my understanding that a player in the portal can still play for their team. It is the decision of the coach and player whether the player plays. Most decide that players in the portal will not play.

A player can enter the portal, and then withdraw from the portal, and stay with their team for the following season. Their status with their current team is only changed once the player actually transfers. But, most coaches move to the next man while the player is in the portal.

I think I am on the other side of this issue. The NCAA has totally screwed up the Bowl picture by allowing players to declare for the Portal before the season is over. Both of my teams benefitted, but Oklahoma was missing their starting QB. Wasn't Ohio State missing their starting QB? The teams that are playing in these Bowl games are not the same teams that played the regular season.

IMHO Florida State got hosed big time by the NCAA. They were down to their third QB and still went undefeated. They deserved to be in the playoff before Texas, Alabama and Georgia. After you get screwed like that who gives a rip what bowl is offered? It is never going to replace the opportunity to play for the national championship, and they had that taken away from them by bureaucrats. Not on the field.
OSU was using their backup QB as their starter declared he’ll be at Syracuse next year. The problem is that their backup went down early in the second quarter and they had to use their third stringer. I’m glad MIZZOU won, but I think it would have been different if their starting QB had played.

That said, I don’t think FSU is one of the top 4 teams right now. They’re on their third string QB as well. They were embarrassed by the GA third stringers for the second half.

The SEC is the toughest division and I’d put up several teams from the SEC could whoop FSU right now. I know they beat Florida and LSU, but I don’t think the team they have now could beat LSU, Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Mizzou, or even Tennesse. Tough break for them, but I want truly tough games to determine the national champs, not a blowout

It is my understanding that a player in the portal can still play for their team. It is the decision of the coach and player whether the player plays. Most decide that players in the portal will not play.

A player can enter the portal, and then withdraw from the portal, and stay with their team for the following season. Their status with their current team is only changed once the player actually transfers. But, most coaches move to the next man while the player is in the portal.

That is all absolutely correct. IMHO the players shouldn't have the option to do anything until the season is complete. The team that goes to the bowl game should be the team that participated all season, and has earned that invitation to the bowl game. Again, JMHO, but with all of the players jumping ship, the bowl teams are not the same.

I think something is going on behind the scenes at Ohio. I don't believe their starting quarterback decided to enter the portal just because they lost to Michigan, again. I believe he had been thinking about it for some time, meaning something in that organization pushed him away. I highly doubt he would have lost his starting position next season. Plus several other key players are trying to leave that team. It makes me wonder what their team will be like next year, or if the coach will still be around next season.
That is all absolutely correct. IMHO the players shouldn't have the option to do anything until the season is complete. The team that goes to the bowl game should be the team that participated all season, and has earned that invitation to the bowl game. Again, JMHO, but with all of the players jumping ship, the bowl teams are not the same.
I agree, the portal needs to open AFTER the last game of the college season, meaning after the championship game. I also believe the players should be required to play throughout the playoffs, even if they are graduating and entering the NFL draft. The NFL should make them ineligible for the first couple rounds of the draft if they sit out the playoffs or bowl games. As a future employer what does it say if the player quits on their team and leaves them hanging?
I know, the NFL money doesn't care about college or ethics.

I know, the NFL money doesn't care about college or ethics.

I agree. If the NFL wants to start a minor league then by all means start a minor leaue. They shouldn't be allowed to use the NCAA as their minor league.

Remember the movie Concussion? Will Smith plays the doctor who exposed the serious brain injuries incurred bt NFL players and the long term affects. Albert Brooks has one of the greatest movie lines ever. He is asking Will Smith if he really wants to get into this fight against the NFL and the power and the money. "These people own a day of the week!" The NFL has used college football as their minor league for decades. The NCAA should take a stand to protect the college game.

Last edited:
I agree. If the NFL wants to start a minor league then by all means sart a minor leaue. They shouldn't be allowed to use the NCAA as their minor league.
The NFL should embrace the USFL or the XFL or the Arena FL or the You Didn't Get Drafted or Got Cut FL as minor leagues and let college be college. The players get free tuition and are essentially being paid. Walk Ons without a scholarship are getting exposure to try and prove if they are worth a look. Worried about a possible injury, join the chess club.

Back