Electric Cars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brent. The wife and I are considering a couple EV'S, bicycles that is. The wifes girlfriend and her husband each bought one. They have range of about 55 miles. That isn't much for around here. Our thoughts were to carry them on the back of the boat. Then we could use them whenever we wanted to stop some place and go get supplies.
Thought about a couple of scooters for when the Tesla is charging. Why not have fun for an hour.
Did I ever mention camper mode? Lean the seats back, temperature is controlled. Heat or AC. Some people drop the back seat down for a bed.

Hey Brent. The wife and I are considering a couple EV'S, bicycles that is. The wifes girlfriend and her husband each bought one. They have range of about 55 miles. That isn't much for around here. Our thoughts were to carry them on the back of the boat. Then we could use them whenever we wanted to stop some place and go get supplies.
They are fun anyways. Be wary of the high end ones as they hve more power than you expect. Simon Cowell broke his tail bone from falling off one when he hit the throttle too hard!

I quite fancy something like this as a back up vehicle

TRANSPORT Electric UBCO-2x2-utility-bike-.jpg

I've read a little about electric cars (not a lot) I see the range is anywhere from 200 to 250 mi. per charge . I'm thinking thats tested like everything else. My concern is , how far will they go in the mountains in sub zero weather , 6-8 ' of snow with the heat on ?
NYS is going electric in 2034 ( i probably won't be hear) but my grandkids will .

I've read a little about electric cars (not a lot) I see the range is anywhere from 200 to 250 mi. per charge . I'm thinking thats tested like everything else. My concern is , how far will they go in the mountains in sub zero weather , 6-8 ' of snow with the heat on ?
NYS is going electric in 2034 ( i probably won't be hear) but my grandkids will .
The two enemies of anything battery powered are:
A) High loads
B) Low temperatures

You just described a scenario with both.

Cities with parking garages . I can't imagine the amount of charging stations there will be in these city parking garages and people who have to park on the streets . What about renters , whos going to pay for the charging stations ? Is the power grid going to handle it ? California grid can't handle what they have now . NYC , hope their the first blackout .

Cities with parking garages . I can't imagine the amount of charging stations there will be in these city parking garages and people who have to park on the streets . What about renters , whos going to pay for the charging stations ? Is the power grid going to handle it ? California grid can't handle what they have now . NYC , hope their the first blackout .
But you don't understand. The elites think they are the only ones who should be able to drive around. They would be perfectly fine with a situation where the masses can't drive. Then they won't have to worry about traffic jams while they are driving to the airport to fly somewhere on their personal jets (which will NEVER be electric!)

I just looked it up , there are 1.6 million cars in NYC . Commercial airlines used 94 billion gallons of fuel in 2020 ,just so people can go see things in other countries , but thats OK . I do fear whats instore for my grandkids and great grand kids , which I have a bunch of .

But you don't understand. The elites think they are the only ones who should be able to drive around. They would be perfectly fine with a situation where the masses can't drive. Then they won't have to worry about traffic jams while they are driving to the airport to fly somewhere on their personal jets (which will NEVER be electric!)
Yup , the elite want to turn us into Gong Farmers

I don’t advocate for most of the junk electric cars being put out.I wouldn't own the Porshe, Polestar (Volvo), GM or Nissan. There is no way to quickly charge them.
An electric car that has a range of 300 miles. Sitting in no go traffic and the only thing running is the heater and radio.
A gas car with the same range, running, is idling to run that heater and radio In the same traffic
Which one will run out of fuel first?
Based off camper mode, which can run AC in electric all night long, I’ll put the money on the electric lasting longer.
Gas car will run out on idle quicker.
Currently there is a gas station at every highway exit. So current infrastructure is in favor of gas.
In the past 5 years, I have seen electric infrastructure built at the same level up the main highway in a populous state. It’s still not perfect. But the company that did it, is building their own infrastructure.
Did the Govt pay for gas stations at every exit? An electric car company did and it wasn’t any I mentioned above.
I still say Telsa could open up their charging network, never build another car, and still be the most profitable electric charging company. John D Rockefeller would be jealous.

Sorry, but "Which will run out sooner" is a nonsensical question which is impossible to calculate -- entirely too many variables.

Electric cars are for the sole purpose of controlling us. They pollute equally, and possibly more considering the disposal of batteries.

They are yet another example of the public being drawn into a delusion -- for the benefit of government.

But if they must exist, their battery banks and fueling stations should've been designed such that you drop your bank and get a new one and drive away in minutes.

The preposterous idea that you must sit and wait for them to charge shows they were poorly designed on purpose. Imagine waiting for an oil refinery to crack your gasoline at the pump...

A gas car with the same range, running, is idling to run that heater and radio In the same traffic
Which one will run out of fuel first?
Based off camper mode, which can run AC in electric all night long, I’ll put the money on the electric lasting longer.
Gas car will run out on idle quicker.
I think the gist was that the cold was severely degrading the batteries. I have a digital camera that won't even work on a full charge in freezing weather unless I keep it warm in a pocket. Happened a few days ago. I got ready to take a picture of a deer and it said the battery pack needed recharging. I put it in my shirt pocket inside my coat and then when it warmed up it was fully charged again. Cold weather doesn't change the amount of energy you get out of a tank of gas.

If you are stuck in a snowstorm with an electric car in winter, you will freeze to death after about an hour if the battery is dead and you have no warm clothes.

The other thing is, the government here wants to convert everything to electric cars and ban gasoline cars, BUT our energy grid is already almost collapsing in the winter and there is no telling where the extra power will come from to charge electric cars.
The energy prices here for electricity and gas hit 50% and even more, and one now still puts various functioning nuclear power plants forever off and ensures that there is the ultimate blackout.

This guy tested 2 Tesla models based on the 12 hour traffic jam. His temperatures in MI were colder than VA were.Interior temp set to 70 degrees, both at 90% charge

At the 12hr Mark
Model Y down to 51% charge. Calculating out would last 36 hours
Model X down to 47% charge Calculating out would last 28 hours.
A gas engine at idle, would last the same.

Watch with an open mind and some of your misconceptions will be changed.

Latest posts

Back