Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened with mine was this: my machinist was torquing them to check the big ends and one of them just snapped. Glad that happened then and not later. Pretty surprising that it happen considering that the engine is a big block Ford 460. One of the strongest bottom ends ever made.
Am I hijacking this thread or WHAT?

Am I hijacking this thread or WHAT?
Nah.

Your posts applies as a warning about over torquing the bolts resulting a bad situation.

I have watched a lot of videos of broken bolt repairs. Not trivial.

Seems the ideal approaches is to use a left hand drill that may back the bolt out if it is not seized.

If that doesn't cut it try an easy out but God forbid we break off a hardened easy out in the bolt!

Another approach involves welding a nut on the stuck bolt welding from the inside of nut. Penetrating oil and heat the threads can help.

Else drill out the old hole and use a thread repair kit to bring the hole back to spec.

Torque wrench trivia

Torque wrenches require calibration.

The beam type that has a deflection scale are pretty solid but less accurate. The break-over not so much. Drop them? Don't trust them. Same with torque screw drivers. Some of the cam based break away types can actually over torque a bolt or screw!

Point being the torque wrench being out of calibration could explain why bolts break.

Off topic
The US government has a facility in WV called Rocket Center. It prepares all of the smart munitions for use. Every fastener is tightened using torque wrenches or screw drivers to design spec. They have sooooo many wrenches and screw drivers it warrants them operating their own NIST traceable calibration lab on-site.

The lead technician "Dale Evans" was/is a torque calibration guru. I handed him a collection of torque wrenches, screwdrivers, torque watch gages and he fiddled with each declaring them bad, out of calibration or OK just using is hands. I was impressed!

2 stories from both ends of the torque range ( 2000 ft- lbs to fractional inch- oz)

When testing the high end torque wrench Dale
and an associate put a 6' extender on a 6' torque wrench to test the wrench. I hid in a safe corner of the lab like a frightened kitten.

When testing the low end of the range a small balanced arm supported a small piece of filter paper hold a small measured mass suspended by thread. Dale pointed out how much variability there was in the measurement. I blew in the general direction of the arm and the reading spiked. Dale said he come back on Saturday when there weren't a bunch of fork lfts running around. :thumbs:

Ben

Speaking of torque wrenches, one thing I never realized is that after use one must adjust it back down to 0 ft-lbs. for storage (click ratchet type). I found this out several years ago when I went to use my torque wrench and it didn't seem to click at the correct torque. That;s when I found out I was storing it incorrectly. I bought a new one. I still have the old one. Can I get it re-calibrated?

Speaking of torque wrenches, one thing I never realized is that after use one must adjust it back down to 0 ft-lbs. for storage (click ratchet type). I found this out several years ago when I went to use my torque wrench and it didn't seem to click at the correct torque. That;s when I found out I was storing it incorrectly. I bought a new one. I still have the old one. Can I get it re-calibrated?
You can if you can locate a NIST traceable lab in your area.

Finally got everything going back together! I bought new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch arm, clutch linkage and starter. Transfer case and transmission are rebuilt, now if I can remember how it all goes back together. 🤣🤣🤣

imagejpeg_3.jpeg
imagejpeg_1.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

I made a list this morning so we wouldn’t forget what we have done on this project. We are getting closer to being done. We have came a long way in 13 months

Complete wiring including switches, lights, fuse panel new distributor, plugs and wires, new alternator and starter
New radiator, hoses, thermostat and housing, electric fan, heater core, water pump, heater motor.
New fuel tank, sending unit, carburetor and fuel pump, custom built Carburetor adapter intake gasket and glass beaded intake.
Transmission rebuilt, new clutch pressure plate throw out bearing, shifter linkage and flywheel.
Transfer case rebuilt, twin shifters
Drivelines rebuilt with all new U joints
Dual exhaust Flowmaster mufflers, header gaskets painted headers
Purchased hard top and back hatch and painted top purchased better solid doors installed new weather stripping, new bikini top.
New seats, console, speakers, stereo. Replace glove box, 6 point roll cage installed.
New front bumper and stinger.
New winch, tube fenders front and rear. All new seatbelts and attachments.
Rebuilt steering column with bearings, wiring, horn button
, ignition switch and steering wheel
New emergency brake assembly, new clutch pedal
Replaced master cylinder, brake pads new tires and wheels
Replaced wiper motor repaired wiper linkage and replaced wipers.
Replaced motor mounts and transmission mounts.
New rubber mats front and back and behind the seat tool box.
Purchased rock lights and led off-road lighting.
Purchased accelerator pedal to mount on gear shifter.

I ordered a new emergency brake mechanism and it was complete made in China junk! So I sent it back and pulled on of the E brakes out of the donor Jeeps. The mechanism I pulled was rusty so I looked around the shop and found enough stuff to put together an E tank. It’s been in the tank a couple of hours and already looking great. I should have done this to start with.

IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg
IMG_0417.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg

Have you got a picture? some are actually pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back