Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okra is starting to bloom, cowpeas, watermelon, lima beans, cantaloupe, corn and beets are coming up. I bought a little cart to help haul stuff around and it came in pretty handy this evening!

Attachments

• IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6053.JPG
    IMG_6053.JPG
    562.5 KB · Views: 0
Okra is starting to bloom, cowpeas, watermelon, lima beans, cantaloupe, corn and beets are coming up. I bought a little cart to help haul stuff around and it came in pretty handy this evening!
always looking great App !

Garlic Seeds, Pack of 3000+ Garlic Seeds for Planting https://a.co/d/06hUGE1q

Ben
It isn't easy to find info about growing garlic from seed! I am parking this info here so I can find it.

This article had a lot of info about garlic seeds.

Here is a cut n paste about how to get the seeds started.

"
Garlic seeds should be given a bleach soak prior to planting to help protect them from contamination, followed by a cold treatment to shorten dormancy. Soak the garlic seeds in a 1% solution of household bleach (1 teaspoon bleach in 2 cups water) for 20 minutes, rinse the seeds, distribute the seeds on moist paper towels, place the seeds in a plastic sack, and store in a refrigerator for approximately four weeks. We informally tested the importance of this step by planting 26 seeds without the bleach and cold treatment. Only one seed weakly germinated and subsequently died. At the same time, we planted 51 seeds that had received the bleach and cold treatment. The germination rate of those seeds was 13.7%, about what was expected for first generation seeds.
"

After they sprout treat like onions. First year will not have cloves and called rounds. Plant the rounds in fall like cloves. Normal garlic after that.

Ben

well my garden is looking a bit better even if its hot and dry...my favorite small pepper plants are finally growing...i dont know why but peppers really are slow and take WAY more nitrogen that you think.

trees are looking decent now..trying to recover from damage now finally..hopefully they get more growth on them before winter hits...not all are recovering sadly.

i think i might be learning some new skills now...we shall see..report on that in fall/winter after things start dying back before i can tell.

Reassessed everything yesterday and concluded I might get courgettes, won't get tomatoes and as something ate my winter broccoli overnight there will be none of it either.
Everything is way behind, and the weather is staying bad. Picked berries and made jam, and started planting winter potatoes from some sprouting in a bag. I intend to plant some every two weeks in the poly or tubs to bulk up stocks over winter. Potatoes are incredibly expensive here, to the point we don't have them as much.
Waiting on winter onion sets to appear as well, have mine drying, will plait some and freeze some. The strawberries are great and I'm starting to pot new shoots.

Keep working on your gardens Magpie and Elkhound! Consider options that will solve a problem you have recently had or are experiencing. Netting? Cold weather covers? Putting up a high tunnel takes away so many detriments to growing food.

Nice job getting jam made Magpie! I’m behind on that. Made a bunch of strawberry jam a few weeks ago, but we are totally out of blackberry jam and it’s my personal favorite.

The potatoes are close to finishing up and suffering from a lack of rain ...

20240715_144310_HDR.jpg

But the True Potato Seed plants are looking good. If I didn't know better I would not know they were potatoes.

It will be interesting to see what types of spuds they produce.

Ben

View attachment 157435

But the True Potato Seed plants are looking good. If I didn't know better I would not know they were potatoes.

Ben
We will be waiting patiently to find out!!😉

I had a bunch of volunteer potatoes that I guess we missed digging up last year, so I've been harvesting them....3 buckets full so far, red potatoes.
Yesterday was so crazy...in ER all day, neglected the garden, so I've been running water on it all day today. 105 right now, you could melt out there.
Picked five cucumbers today.

Still picking blueberries, about two gallons a day.
Wild dwarf blueberries (deer berries) are still green. They are not as big or as sweet as the hybrid varieties.

The potatoes from last year @Amish Heart what a way to live!
@joel I've bought some Texas grown blueberries and they just are not that great. Ones grown in the northeast seem to be the best. We used to buy as many as we could from a Mennonite family near us in MD every summer then freeze them. They'd get them from NJ.

pulled a 4 ft high pile of weeds this morning, son tilled it with our crappy little hand tiller and I put seeds in the ground , broccoli, rutabagas ( found some seeds from a few years ago, hope they work) , cabbage and kohlrabi, plus in another area I dug up some weeds and made a dirt pile to plants some more butternut squash. I already have some growing but you can never have too many of those, they have a lot of uses and they sell well also.
So one garden is looking better, hope it stays warm long enough for all this stuff to grow

we did also dig up some potatoes in the other garden, and they look surprisingly well considering they got covered in weeds, dried up and got eaten by bugs

never ever heard of garlic seed...its always been grown from garlic cloves or the bulbis it has on top from when it flowers....i be highly suspect of that....!

p.s. that picture is onion too.
I have a garlic that is getting the top like onions do. I left 1 to see what it would do. I need to check it or I might end up with garlic all over next year 😬

I read something about first year garlic grows much like an onion. They don't grow cloves but a single ball. After the ball goes Through a winter it will split into cloves.

Or so I read.

Ben
There are also single bulb garlics. I have a bunch my mom gave me. I don’t care for them. Thought I planted regular ones and ended up with some more of those things. I just put them in compost. I like regular ol’ garlic. 🧄

There are also single bulb garlics. I have a bunch my mom gave me. I don’t care for them. Thought I planted regular ones and ended up with some more of those things. I just put them in compost. I like regular ol’ garlic. 🧄
In a nutshell as I understand....

The scapes will split open favoring bulbiles which are genetic clones of the parent. There will also be flowers that allow cross-pollination to yield new plants.

The bulbiles will grow rounds the first year. Planted for another year and they produce cloves.

Seeds grown out will produce rounds.

Harvesting scapes can be used in salads etc. With no scape the garlic develops the cloves.

I hope that helps.

Ben

In a nutshell as I understand....

The scapes will split open favoring bulbiles which are genetic clones of the parent. There will also be flowers that allow cross-pollination to yield new plants.

The bulbiles will grow rounds the first year. Planted for another year and they produce cloves.

Seeds grown out will produce rounds.

Harvesting scapes can be used in salads etc. With no scape the garlic develops the cloves.

I hope that helps.

Ben
some garlic bulbiles will grow and form a divided clove the first year. martin heirloom is one of them. martin said planting bulbiles was cheapest and fastest way to get a large quantity of seed stock for next growing season.

some garlic bulbiles will grow and form a divided clove the first year. martin heirloom is one of them. martin said planting bulbiles was cheapest and fastest way to get a large quantity of seed stock for next growing season.
Now that is interesting.

Cutting the scapes in buckets is an option.

Ben

Now that is interesting.

Cutting the scapes in buckets is an option.

Ben
martin heirloom usually has 4 to 5 cloves first season from bulbiles.

they wont be big cloves but big enough to plant in fall and get big nice size full sized heads from those small cloves.

I can't seem to grow garlic. I like the elephant garlic and buy it from someone at the market, and she tells me she just sticks them in the ground and they grow. I stick them in the ground and they disappear. What am I doing wrong? I finally tried in a small raised bed, same thing, no garlic
soil: clay with a lot of composted manure in it, everything else grows gigantic unless the bugs eat it or worms. But the garlic never grows at all

I know people that just has elephant garlic as a flower & never eat it. It grows wild.
But I had sunchokes, horseradish & mint.
Everyone said it wlll take the place.
Deer killed the sun chokes & the rest lasted about 24 months.
So I been there.

View attachment 157435

Ben
Checking the TPS today and noticed these.

20240717_135123.jpg

Anyone care to venture a guess?

Ben

The heat we’ve been having for the almost two weeks is killing my garden. Tomatoes are marbles, except for the plums and cherry.peppers aren’t even happy. They are only getting just a little bit big and then the next day totally rotted. Green beans, Lima beans are doing good though.

Back