Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transmission and transfer case are on the floor ready to be rebuilt. This should be the end of heavy mechanical work. I still will go through the brakes and steering that part is easy for me. It was missing the flywheel dust cover we got that ordered today and still waiting on the clutch kit to arrive.

30A48D5D-05B6-430C-ADDF-B027B5F526C8.jpeg

picked up a set of tube front fenders
There are lots of different front fenders for CJ’s! Hard to tell from the picture, but will those be wide enough to set a beer on…err… set tools on while out and about? The old Willys had those flat fenders which always seemed to come in handy for settin’ stuff down on.

There are lots of different front fenders for CJ’s! Hard to tell from the picture, but will those be wide enough to set a beer on…err… set tools on while out and about? The old Willys had those flat fenders which always seemed to come in handy for settin’ stuff down on.
Should be wide enough to set a beer and tools on. I’m trying to keep the jeep as low cog as possible. I know I’ll have to lift it but hoping to just go 2 1/2 inches total. It will drive a lot better if I don’t go 4 inches. Those fenders allow for more clearance and they are a hell of a lot stronger than factory fenders.

It’s been nearly two months since I started trying to find the parts to rebuild the 3 speed. I got the last of them today and took them to my friends shop that is doing the rebuild on the transmission. He had a hell of a cool vette in there that had been sitting too long and needed the carbs rebuilt and the tank cleaned. It’s a 67 427 dual carb car.

IMG_9594.jpeg
IMG_9591.jpeg
IMG_9597.jpeg
IMG_9596.jpeg
IMG_9599.jpeg
IMG_9598.jpeg

@hashbrown So you're looking for those fender pieces??? Remind me again what year. . . (yea, I know I could probably scroll and find it but. . .) Hubby has a '71 CJ5 and a friend with many jeeps and various pieces. If you let me know, I can ask if he has said piece(s) or knows someone. He found our hardtop for us! Not an easy find.
IMG_4623.JPG
(taken when he was putting the top on)

It’s been nearly two months since I started trying to find the parts to rebuild the 3 speed. I got the last of them today and took them to my friends shop that is doing the rebuild on the transmission. He had a hell of a cool vette in there that had been sitting too long and needed the carbs rebuilt and the tank cleaned. It’s a 67 427 dual carb car.

View attachment 111351View attachment 111352View attachment 111353View attachment 111354View attachment 111355View attachment 111356
I always say, back in the late 60's they smoked some crazy banana peels, but they sure knew how to make a good lookin' rig!

@hashbrown So you're looking for those fender pieces??? Remind me again what year. . . (yea, I know I could probably scroll and find it but. . .) Hubby has a '71 CJ5 and a friend with many jeeps and various pieces. If you let me know, I can ask if he has said piece(s) or knows someone. He found our hardtop for us! Not an easy find.
View attachment 111357(taken when he was putting the top on)
I think I have everything I need now. When we get the transmission and transfer case back together all I’ll have left to do is paint. I appreciate the offer to help us with parts. The same goes for you all as well. I have 3 parts Jeeps and stacks of parts for them. If you guys need anything let me know I might be able to help.

It's good for a young man to drive powerful cars... as long as he survives the learning process, he'll ultimately become a better driver. Same goes for all those crazy maneuvers my generation pulled in the past: donuts, brodies, gettin' sideways, etc. Doing these things helps a driver to get a better feel for the car and understand its limitations... the trick is to do 'em out in the middle of nowhere, or on some deserted back streets, NOT the main drag in town, lol. Safer that way, lol. ;)

This sort of "driver training" may actually help somebody avoid trouble, especially when evasive action is required. 😒

P.S. In that last pic, Jake looks like he's in a Bond flick, lol... except his speed is too low, it should be 135! 🤣

Last edited:
It's good for a young man to drive powerful cars... as long as he survives the learning process, he'll ultimately become a better driver. Same goes for all those crazy maneuvers my generation pulled in the past: donuts, brodies, gettin' sideways, etc. Doing these things helps a driver to get a better feel for the car and understand its limitations... the trick is to do 'em out in the middle of nowhere, or on some deserted back streets, NOT the main drag in town, lol. Safer that way, lol. ;)

This sort of "driver training" may actually help somebody avoid trouble, especially when evasive action is required. 😒

P.S. In that last pic, Jake looks like he's in a Bond flick, lol... except his speed is too low. 🤣
I agree, also on gravel (but not with that car!) and on ice. An open parking lot coated with ice is a hoot!

I always encouraged my nieces & nephews to drive out to East San Diego County and practice such maneuvers... plenty of wide graded dirt areas & back roads on which to cut loose, aye? Whenever we went camping, I'd let 'em take the wheel on those dirt roads (which I'd already driven 100 times before), just to give 'em some experience. When it comes to driving, I believe there's no substitute for hands-on experience... and back in the day, there was nobody else around on those dirt roads & skinny little 2-lane blacktop highways in Anza-Borrego and East County, you could drive 100 MPH on pavement with little danger of collision (or a speeding ticket, lol). ;)

Same went for drinking & driving, I'd teach 'em to go camping in the boondocks and THEN crack cold ones, lol. Far better for them to be out there than in the Big City, aye? I knew those youngsters were gonna party anyway, might as well lead 'em down the right path... or the SAFER path, overall. I know some here will disagree, but that's just the way it was back in the day, ya taught 'em to cut loose in the boondocks and avoid trouble from Johnny Law and others in city traffic. When I went camping, I'd usually crack a cold beer as soon as I was off pavement, lol... but not UNTIL then, ya know? Of course, I've been driving for... what? 46 years now? Not counting dirt bikes & minis while underage. :cool:

Hash I thought for a minute you was swapping Jake's jeep for that Vette. I bet he'd go for it.

I love those old Vettes up thru 1968. IMO it was all downhill after that.
I don’t think he would go for it, I asked him today if he would pick from our current vehicles thinking he would pick the Hellcat and he chose the Jeep

I don’t think he would go for it, I asked him today if he would pick from our current vehicles thinking he would pick the Hellcat and he chose the Jeep
He has blood and sweat equity in the Jeep.
The Jeep can out run that Hellcat any day as long as the Jeep driver gets to pick the race course.:)

We made a top out of plywood and rebar for my brother's Jeep. we got the drunken idea to use aluminum molding and just stain the wood and insulated it with foam we got off a loveseat. It looked like a "Woody" runt. you either loved it or hated it, but it was a wild-looking thing!

With all of the transmission parts in, I painted the transmission housing and repaired the the bell housing bolt holes. Bell housing bolt holes were all jacked up and now my friend will start putting the transmission back together. When that is finished we will install the full cage. When those jobs are finished Jake and I will pull the Jeep back apart and paint it. We are getting closer and I can see the end of this build. I think we can have it completed by early fall.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_1.jpeg
imagejpeg_2.jpeg

On my M38A1 there was a port between the transmission and transfer case allowing oil to flow between the casings. However, both cases had their own fill and a drain ports/plugs. I would fill the tranny with oil to the fill plug bottom. Then, when I opened removed the fill plug on the transfer case, oil would pour out because it was at a lower elevation. After this happening several times, I just opened both fill ports, added oil to the tranny until it just started to leak out of the TC port.

Not sure about your power train, but I had to make sure I used gear oil that was safe for yellow metals in my tranny and TC.

Back