Cookie Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These classic no bake cookies can be made in minutes and are the perfect after-school treat, a must for holiday cookie trays, and the best “just because” cookie.

INGREDIENTS:​

• ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups (397 grams) granulated sugar
  • ½ cup (120 ml) whole or 2% milk
  • 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • ½ cup (135 grams) peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups (267 grams) quick-cooking oats

DIRECTIONS:​

1. Add the first five ingredients (through the salt) to a 4-quart saucepan.
  2. Bring to a rapid boil and let boil for 1 minute.
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until smooth, then stir in the oats.
  5. Using a medium cookie scoop (or 2 tablespoonfuls), drop onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
  6. Let cool until set, about 30 minutes. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature (or in the refrigerator) for up to 2 weeks.

Peanut Butter Balls AKA Buckeye Balls

16 oz. peanut butter
1 pound confectioners sugar
1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) butter
Melted Chocolate bark for dipping

1. Mix together the peanut butter, sugar and butter.
  2. Roll into balls. Put a toothpick in each one for dipping purpose. Put in freezer for 30 minutes.
  3. Dip balls into melted chocolate bark, set on wax paper on cookie sheet.
  4. These are best when they are stored in the refrigerator.

Club Cracker Cookies

This is one of a few recipes out there.

Grease your cookies sheet really well. Line the cookie sheet with club crackers (54 single crackers).

Boil for 2 minutes:
1 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar, less 2 tablespoons

Pour over the crackers and spread evenly.

Sprinkle on 1/2 package slicked almonds.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Take from pan while warm and place on foil immediately.

This is similar to this recipe, but different:

Toffee Squares

Delicious! These Toffee Squares nicely makes approx. 40 pieces

40 Saltines

1 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

6 to 8 oz. chocolate chips

1 cup finely chopped nuts

Line a jelly roll pan with foil and place saltines flat in the pan. Melt butter and add sugar, boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over crackers. Bake 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let melt and smooth over the top. Sprinkle nuts over chocolate. Refrigerate until hard and peel off the foil before cutting. Let them reach room temperature before cutting to get nice even squares.

(I usually just break them into pieces.)
I chop nuts in a little chopper I have. Also use mini chips, they melt faster.

Christmas Cookie Rules...
1. If you eat a Christmas cookie fresh out of the oven, it has no calories because everyone knows that the first cookie is the test and thus calorie free. However, calories are units of heat so wait for them to cool, there will no calories.
2. If you drink a diet soda after eating your second cookie, it also has no calories because the diet soda cancels out the cookie calories.
3. If a friend comes over while you're making your Christmas cookies and needs to sample, you must sample with your friend. Because your friend's first cookie is calorie free, (rule #1) yours is also. It would be rude
to let your friend sample alone and, being the friend that you are, that makes your cookie calorie free.
4. Any cookie calories consumed while walking around will fall to your feet and eventually fall off as you move. This is due to gravity and the density of the caloric mass.
5. Any calories consumed during the frosting of the Christmas cookies will be used up because it takes many calories to lick excess frosting from a knife without cutting your tongue.
6. Cookies colored red or green have very few calories. Red ones have three and green ones have five - one calorie for each letter. Make more red ones!
7. Cookies eaten while watching "Miracle on 34th Street"
have no calories because they are part of the entertainment package and not part of one's personal fuel.
8. As always, cookie pieces contain no calories because the process of breaking causes calorie leakage.
9. Any cookies consumed from someone else's plate have no calories because the calories rightfully belong to the other person and will cling to their plate. We all know how calories like to CLING!
10. Any cookies consumed while feeling stressed have no calories because cookies used for medicinal purposes NEVER have calories. It's a rule!
So, enjoy those Christmas Cookies - we get them only this time of year!
Merry Christmas

NEVER... met a homemade cookie I didn't like...
Will gladly taste test any recipe and make a report..
This will save you from working off the calories... insert smiley face here...

This is a recipe I've had since I was a child. I was at a meeting with my grandmother and these were served. I don't think that I have ever made them, but they are on my list to make this year. I'm going to try to make them with gluten free flour. To make them a little more festive, I could see some sprinkles on them after they are frosted.

Chocolate Waffle Cookies

2 squares baking chocolate, melted
2 beaten eggs
1 c flour
1/3 c chopped walnuts
1/3 c butter, melted
3/4 c white sugar
1 t vanilla

Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. In a bowl mix beaten eggs, sugar, flour, and vanilla. Add chocolate and butter and finally the chopped walnuts. Heat waffle iron to medium temperature. When iron is ready, drop dough by teaspoonfuls and close lid. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool. Frost.

Frosting:

1 1/2 c white sugar
6 T margarine
6 T milk
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium sized kettle combine sugar, margarine and milk. Boil frosting 1 minute. Add chocolate chips and beat. Frost cookies. When finished the cookies should look like a turtle with a frosting shell.

(Ugh! Struggling to make the letters plain text. I've done it many times in other places!)​

This is a recipe that both of my grandmothers used to make. I don't think that I have ever made them, but I remember these are great. I have a friend who bakes lots of cookies at Christmas time. I shared this recipe with her and she loved it. She is a picky eater.

Date Filled Cookies

Dough

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup shortening
3 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon soda in 1 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3 3/4 cups flour
Mix shortening thoroughly with brown sugar and eggs. Stir in water and vanilla. Sift together and stir in flour, salt, soda and cinnamon. Drop with teaspoon on ungreased baking sheet. Place ½ teaspoon date filling on dough. Cover with another ½ teaspoon dough. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Filling

1 cup ground dates
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
Boil and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool.

Yield: Makes 5 to 6 dozen cookies.​

My wife makes these gingersnaps for me once a year. They are super spicy and crisp, just the way I like them!

GINGERSNAPS (Makes 80 1½-inch cookies)

2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne (I use heaping 1/8 teaspoon)
1 1/4 cups packed (8 3/4 ounces) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger (I use 3 heaping tablespoons)
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar

1. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Lower heat to medium-low and continue to cook, swirling pan frequently, until foaming subsides and butter is just beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer butter to large bowl and whisk in ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and cayenne. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, molasses, and fresh ginger to butter mixture and whisk to combine. Add egg and yolk and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

2. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Divide dough into heaping teaspoon portions; roll dough into 1-inch balls. Working in batches of 10, roll balls in sugar to coat. Evenly space dough balls on prepared baking sheets, 20 dough balls per sheet.

3. Place 1 sheet on upper rack and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, transfer partially baked top sheet to lower rack, rotating 180 degrees, and place second sheet of dough balls on upper rack. Continue to bake until cookies on lower tray just begin to darken around edges, 10 to 12 minutes longer. Remove lower sheet of cookies and shift upper sheet to lower rack and continue to bake until cookies begin to darken around edges, 15 to 17 minutes. Slide baked cookies, still on parchment, to wire rack and cool completely before serving. Cool baking sheets slightly and repeat step 2 with remaining dough balls.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping. Let frozen dough thaw overnight in the refrigerator before proceeding with recipe. Cooled cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks in airtight container.

My wife makes these gingersnaps for me once a year. They are super spicy and crisp, just the way I like them!

GINGERSNAPS (Makes 80 1½-inch cookies)

2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne (I use heaping 1/8 teaspoon)
1 1/4 cups packed (8 3/4 ounces) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger (I use 3 heaping tablespoons)
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar

1. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Lower heat to medium-low and continue to cook, swirling pan frequently, until foaming subsides and butter is just beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer butter to large bowl and whisk in ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and cayenne. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, molasses, and fresh ginger to butter mixture and whisk to combine. Add egg and yolk and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

2. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Divide dough into heaping teaspoon portions; roll dough into 1-inch balls. Working in batches of 10, roll balls in sugar to coat. Evenly space dough balls on prepared baking sheets, 20 dough balls per sheet.

3. Place 1 sheet on upper rack and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, transfer partially baked top sheet to lower rack, rotating 180 degrees, and place second sheet of dough balls on upper rack. Continue to bake until cookies on lower tray just begin to darken around edges, 10 to 12 minutes longer. Remove lower sheet of cookies and shift upper sheet to lower rack and continue to bake until cookies begin to darken around edges, 15 to 17 minutes. Slide baked cookies, still on parchment, to wire rack and cool completely before serving. Cool baking sheets slightly and repeat step 2 with remaining dough balls.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping. Let frozen dough thaw overnight in the refrigerator before proceeding with recipe. Cooled cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks in airtight container.
I love gingersnaps! One year I made a very large batch and we were eating them for weeks. I will only make a single batch from now on.

These are great!

White Chip Chocolate Cookies

recipe from the Nestle white chip package

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups white morsel chips

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla together in a bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Gently stir in morsels. Drop by well rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until centers are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove from baking sheets to cooling racks to cool completely.

Makes approximately 5 dozen.

Am I the only one who loves these cookies after dipping into a cup of coffee?
I have a thing about sweets for breakfast. I do love these gingersnaps dipped in coffee. The whole large batch that I made was eaten that way!

I was housesitting a few weeks ago and they had biscotti!! OMG! Almond biscotti! I am now trying to put together the ingredients list to go shopping and make biscotti while I am here for the next 3 days. This is one of those times that a go bag of baking ingredients would be great! I keep talking about it, and I even saw a rolling suitcase on sale recently.

This is a classic recipe and can be found in cookbooks. I have made this recipe a few times. So did my grandmother.

Deluxe Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp. almond extract
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Granulated sugar for top
Mix thoroughly butter, egg, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and almond extract.
Blend in flour, soda and cream of tartar. Cover and chill 2-3 hours.
Roll dough on lightly floured board, Cut into desired shapes, sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown at 375 degrees. Makes 5 dozen 2 or 2 ½ inch cookies.

My grandmother had many grandchildren and what you knew you could get when you got to her house was cookies. Her grandchildren remember her for all of her cookies. She collected classic recipes.

Brown Sugar Refrigerator Cookies

½ cup butter or shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 ¾ cups sifted flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Beat together butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and orange rind. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Sift into first mixture and mix well. Chill the dough, then shape into rolls 1 ½ inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper or foil. Store in refrigerator or freezer. To bake, unwrap and cut in 1/8 inch slices. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes. Makes 4 or 5 dozen crisp butterscotch cookies.

Famous Oatmeal Cookies, Grandma

This is a recipe that Grandma used to make cookies. It actually came from an oatmeal box.

3/4 cup shortening (butter) softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sifted white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oatmeal (uncooked)

Beat shortening, sugars, egg, water and vanilla together until creamy. Sift together flour, salt, and soda, add to creamed
mixture, blend well. Stir in oats. Drop by tsp onto greased cookie sheets. Baked in preheated oven 350 degrees 12 to 15 minutes. For variety, add chopped nutmeats, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut. Makes 5 dozen.

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies

Mix together:
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Set aside.

Mix together:
1 cup shortening (butter)
1 cup peanut butter
Add both sugars and mix well:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Add 2 eggs
Beat well.

Stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture.
Drop dough from a teaspoon onto a baking sheet. Flatten with a fork.

Bake at 375 degrees 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Makes 4 or 5 dozen cookies.

One of my cousins makes lots of cookies during the Christmas season. This is what she gifts to her extended family, cookies. This is her favorite cookie.

Snickerdoodles

1 cup soft shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs

Combine and mix thoroughy

Sift together:

2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture.

Chill the dough and roll into walnut size balls. Roll in a mixture of 2 tablespoons each sugar & cinnamon. Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until slightly brown but still soft.

Bake at 400 degrees. Makes 5 dozen 2 inch cookies.​

I once looked to see if I could find our family recipe for date filled cookies online and this came up. It is not the same recipe, but I have wanted to try it.

https://cannedpeachesproject.com/date-pinwheel-cookies/

Date Pinwheel Cookie​

Yield: 4 large logs, yielding about 1 1/2 dozen cookies each.

Vintage date pinwheel recipe from my Great Grandma Little. Makes a lightly sweet and soft cookie that has long been a family favorite.
INGREDIENTS

For Date Filling:​

• 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 lbs. pitted dates, roughly chopped

For Cookie Dough:​

• 1 cup soft butter (2 sticks, 8 ounces)
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 5 cups all purpose flour

INSTRUCTIONS​

Make Date Filling:​

• In small pot over medium low heat, heat sugar, water & chopped dates. Let cook until sugar melts and forms a syrup. Use a wooden spoon or potato masher to break up dates more, and make a thick paste.
  • Pull off the heat and cool to room temp.

Make Cookie Dough:​

• In large bowl, or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
  • Add dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.

Assemble Pinwheels:​

• Roll out each lump of dough onto parchment, until 1/2" thick. Use a knife to square up your dough (scraps can be saved and used for to make a mini log, with extra filling).
  • Spread an even layer of date filling on dough, leaving one of the short ends bare to make for easy sealing. Don't use so much filling that it's hard to roll up, but it's also the good stuff, so don't skimp. (I actually recommend using *slightly* more filling than what is in the picture)
  • Tightly roll up your log, rolling toward the end you left bare. Press to seal. Wrap up in parchment paper, and let chill in fridge for a few hours.
  • Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 325, and line baking sheets with parchment. Slice logs into 1/2" thick rounds. Place on prepared sheets, and bake until lightly brown, about 15 minutes.

I made this recipe when I was a child. I don't know if I have made it since. I read the recipe and know I would add some flavoring, at least some vanilla now.

Oh Henry Bars

4 cups oatmeal
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white syrup

Bring butter and syrup to a boil. Stir in oatmeal and sugar. Pat into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degree for 10 to 12 minutes. Melt 1 cup peanut butter and 1 cup chocolate chips. Spread on top of the bars.

Brownies-- made with chocolate syrup

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 can chocolate syrup
1 cup flour
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, syrup and vanilla. Mix. Add flour and salt, mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in a 17 x 11" pan.

Frosting

1 1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons milk
------------------------------
1 cup chocolate chips, added later

Combine sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from the heat and add 1 cup chocolate chips. Beat until the chips melt. Spread on the brownies.

I'm not sure if these belong here- but here are some no-cook bites I made last week. I ended up frankestiening the recipe. I'll need to write it out, but basically its dates, coconut oil, desiccated coconut, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla essence, all thrown into the food processor, then rolled up into coconut and put in the fridge.

This is the basic idea, but I changed the amounts and left out the salt Date Coconut Protein Balls
1706294673747.png

I'm not sure if these belong here- but here are some no-cook bites I made last week. I ended up frankestiening the recipe. I'll need to write it out, but basically its dates, coconut oil, desiccated coconut, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla essence, all thrown into the food processor, then rolled up into coconut and put in the fridge.

This is the basic idea, but I changed the amounts and left out the salt Date Coconut Protein Balls
View attachment 123506
==
Looks good to me... Send 3-4 dozen for a free taste test review... insert smiley face here..

Not exactly a cookie………..
Box of club buttery cracker
1/4 lb bacon
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat 350
Cookie sheet
Either, cut bacon strip to fit or fold it over
1 egg in bowl. Dip bacon in egg
Dip into brown sugar
Place on cracker
Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper

Amish Raisin Filled Cookies

Dough Ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla

Filling Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups dark raisins (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix sugar and shortening in a bowl until creamed well.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
4. Sift the dry ingredients.
5. Add the dry mixture and milk to make a dough that can be rolled out.
6. In a saucepan, add raisins and the rest of the filling ingredients and boil.
7. Roll out the dough into 2-inch circles, cut a 1-inch hole in half of them.
8. Add a teaspoon of filling on the solid circle and top with a circle with a hole.
9. Pinch the edges to seal.
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Kitchen Sink Cookies (so named because as we used to say: "Everything in it but the kitchen sink." Maybe of this it could be said to mix it in the kitchen sink).
I used to make these often and thought I had put the recipe on here somewhere, couldn't find it.
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. soy flour
1 1/3 c. unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 c. milk powder (1/2 c. instant)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
2/3 c. raisins
2/3 c. chocolate chips (I used carob chips)
1/4 c. chopped peanuts
1/3 c. sunflower seeds (unsalted)

1/4 c. oil or melted butter
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. molasses
2 eggs, beaten
Stir all dry ingredients together.
Beat eggs in small bowl; measure the oil, then the honey, then molasses, all in same cup.
Beat all liquid ingredients together thoroughly.
Pour liquid into dry ingredients and combine until dry is moistened.
If it seems too dry, add a little milk or water (I add juice) until dough is of drop cookie consistency.
Drop cookies onto unoiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.

Latest posts

Back