Electric Cars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "nightmare scenario" played out in Pakistan. Snowstorm trapped thousands in their cars and 22 died. Most died of hypothermia but some died of carbon monoxide poisoning when the snow covered and blocked the exhaust. I guess that's one point for electric...
https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/08/cold-kills-22-stuck-in-cars-in-heavy-snow-at-pakistan-resort

Here in Minnesota, we are taught by age 3 to not stay in a car when stuck or broke down, regardless of how full the gas tank is. For a low temp of only 17°F and surrounded by trees, this is sad case of unprepared stupidity. Last time I decided to go ice fishing with my uncle (last minute unprepared decision) at -10°F, wind blowing, without shelter, I had the sense to walk to the shore, tuck my sweatshirt into my pants and my pants into my socks and stuff everything with grass and reeds. I even made ear muffs by shoving folded grass into my ball cap. 7 hours later, I was the warmest one of the bunch with nothing but a $12 walmart sweatshirt looking like a scarecrow. They all had nice coats that did nothing. This is why I always keep a stack of newspapers in my car, crumpled up, it's poor man's insulation. #1 rule when on the road stuck... get out of the darned car and go do something!!! Hell, 4 feet of snow???? dig a shelter! Snow insulates well! 3 people in a snow igloo will be shedding layers in no time wishing they had a deck of cards! They learned their lesson I'm sure.

All I will say, the misconceptions that have been brought forth on this thread against electric are equivalent to Horse power vrs Gas. And which won?

It is a technology that has been put out poorly. My example will be the crap cars by manufacturers I listed previously. The Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt leading the way on stupidity to try to kill the segment. Government subsidies are going to Union companies, not Tesla.

Electric cars may not be for everyone based on the infrastructure or usage. I own a Tesla, Gas and Diesel vehicle.

You can call me a Tesla Fan Boy, but I will say this-they built the infrastructure. They built a car, even with their cheapest model that could perform as well as a Porsche I owned.

The segment does have it issues. As it grows, it will have less issues.

Never knows.... Maybe the government would like only the elite of the state can buy and use cars and the rest of the peoples have to stay and sleep at their working place? 🤪

well here is the answer to the fuel problem,,,, if you have a chit load of money,,,,,,,,,,,,

PROPANE,,,,,,,,,, it never goes bad so the propane you buy today will still be useable 50 years from now,,,,,,,,,,

buy the largest propane tank you can find and convert your Truck,Atvs and generator over to propane even a old gas tractor can be run on it

next go solar about 3 times what you really need,,,,,,,,,,,, now you can thumb your nose at the world and not worry about it

all you need is about half a mill ,,, you have that in petty cash right

I never used to be, but I am a big fan of electric cars. My mother has an electric car living in the South of England and charges it 100% from solar. She has a 20kw solar system which is more than adequate. During the recent fuel crisis, she was laughing when many other people could not get petrol. The only reason stopping me is cost. Surely its much better being able to rely on your own energy generation than having to depend on large corporations and hostile nations? At the moment I’m trying to go totally offgrid and an electric car would be perfect for me.

At the moment I’m trying to go totally offgrid and an electric car would be perfect for me.
I can see some situations where an electric vehicle would be great for off grid. Although I'd probably want something smaller than a car, more like a 4x4 golf cart type vehicle. Smaller than the large UTVs like Gators, but more ground clearance and better offroad capability than an actual golf cart. I know I am stating the obvious, but the smaller it is, the less electricity it will need.

E-Z-Go just came out with the Express 4x4.

I can see some situations where an electric vehicle would be great for off grid. Although I'd probably want something smaller than a car, more like a 4x4 golf cart type vehicle. Smaller than the large UTVs like Gators, but more ground clearance and better offroad capability than an actual golf cart. I know I am stating the obvious, but the smaller it is, the less electricity it will need.

E-Z-Go just came out with the Express 4x4.
I am actually going to look at a used E-Gator tomorrow.
I don’t think it will be enough for what I want, but enough for what my wife wants. The powered dump will save me time and trips to get rid of brush with the real tractor for her
If it makes it up my back hillside, we both win. Especially to hunt.
I will give a review if we get it.

I never used to be, but I am a big fan of electric cars. My mother has an electric car living in the South of England and charges it 100% from solar. She has a 20kw solar system which is more than adequate. During the recent fuel crisis, she was laughing when many other people could not get petrol. The only reason stopping me is cost. Surely its much better being able to rely on your own energy generation than having to depend on large corporations and hostile nations? At the moment I’m trying to go totally offgrid and an electric car would be perfect for me.
In a little mostly flat country like England i can see where an electric car could have some use. Where I live there is very little flat ground, cold snowy winters and long distances. There's no charging station anywhere around here that I know of. Plus I need a real 4 wheel drive truck for pulling heavy loads long distances. I think for some people in some parts of the country an electric could work out, but not for most rural Americans. It takes 10 minutes to fuel my truck, how long does it take to charge an EV?

In my opinion, the electric car is a massive failure as brought to market.

Tesla was obviously swimming in money (probably most of it tax dollars), but elected to install diesel-powered charging stations around the country instead of buying up a Jiffy Lube and making battery-changing stations.

If you could drive in, drop your pack, pick up a charged one, and drive off -- people would more easily accept them. And they would be convenient.

A Jiffy Lube type of facility would charge your depleted pack and install it in the next person's car.

An EV would probably be fine for people that typically drive short distances on relatively flat ground in mild weather. And they never carry much more than a few bags of groceries.
I know they've come out with some pick up trucks that appear to show some promise. But I would never buy one because of the limited range and the time to charge it while on the road, if there's even a charging station around. With my truck I get a range of over 1,000 miles. I have an extra 60 gallon fuel tank installed in the bed.

That model seems to work for propane tanks.
Shortly after high school I bought an F150 that was converted to propane. The only negative that I remember about it was the tank took up a large part of the bed. I know that on purpose built propane vehicles they've relocated the tanks between the frame, I think.

I can't see how anyone makes out with electric vehicles. You will NEVER recoup the price difference between it and a normal gasoline powered vehicle. Even with higher gas prices, the gas powered vehicle is cheaper in the long run. Between the astronomical purchase price, charging fees, and having to replace that super expensive battery every few years. It's a total money pit.

I use my tractor every day. Sometimes fo 10 minutes, sometimes for 6 hrs. I am not out plowing a field and probably in a 5-6 acre radius of the barn. I could see it working.
I tried a battery leaf blower, then weed whacker, then chainsaw. I actually preferred them to gas. The hand tools using the same battery system grew.

I find it ironic the same people that love their battery powered drill or reciprocating saw are so opposed to battery powered vehicles.

Runtime
3-6 hours with 22 kWh battery pack, depending on load.

Charging
The battery can be charged in under 8 hours from a 220VAC, 30-amp outlet or overnight from a 110VAC, 15 amp outlet.

I am assuming that discing a field is a heavy load. Disc for three hours and then wait until tomorrow to disc another three hours, etc. etc. etc.

My heavy load would be running the brush hog for 6 hrs. it could be workable. And I will assume you were quoting the small one.
Smaller but same HP as mine but smaller in size.
It maybe better as Electric- heavier because of battery packs. Save having to fill my tires.

Read an article somewhere the other day about a college student who was going to use her new electric vehicle to go home for the holidays. Seems like she said the trip was about 4-5 hours away from her campus. She had no end of troubles even finding charging stations along the way. Many had "out of order" signs on them when she DID find one. To sum it up, she barely made it home for Christmas and was not happy with her new car's performance!

Then I see this today. Over and above the high cost of EV's, Joe Biden better not let this get out. They aren't aggressively training mechanics to work on them, so there's a shortage of people in dealorships TO work on them. And I'll bet there is a wating line for the rare service shop that has someone to work on them. Man,, this story just gets worse and worse IMO.

Car Dealers Reveal Major Electric Vehicle Flaw: You Won't Be Able to Get it Serviced.

Read an article about the Great Reset the other day that said their REAL goal is to have no private ownership of cars AT ALL! Remember folks, their slogan is "You'll own nothing and you'll be happy." So once they've milked you for that exorbitant price tag up front, made it near impossible to get work done on them or recharge them, then they are going to slap purchasers with some law or executive order making ALL cars illegal to own. They have said they don't want us owning such property. And I'm sure they don't want us traveling much in the future. Can't keep an eye on the serfs if they're traveling about on the roadways, with ANY car.

Back