How long would you last an apocalypse

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ones i keep in the van..are 9-32 ounce bottles..they aint perfect in the way of water bottles..but yet their heat resistant from the summer sun when compared to the bottles of water you can buy at a store..

I have been using 2 liter soda bottles for years. I put 1/10 of a teaspoon of bleach in each one so they will last longer. Stored under the house they will last for about 2 years, then I have to drain, rinse and refill again. I date each one.

did some water bottle exercise today...it's good to come here,then you remeber things to be done ;)

Did some online Christmas shopping today and ordered me some crank lights, and an outside fire pit with a grate, that way I can heat water while I am outside in the cold burning sticks and limb cuttings, and have me some cocoa. Put away 10 more bottles of water this afternoon, and am adding to next weeks grocery shopping list. I need more dehydrated potatoes, and a few pounds of cheese to wax. The more we add the longer we can survive when something bad happens. I still need a bucket for candy, and write on it something else so I can keep the kids out of it. I figure a few pieces of candy once a week can really help us with the kids to make them happy, and a great treat. Found some the other day for $1 a bag. Hard candies, but still it will work.

you know,the kids have 6th sense where the candy is hidden ;)

Last edited:
you,the kids have 6th sense where the candy is hidden ;)
I know believe me. I have tried every single place possible inside the house to hide it and they find it every time. Even found the 4 bags of Doritos I had hidden away. The worst part is when I find the bags of candy missing and I say something about it my son always says "you had candy? It wasn't me". So I know he is the one that finds it. Then he always says the mice must have found it.:rolleyes:

and a few pounds of cheese to wax

*smacks forehead*

You know, in all this time, never even considered this one, very basic idea. Holy cow.... I'm so used to seeing it always be refrigerated.

*smacks forehead*

You know, in all this time, never even considered this one, very basic idea. Holy cow.... I'm so used to seeing it always be refrigerated.

If you have a cold storage area you can keep it for years as long as it is waxed. Plus the longer you keep it the sharper it gets. My mom use to freeze cheese in Maine for mac and cheese, however I feel that using the freezer space for it isn't worth it. I am better off waxing it and then place it in a cool spot. I did it last year however the kids didn't let it last a year. My daughter loves her sharp cheddar.

what kind of wax do you use??? have a rootcellar here and that sounds pretty nice,love cheese,especially the more sharp ones

what kind of wax do you use??? have a rootcellar here and that sounds pretty nice,love cheese,especially the more sharp ones
You can buy the cheese wax online. I used unscented candle wax last year, however cheese wax is better and it's red. I have a place where I can buy 20 pounds of candle wax pretty cheap where I am a wholesale member so I bought it. It's not as good but it works. You also will need a small paint brush to make sure it's sealed up 100%.

love emmenthal...the older the better..it's only so expensive,the older ones

good rye bread,thick slice with emmenthal and a cup of hot good cocoa on a cold winter day :D

Providing I don't need to bug out, I can hunker down comfortably for 6 month after that it is doable but not comfortable for about another 6 month but a lot is very dependent that no other events take place in the last 6 months of my 1yr plan, as of right now water is not an issue for a year.

'hunker down' I should have rephrased it this way 'hunker down on the property'

Last edited:
http://www.cheesemaking.com/redcheesewax.html

Can buy the red cheese wax here. Hmm...seems they have been seeing an increase lately...

WAXING STORE BOUGHT CHEESES: Wow, wax is flying off the shelf here! Many people are trying to prepare for a different type of future. Here is our short explanation of waxing store bought cheese.

Usually cheese bought in the grocery store is an already aged to perfection finished product. Waxing it in small pieces may cause some problems. If a cheese is not turned on a regular basis gravity will cause all the moisture to fall to the bottom causing a mushy mess under the wax. We would suggest you buy whole wheels or make your own cheeses and after waxing them, turn over at least once a week to prevent problems. We also suggest you air dry your cheese for 2-3 days prior to waxing.

buy it in bulk,I can turn it around once a week,that's no problem...a nice x-mas idea...

however I feel that using the freezer space for it isn't worth it

I hear you on that. We've got two fridge/freezers, and then a standing freezer, and we still pretty much keep them fairly full. 5 people living in the house, all adults (kids are technically adults, lol). So any food prep that isn't relying on electricity is simply awesome.

Yeah I try and keep as much space in the freezer as possible for meat. I am not a big meat eater but the kids love it. With 5 in our family we go through lots of food. 2 teens and an 11 year old eat more then me and hubby do in a week. I can make a meal for myself with just some crackers and cheese, the kids however like big meals. I told hubby he needs to buy me another freezer my one on top of the fridge isn't big enough and it's still half full of deer meat.

I told hubby he needs to buy me another freezer my one on top of the fridge isn't big enough and it's still half full of deer meat.

I got my standing freezer off Craigslist for $60. Works like a charm. The fridge I just replaced in the ManCave, same deal, $60, got it off a local city yardsale Facebook site. Granted, my actual kitchen appliances are all beautiful, relatively new, stainless steel, and fairly high-end, but no real need for this for these more utilitarian storage purposes. (and even then, we did a lot of wheelin' and dealin').

Yeah I need to start looking for one. Next year I plan on raising extra chickens just for the freezer, so will be needing it. Having a huge freezer full of meat and veggies will help me when I need to grab something to eat rather then having to make the quick trips to the store.

There would be a lot of variables to that. Wouldn't it be better to just give the facts of how long a person can go without food and water.

There would be a lot of variables to that. Wouldn't it be better to just give the facts of how long a person can go without food and water.

Rule of 3.

3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Of course, prior to reaching those limits, you're going to be pretty handicapped.

There is variables though it doesn't change the fact how long a person can go without food and water, one preps to go beyond that threshold. Anyone prepping should already know how long a human can go without water and food and that is 3 days without water 3 weeks without food.

In the speech I covered a lot of ground, that was just a specific category I was looking for assistance in.

There is variables though it doesn't change the fact how long a person can go without food and water, one preps to go beyond that threshold. Anyone prepping should already know how long a human can go without water and food and that is 3 days without water 3 weeks without food.
The person is a huge variable. How physically fit and overall healthy someone is in the first place will make a large difference. The heavier someone gets the faster they will get dehydrated. That can even apply to people with too big of muscles and not just too much fat.

Latest posts

Back