Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iu

Last year in my birdbaths I had medium sized smooth smallish rocks in the bottom. There might have been a penny too.
Last fall I dumped the rocks into another area to help with drainage and the birdbaths are now turning green and funky, even though I clean them every day with the hose blasting at the interior surfaces.
I guess I’d better get more rocks and another penny.
And by the way, I’m not seeing as many birds as previous summers. Cardinals are still around with fledglings, always the little Carolina wrens, occasionally the doves, but not much else. Still hearing the owls once in awhile so maybe that’s the problem.

Wasn’t sure where else to put this, but the garden time has been good this year. I’ve seen hummingbirds — we’ve never had them in our yard — nearby, but not in. Today I saw a new-to-me bumblebee with a broad orange stripe, didn’t get a picture or it’d be in the Post a Photo thread.

The rabbits think our apples are the best. So do the squirrels. I can’t argue. If we have fat and happy rabbits and squirrels eating the apples, that’s fine by me, we’ve got more than we can eat, and frankly more than I can reach, even with the pole picker.

It’ll sound weird to say this, but I found the corpse of a frog, too. A frog! Fully grown, not a baby. We don’t even have a fountain on our property, although I would like to get one, or a birdbath, or something. I’m thrilled they’re even here, and it makes me feel good that my place is somewhere the wildlife are enjoying, even in the middle of the suburbs.

(Yes I know this means we probably have rats and mice too — but we also have at least one garter snake, so there’s that.)

Wasn’t sure where else to put this, but the garden time has been good this year. I’ve seen hummingbirds — we’ve never had them in our yard — nearby, but not in. Today I saw a new-to-me bumblebee with a broad orange stripe, didn’t get a picture or it’d be in the Post a Photo thread.

The rabbits think our apples are the best. So do the squirrels. I can’t argue. If we have fat and happy rabbits and squirrels eating the apples, that’s fine by me, we’ve got more than we can eat, and frankly more than I can reach, even with the pole picker.

It’ll sound weird to say this, but I found the corpse of a frog, too. A frog! Fully grown, not a baby. We don’t even have a fountain on our property, although I would like to get one, or a birdbath, or something. I’m thrilled they’re even here, and it makes me feel good that my place is somewhere the wildlife are enjoying, even in the middle of the suburbs.

(Yes I know this means we probably have rats and mice too — but we also have at least one garter snake, so there’s that.)
Love little vignettes like this, you describe all the stuff you have found in your yard. I post some of my stuff like this in @Pearl 's thread about her property. Comparing notes. I used to find living toads in bags of open potting soil or tucked into a flower pot with a plant.
Today I noticed the squirrel had dug a deeper hole, about 3 inches and later saw that he had his hind legs and part of his butt in the hole.
Anything to keep cool, I water the soil there at least once a day to assist.

Those apples sound good. You have wild rabbits? Something has been washing up in the bird bath, I guess a raccoon there too.
One this little plot of land, less than 1/4 acre, we have had snakes, large spiders, and continually see Texas spiny lizard, Mediterranean geckos, and anoles. A few birds are coming by again.

Love little vignettes like this, you describe all the stuff you have found in your yard. I post some of my stuff like this in @Pearl 's thread about her property. Comparing notes. I used to find living toads in bags of open potting soil or tucked into a flower pot with a plant.
Today I noticed the squirrel had dug a deeper hole, about 3 inches and later saw that he had his hind legs and part of his butt in the hole.
Anything to keep cool, I water the soil there at least once a day to assist.

Those apples sound good. You have wild rabbits? Something has been washing up in the bird bath, I guess a raccoon there too.
One this little plot of land, less than 1/4 acre, we have had snakes, large spiders, and continually see Texas spiny lizard, Mediterranean geckos, and anoles. A few birds are coming by again.
We do have wild rabbits! Not too many, since most of our neighbors have dogs, and there are hawks and owls in the neighborhood.

But I like them, and our yard is mostly a free space for them to roam. We don’t have a dog, and we have plenty of grass for them to eat, so usually we have one or two a year that just stick around and enjoy our place and leave big rabbit-eaten patches in the lawn. I would much rather have bunnies nibbling the grass and putting it to good use than spraying it or trying to keep them out.

I do cover our garden beds on all open sides, including the top, with bird netting. I tried going without, but the deer apparently are never convinced they actually don’t like tomatoes. I’ve never seen the rabbits in them, and the squirrels only once or twice — but we do have something like eight pine trees, so the squirrels tend to fill up on pine nuts instead.

Hey yall, I'm gonna yell about this everywhere! Did you know that you can change your screen to dark mode here on the forum now? It used to be in the older software, or something, and now because someone asked, dear @Swing put in the order ticket for it and we've got dark mode. Check it out!!
Go to Your Account>Preferences>Style

Hey yall, I'm gonna yell about this everywhere! Did you know that you can change your screen to dark mode here on the forum now? It used to be in the older software, or something, and now because someone asked, dear @Swing put in the order ticket for it and we've got dark mode. Check it out!!
Go to Your Account>Preferences>Style
TY TY TY!!!!!

Back