Let's talk Supplements

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I started taking Turmeric Curcumin. Here's a good link that outlines the benefits with details:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric#brain-health

There's way too much info to post here, so here's a quote from the summary, or the bottom line:

Turmeric — and especially its most active compound, curcumin — has many scientifically proven health benefits, such as the potential to improve heart health and prevent Alzheimer’s and cancer.
It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be great! But it bothers my stomach. I took to the tea a little better.
The capsules I bought also include Ginger powder.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-ginger

Turns-out there's a good reason for that as the bottom line explains:
Ginger contains nutrients and bioactive compounds that may have a range of benefits for your body and brain.
It may help manage nausea, prevent infections, reduce the risk of cancer, and more.

I'm also going to start taking Ashwagandha and ginseng (and probably others) but I'm starting one supplement at a time - looking for benefits and/or side effects.

I believe these herbal supplements should not be taken in high doses and should vary from day to day, just as a persons diet varies from day to day.

It's supposed to be great! But it bothers my stomach. I took to the tea a little better.
I do like the idea of herbal teas, green tea is the only one I take now. I even learned like to it, for the heath benefits. Adding other teas to my cabinet is on my list. Teas are probably absorbed better.

My newbies lately have been Vitamin C and Omegas. The non fishy tasting omega.
I didn't mean to laugh as an insult, I know that not everyone likes fish. I just found it funny.

@OldSchool I just tinctured a pound of organic turmeric (usda certified) a couple weeks ago. Easy to make, should last me a year taking half a medicine dropper full each day.

I'm not going to take it daily. I use a lot of herbs but individually I use them sparingly. 2 or 3 times a week should be fine for me in this case.

Also... concerning Ashwagandha and ginseng... both are in a class of plants call Adaptogens. I put an excellent book on adaptogens in the library if you wish to study up on what they really do. There are dozens of adaptogens to choose from besides the two you mentioned.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/

In reference to ginseng... taken daily in capsule form it takes about 30 days for it to take full effect, for you to begin to feel all he benefits. Just be aware, don't give up in 3 weeks because you feel no improvement... it takes 4 weeks.

One pound of turmeric tinctured... two quart jars weren't enough space to tincture it properly as a 1:2 ratio so I split it into 3 jars.

20241026_pltur09a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back