College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much they paid Bama's center for those 3 low snaps :mad:...
Especially that last one!gaah
Snapping the ball is just not that damhard! Heck, even I can do it :oops: .
Everyone can accuse me of :cry: sour grapes, but I checked YouTube and he also did the same thing in the Auburn game, the Arkansas game, and the Texas game.
How he made it into the Rose Bowl game and was not hanging by his thumbs in the woodshed is beyond megaah:mad:.

Anyone else watching the CFP? Pretty good ballgame. The boys in blue are winning the trenches like the bama game. Question is, can wash lose that battle and still win the game?

4th Q just started.. m20-w13

Edit to add...

Go Blue... 33-13. wash looks like they've taken a beating. The trenches did them in... Mich won the line, both o and d.

Last edited:
I don't get ESPN anymore, so I didn't see the game. Was it good for three quarters, and then Micigan pulled away? In 20-20 hindsight I would say Michigan was the stronger team. Washington had several close calls to stay undefeated. They could just as easily have been a 3-loss team.

Congrats to Michigan. They earned it.

Last edited:
Agree.. Michigan was clearly a better team.

Mich.jpg

I had a good natured argument with my brother over who was the better conference; PAC12 vs. SEC. He said the PAC12 had the better record in Bowl games, and Washington, Oregon, and Arizona all won. I had to correct him since Washington lost, the bowl records were the same. Alabama took Michigan to overtime while Washigton lost to Michigan by three touchdowns. Alabama, Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee were all strong, and I wouldn't put much stock in Oregon beating Liberty, barely a D1 school, and oh by the way, Bo Nix, the Oregon star, came from Auburn.

Last of that argument. There won't be a PAC12 next year.

IMO the Pac12 was in a race with the ACC to see which was worse.

Clemson did more than hold their own for some time. Florida State hasn't been good since Bobbie Bowden left, but if they had their #1 QB I liked their chances this year. The rest of the conference is pretty so-so. I agree.

Bo Nix was an sec washout, couldn't compete week in, week out, beat anyone consistently. He went to a conference where he'd shine, the pac. Can't blame the guy a bit.

I got transferred to ca in the early 80’s. Only games on tv were pac and wac. I was not impressed with their brand of football. I grew up watching the sec, no comparison even then.

Washington was hyped by the pundits all season. We saw last night it was just that… hype. At best they’d have been a 4 loss team in the sec, probably a 5-loss. They shouldn’t have beaten texas, a total surprise they did. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but after last night’s game its clear texas just had a bad night. imho

At the end of the day the 'committee' selected teams they thought would provide entertaining football and reflect the best in the country that week. 3 of 4 met that requirement, not to shabby. I still think Georgia could've beaten any of the 4, or at least provided more entertaining games.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the game but even though I am a Michigan fan I was complaining that both teams needed to air out the ball with more long passes. The second half Washington tried but their receivers had hands on many passed and dropped the ball. Maybe some of the passes were not perfect but they had 2 hands on the ball and couldn't hold on far too many times. Michigan did have a few long-ish passes but needed more to spread out the defense and make more room at the line.

Over all, Go Blue! I am a happy Michigander.

After 17 years, Nick Saban is retiring. :(
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-alabama-coach-nick-saban-retires-after-17-seasons-with-crimson-tide-221300348.html
Can you imagine how hard it was, following in Bear Bryant's footsteps?:oops:
Don't worry, he's gonna be just fine.:thumbs:
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-coaches/nick-saban-net-worth/
Countless critics view Nick as the best college football coach in history, and he has achieved some incredible things over the course of his career. Along with a strong win-loss record, Saban is one of only two coaches who have won SEC Championships with different schools. He is often compared to Bear Bryant, another legendary college football coach.

Last edited:
It's on the local news. Knew it was coming soon, time to leave the field and spend time with family.

After Bear Bryant it was a decade before Gene Stallings.. another dozen years before Saban. Lots of bad football years in between.

Well, the search for a new coach begins. To bad Kirby Smart isn't available... lol.

He is 72 years old and in an incredibly stressful job. He reached the top of the mountain several times, and has nothing left to prove. He is independently wealthy, and if he wanted to he could write his own ticket into the broadcast booth or the TV studio. He has earned every ounce of his retirement.

He took an elite, championship program to an entirely new level. I wish him well and hope he is happy.

After 17 years, Nick Saban is retiring. :(
Who? Never heard of him.
:ghostly: :dunno: :fun fun::good luck::clapping::dancing::Dancing Chicken:

Well, that is kinda true, I skim news headlines and only really care about my teams. I am definitely not a follow everything sports related kind of guy.
I hope he enjoys a long retirement. He apparently did kind of a decent job, whoever he is. ;)
(I know, he was the head coach of one of those SWEC schools. I am not a total partial dim wit.)

Who? Never heard of him.
:ghostly: :dunno: :fun fun::good luck::clapping::dancing::Dancing Chicken:

Well, that is kinda true, I skim news headlines and only really care about my teams. I am definitely not a follow everything sports related kind of guy.
I hope he enjoys a long retirement. He apparently did kind of a decent job, whoever he is. ;)
(I know, he was the head coach of one of those SWEC schools. I am not a total partial dim wit.)
I'm gonna leave my foot in my mouth and only say: more national championships than any other head coach in history - yep, never heard of him :rolleyes:.

I'm gonna leave my foot in my mouth and only say: more national championships than any other head coach in history - yep, never heard of him :rolleyes:.
Well, aside from the last few weeks of skimming headlines prior to that I had no idea who he was/is. I do know the names Bobbie Bowden because I met him on an elevator on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and Bear Bryant because of the old TV show BJ and The Bear, and ... I think that is it for people outside of Michigan. I really have no interest in studying this stuff, I have better less important things to do with my time.

He's been a good coach for a long time.
But as a UT fan I can't say I'm sorry to see him go. He's like Spurrier was, always had our number
...Can you imagine the celebrations going on at Auburn?:eyeballs::woo hoo:

...Can you imagine the celebrations going on at Auburn?:eyeballs::woo hoo:

On the news a 5pm... they rolled Toomers Corner this afternoon in Auburn... They do this after each victory! Too funny!!! They cearly count this as a win!!! 🤣

-------------------------------------

Local gossip in Tuskaloosa is flying... as expected. Run downs on the list of replacements wanting the job, all over the place.

I'm sure this was planned and discussed a couple years ago, if not longer.. Just have to wait for the accolades to die down a bit before the new coach is announced.

Back