Growing mushrooms

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Let’s start a thread on growing mushrooms, mostly for food or medicinal. I bought a kit from Walmart.
Some of us might be situated by a wooded area to harvest wild growth mushrooms.
Or situated to purchase everything needed to get some started.
If you grow mushrooms please share your information.
@MoBookworm1957 you mentioned mushrooms in garden 2024 thread.

I have grown some mushrooms from my own logs i cut and inoculated with spore from this place https://www.fieldforest.net/ and some from e-bay too.

I have grown shiitake,blue dolphins and one lions mane...it was least productive.

edit...i tried chicken of the woods but it was 100% failure.

Last edited:
years back i tried growing some mushrooms from a kit--pretty sure they were just button mushrooms. grew them in a bucket in closet---terrific yields. , i was really surprised. i think i dehydrated most of them, . totally forgot aobut doing that---thanks for this thread and reminder. i think i will try that again, it was simple enough i can still do that.

Well I tried growing mushrooms last year.
50% failure.
But the 50% that failed was a 100% win.
It kept the neighborhood terrors out of my garden.
And they learned a bit of math, science, at the same time.

Reactions: Neb
Do tell, @MoBookworm1957 how did the terrors learn math and science?
This is awesome to read y’all’s comments.
I think my LH had grown Reishi, it grew well but I wasn’t in the right place in my mind to do anything with it. And @elkhound and @Amish Heart my my memory is so bad, I forgot the words you’re using, substrate, inoculation.
Is this an okay time of year to get something started? For my area, probably yes.
And @Hooch I’m sorry, I don’t think we’ll be discussing growing those kinds of mushrooms openly.

;)

I think my LH had grown Reishi, it grew well but I wasn’t in the right place in my mind to do anything with it. And @elkhound and @Amish Heart my my memory is so bad, I forgot the words you’re using, substrate, inoculation.
Is this an okay time of year to get something started? For my area, probably yes.
And @Hooch I’m sorry, I don’t think we’ll be discussing growing those kinds of mushrooms openly.

;)
Inoculation is putting spores into your logs or whatever medium you are growing the mushrooms on/in.You drill holes and fill with spore paste or drive wooden dowels containing spore into holes,then cover all holes and end of logs with wax. This helps keep other stuff from getting in and growing.

For logs you need to cut in winter and do everything well before spring time.

;)
Understood lol....those are for research purposes only.. anyway ;)

I would like to grow some medicinal kind and mini bells to dehydrate but growing conditions are not great here in winter..gets too cold n hard to maintain good temps.

And @Hooch I’m sorry, I don’t think we’ll be discussing growing those kinds of mushrooms

Latest posts

Back