Maintaining the option of MOBILITY in prepping for SHTF (ESPECIALLY "personal" SHTF).

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As close as I can figure it a Koan is a buddist (read control form of religion) question with in which one is supposed to go into there deeper self and get answers.
Great at teaching focus discipline (Wax on wax off) (Jacket on jacket off)
I seriously doubt that anybody in mainstream Cartesian history thought about much, because they leave consciousness out of the creative process. Humans brains are comparitors not thinking devices, at least the part that most people have been tricked into using. Einstien was an actor and had about the same taste as hair smelling Joe

Much better.
I think we should release 0-point energy to the public, build a gravity well engine, and get the hell out of here before they blow us all up.
If a gravity well engine were to get spun up on this planet it would solve the problem of the "they" on both sides of the balance line.
If somebody wants something to THINK about, how every to even consider the possibility of said system, you need to wipe your comparitor of Cartesian thinking.

the Quote was to show context, Magus already knows the above

Any degradation of Martin Luther.....???
I have never looked at his thought process. but he did rebel against the Catholic Church. And trying to understand an outside intelligence better is less Cartesian.
The help full thing to get people thinking might be to go further into the pinch point on decent roads. That would be helpful

If a gravity well engine were to get spun up on this planet it would solve the problem of the "they" on both sides of the balance line.
If somebody wants something to THINK about, how every to even consider the possibility of said system, you need to wipe your comparitor of Cartesian thinking.

the Quote was to show context, Magus already knows the above
The variable ones have been in use for a few hundred years by the bigger players, but yeah. the locals would do a full power burn, first thing... Geez they would too! What is it with humans and suicidal stunts anyway? I can't wait to get out of this meat suit, even looking at it makes me cringe!

BOT.
I think Sour needs to buy himself a solid cargo ship, reinforce it a bit, and hit the wide ocean, far away from nuclear sites, the Golden Horde, and post-apocalyptic plagues. ride the high seas with a crew of hot island chicks and live fat until old age takes him. how's that crap for outside the box?

The help full thing to get people thinking might be to go further into the pinch point on decent roads. That would be helpful
I can't offer any advice on that. I am 100% convinced the expectation of travel by road is foolish and folly. Sadly, much of current prepping thinking lacks any solid foundation. Preppers are like a five-mile-long row of penguins following each other. Preppers have blindly accepted a flawed survival theory.

Travel by roads can work, just depart six to nine days (depending on distance to be traveled) prior to SHTF event.

Last edited:
..This is about the context for restructuring one's life with the primary goal to not be "exclusively" attached to one dwelling. .... I want to have possessions, but not have a house or a home or long-term apartment.... I am 100% convinced the expectation of travel by road is foolish and folly.

OK, so Maybe the 'Balloon House' idea is just way too Out there ;) Although I know of No one 'having Tried that in Real Life', it does have a Lot of 'achilles heels', I'll concede, but..

..Seeing your 'Goal', here, well.. I'd still say - Screw the "roads" - just get a 'Sherp', ie: https://sherpglobal.com/en/ ..with a Trailer, (ie: https://sherpglobal.com/en/sherp_the_ark/ )and Fortify the Hella out of it (again, ie: Roof-mounted, Gimballed / Armored M-134 'defense nest', and Bullet-proofed Panels / Glass, etc - All Totally Doable..) and just GTHO whenever / Wherever ya Want / go to yer 'Remote Cache-Buildings', or Remote Canvas Tent-camping in [x] Wilderness or whatever.

Could even look at the (possibility?? 🤔) of doing a conversion to use 'Cooking Oil' (vs Diesel, alone) which could Also be stored in 'caches' around the [Wherever] along with Propane / LTS food / armaments, etc, like you've Already BTDT.. :cool: Could be done with a Sherp / Trailer as 'Home'..

jd

I can't offer any advice on that. I am 100% convinced the expectation of travel by road is foolish and folly. Sadly, much of current prepping thinking lacks any solid foundation. Preppers are like a five-mile-long row of penguins following each other. Preppers have blindly accepted a flawed survival theory.

Travel by roads can work, just depart six to nine days (depending on distance to be traveled) prior to SHTF event.
I have traveled on dangerous roads quite a lot.

Many people misunderstand what risks roads can pose and what is practical and what is not for those that might try to disrupt/prey upon road travel/travelers.

In a high threat environment, there will be some roads that travel along which will be virtual suicide, some that will be moderately dangerous and some that will involve about the same risk as just being in that general location/area.

.....and apart from the risk profile of particular roads, the time of the day and way you travel along those roads and the defensive tactics you employ can also change the risk you take using that road.

A lot of what determines how much you can use roads depends upon where you start that journey and where you are headed.

In simplest terms if you start somewhere remote and are headed towards somewhere even more remote, there are ways to use roads.

.....and when considering the risk road use poses, you also need to consider the risks of the alternative cross country travel that are also real.....including that cross country travel is always much slower and time is space and space is time.

I am pretty sure the DEUCE & HALF will run on near anything.
they have an "All fuel" version, but it has it's limits, better than not having the option. I have never thought the "going to my BOL ever made sense, you best already be there, sure you should have some back up plans, but planning to head to a BOL after S has obviously htf is not on my list

they have an "All fuel" version, but it has it's limits, better than not having the option. I have never thought the "going to my BOL ever made sense, you best already be there, sure you should have some back up plans, but planning to head to a BOL after S has obviously htf is not on my list
My DEUCE & HALF is at my property. It is the all-fuel model.

I "Bugged-Out" December 29'th 1969. (after serving four years in a State Institution).

Well........another month has passed, and I keep returning to this vexing issue. I can't seem to find a clear way forward. I suspect part of the problem is having to give what I consider a perfect prepping situation, for something not yet formulated.

Well........another month has passed, and I keep returning to this vexing issue. I can't seem to find a clear way forward. I suspect part of the problem is having to give what I consider a perfect prepping situation, for something not yet formulated.
One part of the jigsaw puzzle that is a military mindset, is that you never get too attached to any particular location, position or piece of ground.

The perfect place or position can become decidedly imperfect. as the situation changes.

Being on the best ground, as the situation defines it, at that time, is the priority.

I think most will never relate to what I am trying to figure out. It would only have appeal to a tiny percentage of population. I want to have possessions, but not have a house or a home or long-term apartment.

There was a time, when I was much younger, that everything I considered important about myself, fit into an old toyota pickup and that was something I was proud of.

It still APPEALS to me but I am so far past that point I can barely remember what it was like.

What is interesting, is that I think back then, I was this way primarily because it was how people lived in video games as its a model that lends itself to 'adventuring', where you need 'stuff' but you also need not to be attached to one location.

Just throwing this out as a model....

What if there was something like Amazon....but for the stuff you already owned?

You, could travel wherever you wanted, by whatever means you wanted, stay however you wanted, camping, motel, short term rental...whatever....and then any of your stuff you needed, you could have rapidly shipped to that location, and shipped back when you didn't need it.

This would of course require a third party 'hub' operation to make work. But it could be a way to remain totally mobile, with your stuff while not having to own property.

And of course....is essentially how the military, wild land fie departments and many large, technically companies operate as well.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out as a model....

What if there was something like Amazon....but for the stuff you already owned?

You, could travel wherever you wanted, by whatever means you wanted, stay however you wanted, camping, motel, short term rental...whatever....and then any of your stuff you needed, you could have rapidly shipped to that location, and shipped back when you didn't need it.

This would of course require a third party 'hub' operation to make work. But it could be a way to remain totally mobile, with yours stuff while not having to own property.

And of course....is essentially how the military, wild land fie departments and many large, technically companies operate as well.
Correct.

The hierarchy for military gear storage/transport is:
  1. Pockets
  2. Pouches
  3. Packs
  4. Duffels
  5. Trunks
  6. Pallets
  7. Conex

If we had started, I guess we did decades ago with a plan to build a hidden hub, it would have been a lot clearer, but somebody would have talked and it would have leaked out, look at all the 15 minutes of fame you tubers who totally blow their opsec.
I need a home base, my tools are big. to just survive is one thing, but the SHTF is slow like the frog pot, yes we are in it, but we can still buy some stuff, people still believe really stupid stuff.
If I was to rig up to disappear I would build a snowdog https://snowdog.com/ca/ actually 2 prolly 2 that I could tandem or outrigger almost as maneuverable as a motor bike but way more terrain versatile. the module could be any thing you can dream up it you keep it compact.

I think this all depends on your current situation. I have 2 places but to get between them I have to travel through some dangerous cities. Currently have my American Express card handy to me when I go 400 miles north.
Do I think the idea of mobility is the answer. Being the first house 7 miles from the freeway exit has some inherent advantages, I have terrain knowlege, supplies, and fuel for a year.
Do I want to get caught away from this 400 miles away? I have been building a cache in case I do. Second trip up will have 3 months for one person + defense.
Oh, and I wouldnt’t call a private school like RIT a state institution, spent some time in the brick city myself. Maybe a little more at the real state institution CC down the street.

One thing a person really need to do is pay attention to the chatter going on about possible events / attacks etc and not get trapped some where you don't want to be. all it take is ignore the wrong bit of info, and things don't go so smooth

So....how many have a mobility plan they figure to implement, should it be clearly necessary, that does not require a road of any type or any quality.

Me... But most people consider my methods impossible and tbth I don't think they fit your current circumstances. They certainly wouldn't work in Alaska. It's a fallback for me for when society no longer wants to play nice.

What limitations are you willing to adhere to? Like where do you accept decency other people? such could be the graces and caprices of a landlord, the ability to source refined fuel from society to transport you etc. What are we talking here? I find it's most helpful to first decide on what you are 100% not willing to do and then go from there when considering compromises.

in what ways are you 100% not willing to compromise on your own self-reliant autonomy?

When you collect info for a decision there are always more negative than plus.
The core requirement for data collection is rejection.

Latest posts

Back