diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine what a "modern" family with two working adults and a passel of kids does to cover their meals as the week grinds on...
Our Texas families have three kids. Both mom and dad are physicians. They also live a whole food, plant-based (WFPB) lifestyle. On Sunday, Mom chops vegetables for meals that will be made the rest of the week: onions, carrots, bell peppers, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. The chopped veggies are stored in plastic containers in the frig. She doesn't have any specific meals planned for the week, but she knows that most WFPB recipes call for chopped vegetables. So, when she gets home half, or more, of her meal prep is already done.

I have been on a high protein, low carb diet for three months, also fast 12-20 hour a least once a week.
I went a week where I fast 12 hours every day.
I miss pizza, but everything else is not a big deal, protein full me up.
I ate at a buffet yesterday (Sat) at 3:00 pm & it is 2:10 pm Sunday, so I may eat something before going to bed tonight.
I have lost thirty pounds in three months Aug.24 till Dec.3, but I have gained muscle mass, so hopefully I have lost more than
thirty pounds of fat. The draw back to the diet are, no pizza or noodles, I spend less time in the bathroom & I have to wear a belt with all my paints.
My paints are not falling off, but with a wallet & cellphone I feel & look like one of those want a be rappers that you see in the street.
Oh & my knee's, joints do not hurt as much as they did when I eat a lot of sugar & cereal.
I did eat a table spoon of cranberry jelly on the 25 of November,
Fasting for 16 or more hours will burn internal fat & could save your life.
it is 12/13/2023 & I have lost 3 more pounds.
I am at my 2013 weight, when I was Fifty. :clapping:

Even though I had a few beef ribs and broccoli last light, my goal is still in sight. I'm thinking it is primarily due to eliminating bread and starch from my diet.
Screenshot_20231213_085531_Fit Profile.jpg

Lunch was good , our lamb chops are very tasty

I think I am totally over eating at night. It wasn't as hard as I thought, I think I just need to be more mindful of what I stuff in my mouth....

The soup definitely helps, I am always very full for a long while after eating lunch, even if I am not eating as many calories as before maybe. Like today, there was some potatoes left, in the past , I would have just eaten them, even if full, but now I couldn't eat them if I tried ( too full)

I have tried various things when it comes to eating in my life and eating a variety of things works best for me, just as long as I stay away from the junk. It starts at the store. If I don't buy chips, I can't eat them , very simple

Last edited:
Oh don't feel bad, Urban. We are not home, so food is weird, too much of it or nothing, and at weird times. I know there's still half a piece of cheesecake in the little fridge here I get tonight. I'm sure I've gained a lb eating junk and not doing farm chores. After Christmas is when I get serious. I like the have soup first idea, I like to make soup.

One box of Zatarain's Gumbo mix, a bag of frozen okra, sautéed chopped onions and bell peppers. and 1/2# of sliced plant-based sausage.
Hmmm I don't generally buy anything mix in a box , too many weird chemicals in those...I don't like okra, and definitely not eating some plant based sausage. LOL, sorry I asked....hahahaha! When I was a vegetarian I tried some of those faky sausages, and faky ground meat pieces, They were most definitely not something I liked. I do like tofu, in the appropriate dishes, not made into something it isn't meant to be somehow

I have made something probably similar; rice, peppers, hot peppers, onions, garlic, celery, tomatoes , cajun seasoning and sausage ( kilbasi or something)

Oh don't feel bad, Urban. We are not home, so food is weird, too much of it or nothing, and at weird times. I know there's still half a piece of cheesecake in the little fridge here I get tonight. I'm sure I've gained a lb eating junk and not doing farm chores. After Christmas is when I get serious. I like the have soup first idea, I like to make soup.
when we used to go on 3 week trips in summer , I did things like cook on the camping stove at a rest area , or a nearby State park to avoid having to go out to eat
LOL, like the illegals
Hope you get back safely and soon

week #2 day # 5

today I think I am going to make kimchi stew , no soup since it is already soupy
basically fried tofu and ground pork, onions, ginger, garlic, kimchi ( homemade) , fish sauce, Korean gojujang pepper paste, some dried korean hot pepper flakes
Son says it stinks, it sort of does, and it is super spicy, but I really like it
oh, it goes with rice of course

On the 8 hr drive here, no problem. I pack a lunch. After that, it's a problem. Don't get me wrong, tho, I really enjoyed the Cheesecake Factory meal splurge last night.
I have been there a few times, we had one in Orlando. I do like their cheese cake but not really the rest of the food much

we used to do things like get a walmart rotisserie chicken and eat it too, at least it is still just a chicken and hot, so not too much chance of getting sick from it
when all else failed we did Mcdonalds, I can honestly say at least I never got sick from the food there
I have had food poisoning twice, one time a chicken sandwich from Wendys ( NEVER eat there again , ever) and one time (stupid me...) from a piece of gas station pizza. I have also gotten sick from Taco Bell ( what on earth made me eat there I have no idea,I don't even like Mexican)
Funny thing, I have never been sick from eating at probably questionable asian buffet places. My favorite restaurant in Orlando was the mongolian bbq ( it closed down before we moved)

oh wait and I went to India and ate food there everywhere and didn't get sick!

Last edited:
Still walking 3-4 miles a day, and eating a really nice salad for lunch (lettuce, avocado, cheese, salami, sunflower seeds, and croutons, with Olive Garden Salad Dressing), and a soup at night, with a handful of Skinny Pop Popcorn as my snack, and still on a downward trend.
Screenshot_20231214_081404_Fit Profile.jpg

I can not get motivated. I don't know why.
Maybe stress or depression. Christmas does that to me.
I continue to eat things I know I shouldn't.
I'm an impulse eater. I eat something before I even think about it.
I will keep working at it and hopefully get enthused.
try to not buy any bad food, then you can't eat it. That's my problem. I go to Aldi and stock up on German chocolate and cookies. Then I eat them....so best to just not buy that stuff. If you only have healthy food in the house, you can't eat anything bad. If you go to a lot of Christmas parties, I have no advice...lol, I used to totally overeat when we still lived in Orlando and had lots of Christmas parties ( work, friends, etc).

Latest posts

Back