Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This AM that One Hibby 🐝 beaming with Color :

I took over the Garden and Yard Duties about 1 n1/2 years ago from Me Good Friend and Neighbor when I explained Me situation ($) with Him and that I needed to 🐝 Mobile... He said "I can respect that as My Dad does the same thing to keep in shape"... he even got Me a power Mower on the Cheap and it works Grrrrrr8...!!:thumbs: He would use a Kubota Rider and His Son would go 1st with a Weed-Whacker and cut everything down...!!! I noticed 3 of these Hibbies growing next to fence posts and decided Me wanted to see what colors they will bring...!! So far Me is Happier than a pig in slop...!

Attachments

• June222024 001.jpg
    June222024 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • June222024 003.jpg
    June222024 003.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • June222024 002.jpg
    June222024 002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My spuds have finally all broke the surface, super late this year. Normally they are about 6-7 inches above ground by about now. We planted them the same time as alway, being a few days before Memorial Day. It’s just been super cold, which was the same story last year. I hit them with a shot of miracle grow to kick start the growth. The weather has apeared to have turned the corner with highs in the upper 60s all week with sun. Near 20 hour of sun will have them growing pretty quickly.

Something I don't see everyday :

Attachments

• June242024 001.jpg
    June242024 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 002.jpg
    June242024 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 003.jpg
    June242024 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Backyard still Blooming making 🐝 's Happy...

Attachments

• June242024 004.jpg
    June242024 004.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 005.jpg
    June242024 005.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 006.jpg
    June242024 006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 007.jpg
    June242024 007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
In a drought here . Been watering the garden every evening for about a couple of weeks . Yesterday I dug a hole about a foot deep to place a chopping block for splitting firewood . All the way to the bottom of that hole was powder dry . -- Been fighting deer , ground hog, rabbits and birds to produce food for the table . The critters basically won the battle over the okra as they apparently like the leaves . I caged the few remaining okra plants in an attempt to hopefully produce seeds for next year . Overall however can say we have been harvesting produce despite all the obstacles thrown at me this year .

Pics of that Grass the Neighbor left 4 Me to gather up and use as mulch...

and His Front yard after mowing close to the ground..

The white milk gallon bottom marks our boundary, upper part is his yard.

Attachments

• June242024 009.jpg
    June242024 009.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 014.jpg
    June242024 014.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 013.jpg
    June242024 013.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 012.jpg
    June242024 012.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 011.jpg
    June242024 011.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 010.jpg
    June242024 010.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • June242024 008.jpg
    June242024 008.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Friends picking peas late this afternoon. It was still hot out there, about 100. The shade helped. I helped them for a short bit.

Found these tommy toes, local name. I remember buying the plants for dad, wasn’t sure where he set them out. It looks like he forgot about them too. Glad I found them, they had started to blister in the heat. They get odd spots of color and go south overnight.

20240624_165457a.jpg20240624_230501a.jpg20240624_230551a.jpg

Harvested a potato out of a flower pot in Nxy's garden pot.
Yesterday, Estelle ate harvested a couple handfuls of green beans.
I am glad my grandchildren like to garden.
Charlie ate dirt.
Reign threw dirt at Charlie.
But they had fun.
Am glad to pass family gardening skills to the next generation.
Me, I'll shop at Farmer's Markets while they explore the world of gardening.

Last edited:
Two questions for you folks if someone could advise I'd appreciate it. I planted three pieces of ginger (bought especially, organic) and nothing has happened. I even scrapped back the soil a little in case I planted them too deeply in the pots. Nothing, zilch, its been months. Do I scrap them, or keep watering in hope?

I also have begun lifting my garlic. Some of the bulbs have tiny bulbs growing above the main bulb as in attached. Should I replant these?

Ginger Cold Hardiness and Site Requirements​

Ginger plants grow best in warm, humid locations. They prefer part shade with two to five hours of dappled sunlight each day. They cannot tolerate locations with strong winds or poorly draining soil. In poorly draining soil, ginger roots may develop stunted or distorted roots, or they may just rot. The best soil for ginger in the garden is rich, loose, loamy soil. Plants should be mulched after planting to retain soil moisture. During dry periods, ginger plants should not be allowed to dry out and will benefit from a regular, light misting. Ginger rhizomes can be cut up and planted, much like potatoes. Each section that is cut off to be planted should have at least one eye. If you plan to plant ginger root sections from a grocery store, you should soak the rhizomes for 24 hours before planting. Ginger plants in the garden will benefit from spring feeding with a fertilizer that contains plenty of phosphorus. Slow-release fertilizers can also be used.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/ginger-root.16507/

Ginger Root aka Zingiber officinate... It's easy to tincture, just peel it then slice into thin slices. Very similar to Turmeric (its cousin) but not as messy, don't stain like turmeric. Fresh ginger root from a grocery store is fine, I did buy the organic version. Fresh root, std 1:2 tincture. Ginger tincture is easy for beginners. (reaching a 1:2 ratio with some plants can be difficult)

The neighborhood terrors thought I have coolest rain gauge ever.
Old miniature stock tank, I bought at yard sale for $10.
They even delivered it to my house.
Last night's storm delivered 1.2 inches of rain into my stock tank.
They thought my tank was cool.
Until I mentioned that mud.
They playing with was cow poop.
Hopefully will start filling it with dirt tomorrow.
Would like to loosen up the plug.
So I don't have cow poop slurry in the tank.
Now I am the one who is amused at them.

Peas and more peas, friends picked another 5 bushels this afternoon on halves. She'll run them through the pea sheller tonight. I sent 60pint freezer bags so they'll go ahead and bag them for my folks.
A pea sheller 🤔. I have thumbs 🫣

The new Taylor shellers are only $750. My grandmother got a taylor about '67. I ordered new rollers for it in 2005. A cousin and i used it for several years, think he has it now. It's easy to adjust... They've made the same basic model for decades, same motors, rollers etc. They have plenty of parts, just call them up!

The new ones have to jump thru federal hoops, covers on everything... else they couldn't get insc. But it's still the same basic sheller. These people coined the phrase ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'🤣

Taylor Lil' Pea Sheller (Model 675)
Your Price:
$749.95

https://peasheller.net/Item/TaylorPeaSheller

Sheller.jpg
sheller lkl.jpg

Last edited:
The new Taylor shellers are only $750. My grandmother had a taylor. I ordered new rollers for it in 2005. A cousin and i used it for several years, think he has it now. It's easy to adjust... They've made the same basic model for decades, same motors, rollers etc. They have plenty of parts, just call them up!

The new ones have to jump thru federal hoops, covers on everything... else they couldn't get insc. But it's still the same basic sheller. These people coined the phrase ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'🤣

Your Price:
$749.95

View attachment 156311View attachment 156312

i miss the bayou gardener

Walked the dog near the rhubarb patch. It is about chest high. The four mounds cover an area about 4’-5’X20’. Dad started them in old tires before he died and they were pretty weak when I took them over. Some house plant dirt from dead houseplants and about half a gallon of old coffee grounds a year. I also toss in crab or shrimp shells, or fish, when I get it.

The new Taylor shellers are only $750. My grandmother got a taylor about '67. I ordered new rollers for it in 2005. A cousin and i used it for several years, think he has it now. It's easy to adjust... They've made the same basic model for decades, same motors, rollers etc. They have plenty of parts, just call them up!

Your Price:
$749.95

View attachment 156311View attachment 156312
for sure taylor is established sheller....friend got industrial model since its their business and does several acres of peas...i wanna say the thing does a bushel in 5 minutes...i was visiting a certain area...a few times..and local mom and pop feed store had a sheller for public use.

Latest posts

Back