Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set in the new cage, waiting for Jake to get home from work to bolt it in and set the height of the seatbelt anchors. Everything I touch I hit end of my shot off finger on so he can take it from here.

imagejpeg_3.jpeg
imagejpeg_2.jpeg
IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0017.jpeg

In today’s times it’s sort of a dinosaur of a vehicle but I believe by the time we are done he will have a good knowledge of his Jeep. It’s like working on a tractor. You drive through the school parking lot today and most of the kids drive nicer vehicles than I do. I asked him if he was going to be ok driving a forty year old Jeep, he said he wouldn’t have it other way.
Build an inclined rack for him to tweak it out on, that way if an EMP hits, you can roll it off.
Driving a vintage ride just screams "class"

Installing seat belt bungs, I inspected the flywheel bolts that we removed and about half of them had pulled threads. I ordered new ones so that’s going to slow our roll a little. New flywheel clutch and pressure plate waiting to go in. When we removed the original roll bar today we found the only rust we have found on the Jeep so we will cut it out and replace the metal while we are at it.

IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

I replaced the old coil and distributor with electronic ignition but if need be I could put the old stuff back in about an hour.

What you're doing with this build is invaluable to Jake's future. More people should build their first car! Teaches a lot more than how to use a wrench, that's just the setting for the real lessons.

I said 75$ myself. OUCH! I would have used extreme tensile hex head bolts and split washers myself. Net cost 8$.

I said 75$ myself. OUCH! I would have used extreme tensile hex head bolts and split washers myself. Net cost 8$.
What happened with mine was this: my machinist was torquing them to check the big ends and one of them just snapped. Glad that happened then and not later. Pretty surprising that it happen considering that the engine is a big block Ford 460. One of the strongest bottom ends ever made.

Back