diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had pork chops for dinner.
Not very good. Not much taste but at least they weren't dry and tough.
I defiantly didn't over eat tonight. I do not like pork chops.
The way the pigs are raised and processed they never have much flavor to me.
My wife doesn't like them either. Me on the other hand? Ohhh ... a nice thin-cut bone-in pork chop with a little salt, pepper and garlic on top then done up in the air fryer ... marvelous! But we all have different tastes.

We had pork chops for dinner.
Not very good. Not much taste but at least they weren't dry and tough.
I defiantly didn't over eat tonight. I do not like pork chops.
The way the pigs are raised and processed they never have much flavor to me.
I'm not a big chop fan either. Wife loves them so I tolerate them

I'm not a big chop fan either. Wife loves them so I tolerate them
I loved them, but haven't had one that wasn't overcooked, dry, and chewy, in years :(.
Everybody panicked over the 'trichinosis' thing and it got ruined after that. :mad:

Last edited:
I loved them, but haven't had one that wasn't overcooked, dry, and chewy, in years :(.
Everybody panicked over the 'trichinosis' thing and it got ruined after that. :mad:
She buys these big thick bone in chops and has me grill them. They are ok, I'm just not a fan. I do like the little boneless tenderloins chops with biscuits and gravy

Wowza, I used cilantro instead of parsley, and replaced the feta cheese with gueyer(sp) and swiss cheese. Awesome meal, and my granddaughter gave me 2 thumbs up!.
20231209_165614.jpg
20231209_175211.jpg

I love my Blackstone grill. My favorite is frozen corn kernels, lots of butter and a small can of diced green chili's. Cook until corn is a golden brown. Yum!

Yes, this would be perfect for a Blackstone grill. I like how you can divert the juices into the trap. Those veggies were really juicy...almost too much, but I did dice the veggies smaller than they recommended.

SO, here is my result: I lost 3 lbs. Meh....I was hoping for more but oh well, it's reasonable. Calculating...3 lbs times 3500 in a pound of fat comes out to 1500 calories a day less but some of it is water and maybe muscle so maybe 1000 cal....yeah that's about 10 cookies or a half a bag of chips...sounds about right

But now I have to do this again for a few months to get to a good weight.

One more thing: I did a rough calculation of how many calories in my typical meal and it comes out to around 1000 . That's not really much at all. 1\4 pound of ground meat is about 300 calories, plus oil to cook it in maybe another 100. Cauliflower is negligable amount so maybe 100 for the cheese sauce, potato is around 300 to a total of around 800 plus I am guessing 200 for soup.

I'm a brown rice fan, updates please!! Sounds good!!
I love rice, all kinds, except brown. When you look at the calories white rice doesn't really have much more. I think all those type of restrictions make dieting harder. If you really want to substitute for rice, you could use celery, or cauliflower almost no calories!

So now I will make some dietary changes. I've been "triggered". Knowing what I've been eating lately, I could probably bring myself back into sugar compliance just by cutting out the ice cream, cookies, and little chocolate covered almonds and crap like
THAT there is exactly what I cut out this week! ( plus chips)

My good weight is 165 lbs That is what I want to get to. At 140 I look anorexic. Our son is over 6 ft and weights 200 lbs and looks perfectly fine. I think your ideal weight has lot to do with body type/stature and height

Well, good luck to you. I am going to do another week of no sweets or chips, or extra in between meals . The soup is helping a lot , makes you feel really full

Once a month, an old retired friend and I go out for some great food. Yesterday was my turn to drive, and his turn to select the place. He chose Portillo's Restaurant, which was 40 miles away. Being on a diet, I was concerned. I let him order, I doubled his order, and I paid for the meal.
LOL this kind of extra calories i am safe from totally. We don't go out to eat and if we did, I would definitely not pick that. There is nothing on that menu I would like very much. Yeah I can eat burgers and fries, but I only eat that if there is nothing else and I don't have time ( we used to stop at burger places on trips in the past)
I feel the same way about Mexican food, mentioning that since there is a Mexican restaurant on every corner and husband likes it. I do cook him some at least once a month

pork chops we eat A LOT LOL

I buy a pork loin at Aldi ( cheap) cut it up to make 1 about 1 inch boneless chop for each of us, flatten it with a meat hammer, dredge in flour egg and panco breakcrumbs and fry it . Very good, not dry and chewey at all and does not have a huge amount of calories either

I dont live on a farm, we have a bulk order of meat once a month which is delivered to the door from the farm.
small stuff like Bacon and Sausages we buy from the farm shop 1 mile up the road.
eggs and some veg we get from a small nursery 1 mile in the other direction.
I grow some veg at home during the better months and intend to increase what I grow next spring due to some shortages in the food supply over here, it was a bad year this year weather wise for farmers.

Day # 1 of week # 2

today I am making VEGAN for lunch . Indian potato curry with coconut and hot peppers, Indian soup and mango salad, plus some sort of bread like Naan ( having baking withdrawls LOL)

I will probably have some eggs at some point today to add some protein since this meal lacks it , maybe egg sandwich in the afternoon

My daughter just gave me a tip on this: Chop up some onion and saute that with a little oil in a frying pan. Add some chopped garlic and saute a little longer. Then add the brown rice and saute still a little longer to give the rice a little edge and get some oil coating it (you're not trying to cook the rice). Then dump the entire mess, with the proper amount of water, into your rice cooker and cook as normal. She says the onion and garlic add flavor, and the oil keeps the brown rice from drying out and becoming sticky (the oil adds flavor too).

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a good plan to improve brown rice!
Thanks. We eat a lot of brown rice, but don't have a rice cooker, evenso I am going to try this the next time we boil rice.

BTW, we prefer the flavor and texture of brown rice way over bleached white rice. It's a good thing, too, since brown rice is more nutritious.

Apparently I don't understand weight loss at all. I jacked my back up a little so I didn't go to the gym this week and my wife brought half a dozen fresh donuts home. I think I lost 1 pound.

Apparently I don't understand weight loss at all. I jacked my back up a little so I didn't go to the gym this week and my wife brought half a dozen fresh donuts home. I think I lost 1 pound.
I have a friend like that.
He will eat everything left on the table and half of his wife's food and never gains a pound.
My Mom was the same way.
If I walk past the bakery section in the grocery store I gain 2 pounds just from the smell.

My trainer has told me “get 25-30 grams of protein per meal, you are active and need it to replace what you’re using every day.”

That is a lot. 5-6 oz. of meat, or two eggs and half a cup of beans plus half a protein shake. And I’m tiny! Taller women and basically all guys need more!

The US RDA is basically “eat this much at minimum so you don’t get deficiency issues”, it isn’t “eat this much so that you thrive”. Annoying. I’m so tired of all the conflicting health information.

But I definitely haven’t felt hungry since I upped my protein intake. Here’s hoping it does well for my blood sugar and various and sundry other issues.

I don't understand why I need to eat brown rice. People in China and India eat white rice and they are not fat!
It's more about the glycemic index than the calories. How fast a food can trigger a spike in blood sugar. Two foods could have the same calories, but one causes sugar to be dumped into your bloodstream quickly, while the other causes the sugar to be released more slowly.

So to help manage sugar spikes (which are a problem for both diabetics and for weight loss), brown rice is preferable to white rice. Whole wheat bread is preferable to white bread. Sweet potatoes are preferable to white potatoes. Etc.

Back