Hardening your home against attack

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, you live in a gated community. I would assume that means one way in and one way out. That means the bad guys could control your only means to drive out of the property. Is your BOL within walking distance? You will also need to leave gun port slits in your barricaded window. You can't shoot the bad guys if you can't see them.

If I remember correctly, you live in a gated community. I would assume that means one way in and one way out. That means the bad guys could control your only means to drive out of the property. Is your BOL within walking distance? You will also need to leave gun port slits in your barricaded window. You can't shoot the bad guys if you can't see them.

That I do.
They better have a seriuos blockade if they want to keep me in.
I'm on the sixth fairway with a brick fence.
I can easily get over the brick fence,of course other can do as well,and ambush them from their back side.
Getting locked in is the least of my worries.

Kind of pricey, but just updated the grocery's hurricane shutters with extra heavy duty motorized version (with the optional override feature.) For hurricanes, we didn't need the speed so much, but if I want to keep a hoard from stripping the shelves, these should do the job. It's like a tomb with the shutters down and the lights off! Still need to get the loading dock shutters installed. No doors left exposed!

Sometimes you don’t have to spend a lot.
I picked up a mighty mule driveway alarm for $40 on clearance a couple years ago. Worked last night at 2 AM when a car came up my drive. When awakened,I ran past 3 things I should have grabbed and chased him back down my driveway.
After dealing (with probably his buddies partying up the street). Wife asked about the new 3 camera system to get the plate #
I didn’t turn it on.

Reasons
We were home.
False positives are ridiculous
Bird flying across back deck= motion detected.
Human detected= spider
10 motion detected The Irises bloomed the week after install
Is there such thing as too sensitive?
That was in a half hour

The system I am testing in the inside controlled environment is pretty flawless

Window security film will not stop your windows from breaking. It will hold the window together to provide a very sharp barrier. It takes lots of energy to force your way through window film, it is very time and effort consuming. Highly recommended on all ground floor windows. 3-M makes it and you can get it from Uline as well.

Polycarbonate storm windows, anchored well, will provide a barrier that only the most prepared intruder can get through. I have tested Tuffak but Lexan should do as well. I had to opportunity to test 1/4” Tuffak. Every .38 that I threw at it bounced. The .357’s would bounce or penetrate depending on bullet shape and loading. The panel did not split, either a divot or a clean hole. I wouldn’t worry about a hammer or a rock.

Replacing the shrubs with something with spines, about 4’ high. None of this should gain notice of the HOA. It will be goo to keep in mind for the next house.

When you build, you can buy foam forms that are filled with concrete. This is a fast method of building and leaves you with insulation on both the inside and outside. It is both fire and ballistic resistant. If there is a fire against the outside wall you may have to replace some insulation and siding.

Back