How long would you last an apocalypse

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The person is a huge variable. How physically fit and overall healthy someone is in the first place will make a large difference. The heavier someone gets the faster they will get dehydrated. That can even apply to people with too big of muscles and not just too much fat.

We should plan for what is known not what if regarding food and water. Regardless of our physical healths we should except and plan around the big 3s and use it as our template for any survival situation, climate plays a role how dehydration affects a person such as hypotonic or hyponatremic dehydration, I have seen hyponatremic dehydration take some of the most healthy and fit and drop them like a rock less then three days in south america.

I think most people will be dead within 1 month once they have run out of food and no more is available(for whatever reason). that is what I am basing my plans on, hunker down for a month with my supplies and wait for the "big die off" to run its course.

I think most people will be dead within 1 month once they have run out of food and no more is available(for whatever reason). that is what I am basing my plans on, hunker down for a month with my supplies and wait for the "big die off" to run its course.

Government resources here in the states is one year on a national level according the emergency planners, marshall law would be implemented in selected areas as its resources are being handed out though plans Vs reality, I will say 6 months here not a year as the government has planned.

our UK govt dosent have any food resources-all that went long ago- now its only whats in the supermarkets, if no food in the supermarkets then no food period. as for martial law we don't have enough troops or police to control the whole country so that will be centered on the big cities.

our UK govt dosent have any food resources-all that went long ago- now its only whats in the supermarkets, if no food in the supermarkets then no food period. as for martial law we don't have enough troops or police to control the whole country so that will be centered on the big cities.

wow, I thought the UK still maintained its food and water inventory

no all that ended in the early 1980s after we joined the EU, we weren't allowed to have any under their rules after that.

i'm thinking at least 1 year supply of food no matter what..simply because a person has to not only make it through the non-growing season (winter months)..but they also has to wait for the next seasons crop to start producing their crops.and i'm thinking in my case.that could be up to 6 to 8 months.so if i went with only 6 months supply..then id go at least 2 to 5 months with out certain foods,and that could lead to certain amount of days with no food..

for that very reason I'm looking at a 12 month stock(at about 9 months currently) and if possible another 6 months stock in case of any crop failures.

at one time in the mid 1980s I think they had "butter mountains" and "wine lakes" but I haven't heard anything lately like that, knowing the EU the UK wouldn't get a look in anyway, they want our money but that's about all.

It would depend on what type of apocalypse and a few other factors like “Were there signs of it coming so I could get supplies?”

But if I was scavenging and it was me and parents I would give me a few weeks or months.

It is always good to stay prepared for anything. You never know what will happen at any time. This is why I now have my new barrels under the downspouts just in case if we can't get water. NASA is saying we are in for 30 years of frigid cold. This is something I am use to. Growing up in Maine we always had big winters, and harsh ones at that. 5 feet of snow in any storm was normal. However we always had plenty of what was needed for that just in case scenario. Snow at least can be used as a fridge, and as extra insulation around the house. The issue though is if NC gets 6 inches of snow things get closed down for a week, people are not use to it here.

However what most folks don't realize is it is always good to prepare as much as possible. Look at the folks in Buffalo NY that got snowed in, some places they still are snowed in. therefore they can't run to the store, and if the power is out they are in even bigger trouble. If they had been prepared they wouldn't have issues right now.

The best thing I have found so far, is to do a 1 month trial and make sure you have what is needed for that month. If you have to buy from a store what you need in that month then you are in trouble and need to fix it. Fix the issues now before the real deal happens, because then it will be to late to fix the issues.

Make a list of things that you use daily and make sure that you know how much you use in a month, then multiply that times 12 for a years supply. Even if you pick up one extra thing every time you go to the store it all adds up in the end. I am still using salt today that I bought 5 years ago. I think I have enough salt put away to last us about 10 more years. Same thing with baking soda. Ramen noodles I have enough in buckets and in my containers to last 1 year for our family of 5 if that was all we ate. You can prep cheap or expensive it's up to you. Personally I do my preps on a budget.

Never count on 'signs' of it coming, like earth quakes, it comes without warning! first rule 'never count on signs' ;)
I understand what you are saying but I was referring to the types of apocolypses that have signs like WWIII, zombie, solar flare, and global viral pandemic.

I understand what you are saying but I was referring to the types of apocolypses that have signs like WWIII, zombie, solar flare, and global viral pandemic.

What I was eluding to, we should plan as if its 'going to happen' and not wait till the last minute to gather supplies, the more pertinent the so-called signs become the less likely what is needed won't be available. Pre-shtf procrastination is deadly in a post-shtf ;)

What I was eluding to, we should plan as if its 'going to happen' and not wait till the last minute to gather supplies, the more pertinent the so-called signs become the less likely what is needed won't be available. Pre-shtf procrastination is deadly in a post-shtf ;)
Ya I understand

also trying to grab "last minute" supplies when all "the masses" are panicking is a recipe for disaster and could get you killed. that's why we prep!!!

also trying to grab "last minute" supplies when all "the masses" are panicking is a recipe for disaster and could get you killed. that's why we prep!!!
Yes and when they start charging $20 for a jar of baby food, or $50 for a small bottle of water we know it will happen. Best to have it rather then worry about the last minute shopping.

my philosophy is "its better on my shelves than on the supermarket shelves!!"

my philosophy is "its better on my shelves than on the supermarket shelves!!"
True that, sometimes I even buy things that I normally wouldn't buy just to keep it on hand. I figure you never know when it will come in handy.

I finally tried Okra and may I add that we loved it. I bought frozen breaded okra and I fried it last night when I was doing the french fries, and it was delicious. Even the kids loved it. Since it grows good here I believe I will be planting some.

apart from food which we top up on a weekly basis with a big shop once a month, we try to buy things when we see it rather than when we need it, by the time we actually need it its no longer in the shop, so we buy it when we SEE it rather than when we NEED it!!

i want to at least out last a apocalypse long enough to irritate the day lights out of everyone around me to the point,where they want to just drag me off to some where,and leave me be when i die..that's the ultimate pay back for when they irritated me..:p

I want to live long enough after the apocalypse to be "last man standing" in my isolated area.

my neighbours will all be dead one month after they run out of any food they have.

my neighbours will all be dead one month after they run out of any food they have.
I expect that with ours or they will leave and end up in the city, they are not the smartest folks in the world. I have seen many of them complain and still try to get out in 6 inches of snow about 1 hour later they would come back walking.

no ours aren't very smart, one year next door neighbour even ran out of toilet paper!! if they run out of TP what else do they run out of? no not very smart people at all!!!

i had to go into town 2 or 3 times,simply because we were about to run out of TP..i been buying the 24/26 packs and larger since the last time that happened..

I always have extra T.paper put away in my bedroom closet well last week I went to grab some and there was none in there. I stood there racking my brain wondering where else I could have put it. Finally gave in and ran to the store and got some. When the kids came home I asked if they had gotten into it or knew where I had put it other then in there. Low and behold they had been using it all in their bathroom. 16 packs of Scott T.paper gone. Ticked me off. So next time it is going in big trash bags up over in the barn so they wont know I have it. Gosh these kids are going to ruin any plans I ever have of making it through doomsday.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back