Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that's Jake's Jeep? Lol... no harm in 'test driving' it for "safety purposes." ;)

Actually, it's good to "run in" a new project or restomod, once the work is done... and even while the work continues. :rolleyes:

Let's ya "dial it in" just the way ya want it... :cool:
I’ve been driving it quite a bit to see what really needs done. It has done extremely well. Tonight I figured out it needed new headlights they are sort of dim so I ordered some that I hope are better.

I’ve been driving it quite a bit to see what really needs done. It has done extremely well. Tonight I figured out it needed new headlights they are sort of dim so I ordered some that I hope are better.
Any plans for a light bar, under the Christmas Tree?

I'd like to get light bars for my Jeeps and my Dakota. Then again I make winter trips where it is over two hours between houses and little, if any, traffic. His driving will be somewhat different.

Jake installed a new steering stabilizer today, the old Jeep drives 10x better now! It’s unbelievable how much it helped. We drove it to town and got brake fluid for tomorrow’s master cylinder job. Of course he wanted to wash it while we were in town.

17E31188-FA8A-433C-9FE4-359D37AAD1B4.png
926A9F5E-878B-4330-A250-B928E703B7F0.jpeg
3FBB59EC-64FF-4E31-8F0F-1CD556A4EB6B.jpeg

That looks a lot better. Now you don't need to paint.
The steering stabilizer is a great add on. Nobody want to have a Jeep death wobble.
I experienced it one time and that was one time too many.

It made an incredible difference in the way it drives. I think we will still be painting it, the passenger fender is banged up and the paint is thin and I’m having a lot of fun.

I’ve been ignoring a problem I hoped would get better and it’s not. First gear synchronizer has been sticky making down shifting into first difficult. I can get by with it fine double clutching but I don’t want Jake to struggle with it. So I guess we will pull the transmission out and have it rebuilt. While I’m in there I’ll instal clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing then resurface the flywheel. I couldn’t wish it better guess I’ll fix it. I’m way too deep to quit now.

I’ve been ignoring a problem I hoped would get better and it’s not. First gear synchronizer has been sticky making down shifting into first difficult. I can get by with it fine double clutching but I don’t want Jake to struggle with it. So I guess we will pull the transmission out and have it rebuilt. While I’m in there I’ll instal clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing then resurface the flywheel. I couldn’t wish it better guess I’ll fix it. I’m way too deep to quit now.
You will end up doing it soon enough if not now!!

After some thought the Jeep is going to the transmission shop. I don’t feel like laying under it for a couple of days. I’ll have them resurface the flywheel, new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing while they are there. I had ordered new scraper weatherstripping for the doors. It came in this morning and I got it installed. I didn’t want water getting in the doors and rusting them out.

60A40405-8131-49F6-AC03-DBEAE6A528CD.jpeg
F2916299-8C31-4799-87C7-2047FFCCF7B5.png

Attachments

• CBA821F5-8AA8-4FDB-9B45-516616081D53.jpeg
    CBA821F5-8AA8-4FDB-9B45-516616081D53.jpeg
    3.1 MB
  • D6F3DDD5-F90F-4022-8EC7-E416839E5953.jpeg
    D6F3DDD5-F90F-4022-8EC7-E416839E5953.jpeg
    1.5 MB
Those belt moldings are definitely past their prime! One thing you may want to do is to make sure the weep holes on the bottom of the doors are open, flush them out with some water and let them dry out. Then get a can of amber rust-proofing or cavity wax and give the insides a good coating. That should help slow down or stop any corrosion that's in there.

Those belt moldings are definitely past their prime! One thing you may want to do is to make sure the weep holes on the bottom of the doors are open, flush them out with some water and let them dry out. Then get a can of amber rust-proofing or cavity wax and give the insides a good coating. That should help slow down or stop any corrosion that's in there.
Great idea I’ll give it a go!

I got a new flywheel and starter yesterday waiting on the new clutch kit to be delivered. Over the weekend we went to Fayetteville Arkansas and picked up a set of tube front fenders and then to Springfield Missouri and got rear tube flares to match. We did a lot of driving but I figure it saved $500 running all around.

71A6840B-C8F3-409E-9A9A-735D9FAA80EA.jpeg
A72330FA-B7F4-42F8-94F4-363A767658DF.jpeg

Back