Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We built a cover for the center section of the roll cage today. We will mount his cb and a light under that. Jake sprayed the front tube fenders satin black and we spent some time on getting the top and doors ready to paint.

IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_0928.jpeg
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0932.jpeg
IMG_0933.jpeg

On my jeep hardtop, I used a similar paint called "Hammered Black". It was a rough looking paint, but looked uniform and pretty slick. I considered using the bedliner paint, but in the sun, if fades to gray pretty quickly and once mud gets on it, it is a bear to come clean.View attachment 102692
You were correct about the bedliner fading! It’s been inside most of the time since we smeared that crap on the top and it faded in the shop. I read where you could paint over the bed liner with urethane so I sprayed over it this morning. I guess I’ll find out how that holds up.

I didn’t sleep very good so I’m running a little slow today. I did get Jakes new tube fenders installed and a radiator overflow. I was hoping to heat the steel rear fender flares on but this old man is dragging ass! I think the kid will be excited to see the tube fenders, I’m leaving in a few minutes to pick him up from school in his jeep

71986168874__94F8B22C-010E-493F-AB46-F43D7120F71C.jpeg
71986171521__E262A1E3-9BB1-429D-9C4E-0C648DE4B213.jpeg
IMG_0957.jpeg

Today I replaced the factory rear plastic fender flares with steel tube fender flares. It really gave the Jeep a lot of room. Tomorrow I hope to get the doors painted. I got to looking at the shocks today and I’m sure it has the wrong ones on it. They have maybe an inch of up travel and I know that can’t be correct so I ordered 4 new shocks I can’t wait to get those installed.

Before
71994025649__D5B1EA4C-01A1-4A0F-8F2E-5C5247A8C93F.jpeg
IMG_0963.jpeg
IMG_0971.jpeg

Wow those fenders really set off that jeep. I love the Red and Black combo
I painted the hood hinges and windshield hinges black as well today. The hard top doors are red but they are a little different shade than the rest of the jeep. I’m going to spray them black tomorrow as well. I May get too much black but that’s the way it’s going to be for awhile. I was hoping to have the entire Jeep painted by now but I’m running out of warm weather. I’ll take a week in the spring and spray it then.

Have you considered taking the kid on a pig hunt? You have done a frame up restoration. You could have the hides tanned, and you could recover the seats with your own pigskin. Jake could even have a matching jacket.

You have it looking great! I'd be proud to own it! Should be a great first car and be a solid daily driver. Paint looks real good. Always wished i could paint but it wasn't in the cards. A friend once said i was the most dangerous man alive with a can of spray paint! 🤣 I didn't think i was that bad... 🙃

Last minute add... saw hog tracks at a creek today. They'd rooted along both banks, at least 15-20 of them. Tracks of all different sizes.

We have been driving this Jeep a lot and it rides like a lumber wagon. I finally got around to working on that problem today. Someone had put shocks on it that are way too long so they barely have an inch of up travel before bottoming out. Hit any sort of bump and it’s a hard hit. I ordered new shocks for it today. We are chasing down rattles as well. The spare tire carrier is a big culprit I couldn’t figure out why it rattled so much all the bumpers were on it and everything felt tight until I started messing with all the rubber stops and bumpers and all of them were hard as a rock. I guess 37 years will do that to rubber. I can’t wait to get those issues fixed it will be much more fun to drive.

When My buddy was building his paint booth I talked him into putting a five sided box intake, high on the exterior wall. Low on the opposite wall is the same box. the boxes are cubes the size are furnace air filters. The filters are accordion type 4" or 5" thick. The filters are HEPA quality. I gave him the numbers that I use on my furnace. Little to no dust comes in and any overspray it caught before leaving.

I got plenty of practice painting the runs to the bottom of the fender.

I sprayed the doors black this morning they were from a different year jeep so the red was completely different. I just sprayed the black because I had it on hand and thought it would look better than the mismatch color until I can spray it completely in the spring. Too much black?

View attachment 118509
Not too much black at all! When you first described what you had planned I was unsure as to how it would turn out. Having seen the outcome, I'd be tempted to paint the rest black. Full disclosure, black is my favourite color.

It will work till you can repaint it in the Spring.
My son drove his buddies Jeep with the doors off and got stopped my the State Patrol for not having side view mirrors.
He didn't get a ticket but could have.
I took the mirrors off it had the small mirror on the door you couldn’t see out of. I have an old school jeep set that mounts to the window frame so Jake won’t be running into that problem. I just didn’t have the stainless bolts or they would be on there now

Not too much black at all! When you first described what you had planned I was unsure as to how it would turn out. Having seen the outcome, I'd be tempted to paint the rest black. Full disclosure, black is my favourite color.
I was thinking about the soft tops, the doors are always the same color as the top on those.

I was thinking about the soft tops, the doors are always the same color as the top on those.
Changing color is a lot of work. I painted my red VW black. I got pulled over and in the process he figured out that I was driving the wrong color car. The trooper got fairly rattled. I said I'd stop at DMV and get the color changed on my title. Sometimes I'm ashamed at how easily I lie. Not this time but sometimes.

2 of the shocks showed up last night and Jake installed those while I went through and replaced all of the rubber bumpers and stops in the spare tire carrier. We have one last rattle to track down and I have a good idea where it is. I have always hated to drive a vehicle that has rattled when you are off pavement. The front shocks really helped the way it drives. The rear shocks should be here today hope to get them in tomorrow.

IMG_1013.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpeg

I went to 3 different places this morning before I found the correct stainless steel bolts for the mirrors and got those installed. After school Jake installed the rear shocks and I have to say shocks really helped this old jeep. It drives so much better now. While Jake was installing the shocks a broke out the buffer and really started cutting the paint. It’s looking good enough that I think with a couple hours worth of buffing we probably won’t paint at least for awhile.

IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_1035.jpeg

Latest posts

Back