Depression

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Having looked around through "Search," I can't find any threads or posts about depression. I found a few where clinical depression was mentioned but I'm talking about undiagnosed and untreated depression.
If you have found something that worked for you in treating depression, in the field of supplements or herbs, a specific vitamin or a change in diet or activities, please mention it here.
Some things I found mentioned: Vitamin D, Ashwaganda (which was spoken of like an India(n) ginseng), ginkgo, Siberian ginseng, Chinese (panax) ginseng, American ginseng (panax quinquefolius), St. John's wort, lemonbalm, passionflower, chaste tree, lavender, rosemary, chamomile. Have you tried any of these with success?
Other past research showed that psilocybin mushrooms relieved depression.

I believe saffron is also an antidepressant. It’s found in several Italian dishes. For best results defeating depression, I think eating authentic Italian saffron dishes in Italy would work best 😍
(Saffron really is an antidepressant though)

@LadyLocust I thought saffron was insanely expensive. Let's check. be right back...
This is what an ad on the south american river market place (okay, Amazon) said:
  • GOOD VIBES; BOOST ENERGY, ATTITUDE & MOOD - Rich in antioxidants, the ‘Sunshine Spice’ supports dopamine levels in the brain, protects brain cells against oxidative stress, which in turn supports memory & learning ability, energy levels and a brighter mood - the perfect supplement to sustain energy levels and a positive outlook throughout the whole day!
The prices weren't too bad at all.
I always wonder if some herbs reach a point in the body where you have to stop taking it for it to work again.

Brisk fairly long walks were a tool that I used. The kind of walk where you are pushing yourself (NOT running) but brisk walking. Of course nothing cures depression like falling in LOVE. Add in some sex, maybe a lot of sex. A shot of Tequila.

@LadyLocust I thought saffron was insanely expensive. Let's check. be right back...
This is what an ad on the south american river market place (okay, Amazon) said:
  • GOOD VIBES; BOOST ENERGY, ATTITUDE & MOOD - Rich in antioxidants, the ‘Sunshine Spice’ supports dopamine levels in the brain, protects brain cells against oxidative stress, which in turn supports memory & learning ability, energy levels and a brighter mood - the perfect supplement to sustain energy levels and a positive outlook throughout the whole day!
The prices weren't too bad at all.
I always wonder if some herbs reach a point in the body where you have to stop taking it for it to work again.
It is expensive but you don’t use much at a time.

Living on the edge, a life of adventure, tequila, sleeping with monsters (the four-legged type).

Brisk fairly long walks were a tool that I used. The kind of walk where you are pushing yourself (NOT running) but brisk walking. Of course nothing cures depression like falling in LOVE.
Long, brisk walks sounds like a winner. Exercise in any form. INSIDE when it is 95-100 miserable degrees outside. Duh hurt. Maybe it is time for the annual Summer Affectiveness Disorder to kick in. It's just too hot.
Yeah, love. That's something.

Find that bucket list of adventures you have been fearful of, grab one and ride the bliss.

A month or two (maybe the rest of your life) seeing Alaska or Western Canada. Tequila.

Put purple BATS back in your hair and go to an airconditioned shopping mall in early morning and walk briskly. (Some nice malls in Anchorage, Alaska). Tequila.

Join a dating site, just for conversation (and tequila).

Sell 8" by 10" glossy photos of Bats in your hair. I'll buy some. Buy some high quality "sipping" Tequila. And "Sip". Go to Cancun and Scuba dive. Party all night. Take up archery. Sip tequila. "Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead". Find someone who thinks you are a stunningly beautiful lady. Eat some ice cream every day. Remember "Beer is not just for breakfast, anymore".

Last edited:
I believe saffron is also an antidepressant. It’s found in several Italian dishes. For best results defeating depression, I think eating authentic Italian saffron dishes in Italy would work best 😍
(Saffron really is an antidepressant though)
Reminds me of a classic.

Telling time in Italy.

Ben
(Of Italian descent)

The two that come to mind are Lavender and St Johns wort. I can quote no studies, or sources, it's what my brain responded with.... Days to weeks later, brain may have further details, but no guarantees. :(((((
I have used both for depression.
I also walk early in mornings , mid evenings.
I also did kick boxing , and hit the punching bag.

Last edited:
I have suffered from clinical depression as a symptom of PTSD, but I refused the drugs the VA offered. I saw what they did to other guys in my PTSD program.
Instead I abstain from all alcohol and drugs. The exception was pain medication after my numerous surgeries. And with those I am very careful.
After years of abstention i can say that my episodes of real depression (versus simply feeling sad or blue) are getting more and more rare.

Try it. It may help you.

@rice paddy daddy @Sourdough I never, and I mean NEVER drink alcohol anymore. AA alumni. I don't use drugs unless I'm in the hospital. I don't smoke pot or use hallucinogenics, etc. My time of tequila is long gone.
I tried a few dating sites but they were mostly filled with egotistical guys and/or spam accounts which I saw through very quickly and reported.
I'm not my rich sisters, just keeping my head above water...
Thank you for the great suggestions, y'all.

:huggs:

I take a couple of Ashwagandha gummies in the evening for relaxation. They seem to be calming.

I may be occasionally depressed but I will never admit it.

I don't drink alcohol or smoke pot either, @Patchouli . My time of enjoying that sort of thing is over. I never smoked pot because I never learned how to inhale cigarettes. I do use CBD (without the THC) to help me sleep. It works.

Thanks @Jen I appreciate you.
Right? did you see me say here anywhere that I'm depressed and need help? Aw heck no! I could probably be drug tested at my job so would the CBD have any effect on that? I don't know if I ever want to partake of that again anyway.
Will check on the Ashwaganda, I didn't know they came in gummie form; and see about finding some ginseng, the non-rare kinds. I used to drink these little bottles of it from where I worked and wow, that was nice. lol I would get motivated.

Having looked around through "Search," I can't find any threads or posts about depression. I found a few where clinical depression was mentioned but I'm talking about undiagnosed and untreated depression.
If you have found something that worked for you in treating depression, in the field of supplements or herbs, a specific vitamin or a change in diet or activities, please mention it here.
Some things I found mentioned: Vitamin D, Ashwaganda (which was spoken of like an India(n) ginseng), ginkgo, Siberian ginseng, Chinese (panax) ginseng, American ginseng (panax quinquefolius), St. John's wort, lemonbalm, passionflower, chaste tree, lavender, rosemary, chamomile. Have you tried any of these with success?
Other past research showed that psilocybin mushrooms relieved depression.
Not me, but look into samE!! Or maybe it's SAMe!

Thanks @Jen I appreciate you.
Right? did you see me say here anywhere that I'm depressed and need help? Aw heck no! I could probably be drug tested at my job so would the CBD have any effect on that? I don't know if I ever want to partake of that again anyway.
Will check on the Ashwaganda, I didn't know they came in gummie form; and see about finding some ginseng, the non-rare kinds. I used to drink these little bottles of it from where I worked and wow, that was nice. lol I would get motivated.
CBD supposedly won't show up on workplace drug tests. My husband gets surprise tests at his work and he won't even touch them just in case.

I have tried the gummies with THC and the altered state I found myself in on just a half a gummy was awful. I felt like a cool old lady marching into a marijuana store in Washing State buying gummies though. :cool:

CBD is a fairly good analgesic and I usually have pain.

I have a 61-year relationship with Tequila. It is my longest and most enduring relationship in nearly 78 years.

Anything I've heard of here depends on the person, and the causes of the depression. CBD oil / gummies, St Johns Wort (recommended more for females) and excercise, or getting outdoors into forests etc.
I've had down days in the past, so I removed everything I could that made me worse. My boss for instance.
My illness means flare ups of pain, so I keep an eye on my diet and when I feel myself getting sluggish I know I need to take myself in hand
I think trying to get a balance in life helps a lot. I've read a homesteading book that spoke of such balance; 4 hours bread labour, 4 hours in the garden, 4 hours fun. Was it the Deerings? @Morgan101 do you know it?I have to look it up- but I feel depression is made worse by stress, (although I appreciate there is normally a key factor like a trauma that can't be fixed) and while it never goes away, it can be managed.

Back