Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1717871566423.png
1717871631352.png
1717871720979.png

Great day outside, the onions are small but I needed a few. Harvested first broccoli also, and more strawberries, planted out turnip seedlings and potted up a few perennials I picked up for a quid each in the supermarket. Also planted cabbage and mange tout seeds for stir fries, and more spinach.

^^^...What do You do with a Plant that is Toxic to Humans as well as Pets...?!?

Last edited:
^^^...What do You do with a Plant that is Toxic to Humans as well as Pets...?!?

A lot of toxic plants are used in herbal medicine. Most pharmaceuticals are toxic, even motrin meets the definition. It’ll wreck your liver as would comfrey, if used incorrectly.

I would only use comfrey in a pinch and then just externally as a poultice, but I would use it if necessary. Meaning I couldn’t get one of several other similar plants, medicinally speaking.

If you wish to read some of the finer points about comfrey start at post #118…

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/medicine-plant-of-the-day.15853/page-4#post-501519

Sorry, I know that and I was asking Magpie what She did with it...!!?

dont people use comfrey as a liquid fertilizer something another?
See the link Peanut posted to a Post in a Thread they started years ago...:eek:

See the link Peanut posted to a Post in a Thread they started years ago...:eek:
yes..peanut uses about anything medicinally..but some gardeners use it in bulk as fertilizer both compost and as tea.

yall triggered a memory for me......i took poison oak liquid years ago !!

in effort to get immune to the stuff i put drops of it in my orange juice every morning to build up myself...days later...guess what..i broke out with it...lol..i tried over and over...but couldnt get it to happen. just to allergic to the stuff.

Sorry, I know that and I was asking Magpie what She did with it...!!?

I’m happy for you, but many people read this thread, some looking for information. Some may not know comfrey or how it’s toxic. A few posts in another thread adds context and might be helpful to a curious reader. That's what we do here, share. It’s what made this forum a great place. :)

Just a Finger-tip away and Updated "last updated - April 23, 2024"

https://www.organicfacts.net/comfrey.html

Took all of 3 seconds to find w/o searching thru Old Threads and Posts, an Informed Consumer is Our Most Important Client...

i think geoff lawton famous permaculture guy uses comfrey as a fast growing plant for chop and drop he does to build up matter on ground.

one place i hike wild comfrey grows every where in those woods.

A month or so ago I had 800-1000 garlic plants.

20240406_135326_HDR.jpg

Today 0.

All wiped out. Googling says "white rot". Picture from the web.

White-Rot-on-a-Garlic-Plant.jpg

So no garlic this year. I will have to buy all new seed stock. The wild garlic variety will have to start again from the beginning. That is 7.5 pounds of seed garlic to replace the loss.

I will have to switch to spuds in those beds and treat the soil for near future.

Better to learn now than after SHTF.

Ben

I buy my plants from a nursery, not a box store. I’ve gotten great plants for 20yrs but something is wrong this year, the plants didn’t grow. All these peppers should be 25-30inches tall. Instead they are 12-15inches tall. Even the basil is smallish. I called a couple friends I knew bought peppers where I did… same problem. Big picture, i'll have enough jalapeno and cayenne to dry for kitchen spice so being small won't matter. A pint of each is all i need. Anyone else have growth issues from nursery plants? Pic 1.

20240609_pa02.jpg

Anyway, I’ll have a few bell peppers. The cayennes look good too, just short. Pics 2/3/4

20240609_pbel55.jpg20240609_pcayn36.jpg20240609_pcayn43.jpg

I got a few hot banana peppers, and jalapeno’s, producing but short! Pics 5/6

20240609_photban35.jpg20240609_pjala34a.jpg

This last one is tiny, barely 6” tall. It was supposed to be tabasco peppers but they’re not, the peppers are too large. I don’t know what they are. Guess I’ll try one and see if they are good.

20240609_ptab04a.jpg

Last edited:
I buy my plants from a nursery, not a box store. I’ve gotten great plants for 20yrs but something is wrong this year, the plants didn’t grow. All these peppers should be 25-30inches tall. Instead they are 12-15inches tall. Even the basil is smallish. I called a couple friends I knew bought peppers where I did… same problem. Big picture, i'll have enough jalapeno and cayenne to dry for kitchen spice so being small won't matter. A pint of each is all i need. Anyone else have growth issues from nursery plants? Pic 1.

View attachment 154552

Anyway, I’ll have a few bell peppers. The cayennes look good too, just short. Pics 2/3/4

View attachment 154553View attachment 154554View attachment 154555

View attachment 154556View attachment 154557

This last one is tiny, barely 6” tall. It was supposed to be tabasco peppers but they’re not, the peppers are too large. I don’t know what they are. Guess I’ll try one and see if they are good.

View attachment 154558
No peppers this year, but last year I planted them 12" apart in a raised garden bed, no side walls & lots of compost.
I had so many banana peppers I gave them away by the plastic grocery bag full.
Sorry you are having a problem, maybe dwarf variety mixed in the seeds, never heard of "a lot" of plant being stunted.

View attachment 154552

View attachment 154553View attachment 154554View attachment 154555

View attachment 154556View attachment 154557

View attachment 154558
Mine are small as well, always grow my own from seed. No idea why they are like that.

Neb Sorry to hear about the garlic. Thats terrible. If my harvest goes well, I'd be glad to send you some of 4 varities. I should know in a month or so.
Peanut Not sure about the peppers, mine have done ok so far, decent growth. I was late getting them out so they are just starting to produce a little
Thank you!

I have been growing garlic in those raised beds for 7-8 years with the only issue being the wild turkey nesting in the beds. I have always had an abundance of garlic to use as seed stock, our usage and given away as gifts. Now it is start over.

I have a few thoughts but not sure which apply.

1) I was growing wild garlic which is native to the garden area but grown over 2 years to produce large cloves. Judging by the evidence, they may have been the first affected seeing all evidence of them and their leaves were absent. They were up hill from the other varieties. The fungus will run down hill.

2) All of the raised beds were topped off with 6" of mushroom manure and leaf compost from the same truck load. Contaminated soil?

3) Previous year was grown in in my back yard nursery. Maybe seed stock contaminated from my nursery?

4) A mild winter followed by a wet temperate spring?

Time may tell.

Ben

@Neb I'd go with #4. I had similar weather. I've been in the woods weekly since feb.

This year i'm seeing a lot more fungus than the last several yrs. especially the last month. Not just the normal mushrooms which are flourishing, I'm seeing slimes, stringy growths on the surface of downed trees, unusual items.

This fungus may be from an introduced source. Could have been there for years waiting for the right conditions. Hard to say, might never be sure of the source.

Back