Maintaining the option of MOBILITY in prepping for SHTF (ESPECIALLY "personal" SHTF).

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well bottom line is you are now mostly a suburban,urban pick your name village,town survivalist...he may be of interest to you to get a book or three and start from there..there might be new and original ideas to you to help you transition...I AM NOT saying you wont go off into the wilderness once push comes to shove..but facts are facts for now..the majority of time you are around people.

Being realistic is what you can do ,get done etc. If you are going to have basically storage units in a place you rent..that means town,villages etc. so first thing that would concern me..is you will need help and that help is going to know what you moved into storage...lets face it its hard to disguise firearms being moved.I would consider climate controlled units to if available in locations you pick.

My first thing i do is pick one spot to get all things moved to a large place first and then spread it out as time allows..lets face it you might have to be satisfied in just one spot . i get a unit to have atv and trailer prefilled with supplies just in case..that way once i got to unit i pop the door and driveaway..its shtf..who cares no dl..keep it between the ditches is all you need and dont drove off into a road wash out or missing bridge.

Theres lots for you to do i would start wandering around town and taking notes of people,places,paths,water spigots and more.Get a 4 way spigot key to just in case...that way you can get to that water if need be..probably wont need to but this is a whole new ballgame for you...lots to learn,study and figure out for your exact needs.

more later.

Being realistic is what you can do ,get done etc. If you are going to have basically storage units in a place you rent..that means town,villages etc.
WHY.........Why do you go to that thinking. That is what is today. Why not think about what could be, that does not exist today.

This thread is not about solving a problem with existing options. People loathe thinking.

Question: Why not build a 2,000 square foot warehouse in wilderness Alaska. And have that as the "HUB".......???

I thought this was about mobility? mobility is taking as much of your gear as possible before the hoothie hottentotts and golden horde overrun your perimeter.

WHY.........Why do you go to that thinking. That is what is today. Why not think about what could be, that does not exist today.

This thread is not about solving a problem with existing options. People loathe thinking.

Question: Why not build a 2,000 square foot warehouse in wilderness Alaska. And have that as the "HUB".......???
No you are holding back and expecting people to know what you are thinking Smarten the F up. Say what you want in your criptic post at the start of the thread. Plus you lead to Civilization in most of your stuff.
Ask your questions properly if you want answers .
Yes you should have dug your self a hidden bunker in the middle of no where and made that a hub, maybe you did. But hear is a tip, if you can't get along with a forum of the most friendly helpful people on the internet, how do you expect for someone to put up with you in public???

Because you already have that and you need your stuff closer to places you will be living and you said you didnt want to own anything..or thats what me and it seems a bunch understood you saying... you have to be in town right because you need help...so get atv and trailer or not moved into town you will spend the most time in and then if something happens retreat to paradise,alaska....board up your little cabin and make it super secure and add solar electric fence around its walls to knock back bear and more and keep a years worth of stuff there and then put your hubs in other spots around the globe...well i assume you wont leave alaska so who knows exactly what you want as far as hubs go...hubs could be in different countries or all in the same borough/county for all i know.

I am trying to help..even if it does suck to you my ideas..doing the best i can for you....but..you got some problems that are only going to get worse...so reality is you might have to be satisfied with options available...you dont have a lifetime to figure out the answers...you are just faced with age and disability troubles and we all will one day....we have to know limits of what is possible.

I hope you..me..us figure it out.

I absolutely love the concept of having a secure storage spot in the middle of no where , but how one would accomplish that would be a far deeper rabbit hole, I mean building it would be a challenge but keeping it secure, I really don't know how one could do that, unless you could make it invisible.

This thread is NOT about solving my problem. It "IS" about thinking. People loath thinking.

It is about solving a puzzle, without any existing pieces. (I may have just created a "KOAN")

Sadly, I know this thread is going to be a disaster. But DAMN the torpedoes. This is "NOT" about standard mobility thinking, motor homes, travel trailers, vans, etc..

This is about the context for restructuring one's life with the primary goal to not be "exclusively" attached to one dwelling. I have learned that most preppers can't relate to this.

It is for me a whole new way of thinking, and I am only just started trying to figure out how to structure it, before even thinking of actually making it reality.

I think most will never relate to what I am trying to figure out. It would only have appeal to a tiny percentage of population. I want to have possessions, but not have a house or a home or long-term apartment.

Using the wagon wheel concept, the possessions would be the "hub". That could be a secure warehouse type structure. But there might be a better idea for that. Still thinking that location.

This might appeal to older people who have lost their life partner (if I ever get it figured out). This thread is a process of creating. Members will get very pissed/frustrated if they try to win the prize for the perfect answer. There is no answer, only a crude concept of a different way to live.
There is no perfect answer to being prepared. We can only use what common sense, experience and practicability that an individual may possess. I have been fortunate to this day that I have owned a large acreage for most of my life. Prepping thoughts go back 20 years and over that time we have built a great secluded hobbit-like shelter and accumulated and secured a good supply of goods and tools. Luckily my family, mostly my son became interested in helping with this project at a young age. Luckily, my son is smarter than I and has taken it a step further and has built a vehicle that is non electronic (1940's military ambulance and trailer) so we can move if need be. He also has acquired a property in the mountains, and he is slowly working at building a similar shelter. His viewpoint is that the ocean is not that far away and if anything should happen in that respect elevation would be needed, plus it is much more isolated, and we can load provisions and any animals if need be and hopefully have the time to do so. Even if it is only temporary, it sure is what I think is a safe alternative.

There is no perfect answer to being prepared. We can only use what common sense, experience and practicability that an individual may possess. I have been fortunate to this day that I have owned a large acreage for most of my life. Prepping thoughts go back 20 years and over that time we have built a great secluded hobbit-like shelter and accumulated and secured a good supply of goods and tools. Luckily my family, mostly my son became interested in helping with this project at a young age. Luckily, my son is smarter than I and has taken it a step further and has built a vehicle that is non electronic (1940's military ambulance and trailer) so we can move if need be. He also has acquired a property in the mountains, and he is slowly working at building a similar shelter. His viewpoint is that the ocean is not that far away and if anything should happen in that respect elevation would be needed, plus it is much more isolated, and we can load provisions and any animals if need be and hopefully have the time to do so. Even if it is only temporary, it sure is what I think is a safe alternative.
SOUNDS nice.........but not the goal of this thread.

Well, I have actually done it several times. So, to do it again utilizing any or the past methods would be foolish.

My most recent total "do'over" is here, starts at post #2
https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...16538-the-leatherman-this-is-a-wonderful-read
Thanks for the link. I did some reading on page 2. Sure gave some insight to your history and experience.

I’m not surprised, but I am impressed. I’ve known you’ve been there and done that to some extent, just not to that extent.

From your fist posts in this thread I got that you’re looking to do essentially the same, but with a new and different form of transportation.

That’s all good, and I’m interested in what route (pun?) you decided to go with. However, I don’t recommend steeling an airplane. Too likely to create bad Kama… bring down your mojo. ;)

@Sourdough my friend, you, are a philosopher. Perhaps one of the last. I have little to offer, but I am enjoying the conversation immensely. Carry on.
View attachment 155338
He’s still in good company with philosophers. Me? Naw, just part-time and halfassed. Example: After giving it some thought…. I figure Sourdough’s best option is teleportation.

Well what ever else this thread did it probably bounced a few out of their comfort zone, I know that I am thinking about a couple of things differently

We figure no one is going very far (maybe not at all) on any road, of any quality post SHTF, even if starting with-in the first hour post SHTF.

One of the best threads "EVER" was on SB about trying to get anyplace on any quality of road. I have never observed so many raving enraged people on any forum.

Everyone was stunned at how many had detailed maps with photos of exactly where and how they plan to cut-off everyone. Even closing six lane roads. The guy who started that thread is active on this forum.

. However, I don’t recommend steeling an airplane. Too likely to create bad Kama… bring down your mojo
I was repossessing them.

We figure no one is going very far (maybe not at all) on any road, of any quality post SHTF, even if starting with-in the first hour post SHTF.

One of the best threads "EVER" was on SB about trying to get anyplace on any quality of road. I have never observed so many raving enraged people on any forum.

Everyone was stunned at how many had detailed maps with photos of exactly where and how they plan to cut-off everyone. Even closing six lane roads. The guy who started that thread is active on this forum.
Highway robbery was a hangable crime.

Ben

Highway robbery was a hangable crime.

Ben
No robbery.......None.
Just 343 million people keeping everyone 45 to 60 miles away from their town/village or off their street.

Last edited:
I was repossessing them.
For a short story, and question, that’s somewhat thread related:

I’ve known a few small plane pilots, knew some of them well enough that I took the controls in the air sometimes. Anyway, one was a bush plane pilot in Alaska, I’m guessing in the 70’s if memory servers and all. Heard some stories and all… they are a breed of their own.

Question(s): Has much changed on that front? Are those days long gone?

I have been thrown into this project, by recent events in my life. So, I have to create something new. As I look around at established lifestyles (own a home or farm, etc.) I don't want any of those going forward, this is partly driven by the future I envision. I want more mobility (but not road surface type mobility). I want more and varied locations. Not really interested in travel to see new places. But to keep mobility, travel will be necessary.

There would be periods of stationary living but there would be no financial or emotional attachment to that dwelling.

This thread is NOT about solving my problem. It "IS" about thinking. People loath thinking.

It is about solving a puzzle, without any existing pieces. (I may have just created a "KOAN")
Top post in your post #2 in this thread...next one is post #97...this is were i got confused..it reads like you are trying to solve your recent problems.

You have typed koan multiple times now...go on and tell us dumb folks what it is..is it some buddist zen stuff.

i dont go for such..yes are yes and no is no...i said all along i am a knuckle dragging crayon chewer....its reason it looks like you are trying to solve your problem of recent events..your own words.

i am a KISS person..keep it simple stupid ! i feel sure koan is over my pay grade.

heres what i cant figure out..if yo cant or wont use roads...flying will probably be limited if at all..even by you steeling ifr plane..with bone on bone...can you even walk to airport or storage place of planes? i would like to say look at old paths and trails..but not sure if you are able...what distance do you think you can walk now.

Our definition of thinking may be askew.

I spent less than 0.25 sec pondering what is the sound of one hand caping. Same sound as when we dodged our mothers missed our face when we swore in public.

Ben.

..Why not think about what could be, that does not exist today.

WELL... One of my All Time Fav childhood Reads / 'fantasies', if you will, was...

9780142403303-9.jpeg
'21 Balloons'.. :cool:

Now.. The writing wasn't 'the Richest Ever', per-se, but I just totally Loved the Authors 'cinematic' and very imaginative illustration style, ie:

2022_07_27_15_09_48_007_2048x.jpg

..and I Loved the idea of the 'secret Krakatoa society', funded by the Diamond mining, etc.. I imagined All sorts of minutia, relative to Island-life / protocol / 'LTS' stores, etc.

Anyhoo, but my Biggest Enthrallment with the book / story, was "The House"...

21-balloons-house-cross-section.jpg
😍

Just Loved the 'thinking' the Author put into it - the 'Strong yet Light' choice of all-Bamboo construction, the 'observation deck' / loft / the Stores, etc.. I Greatly (albeit, sure - naively..) desired to build / achieve something like this, but.. Alas, even the 'closest kindred attempt' to doing something like this (Buying / Living on a Yacht for [n] years, at Sea.. :cool: ) has remained Only on my 'bucket list' thru to Today, but..

Your 'conundrum', herein, Did get me thinking.. 🤔 I could Imagine - even with ALL the 'negatives' / limitations, etc (ie: Weather / rather imprecise 'steering' / Limits on weight / Fuel / Landing-pad limitations, etc, etc..) - Something "like" Sherman's 'air-house', there, in 21 Balloons wouldn't be 'Out of the realm of Possibility', and I Could see some very distinct 'Pro's, in spite of all the Cons... ie:

- Stealth / Silence (All-Black 'envelope', Fly at Night (proper Nav / Radar-pack needed, Understood..) not much more than the occasional 'Foooosh' / light from the Propane Burners, from below to 'give clue'.. but even That could be mitigated, with some thought put into it..)
- Armorable (Ceramic-plate-surrounds for 'critical areas', from below / UHMWPE and/or composite 'side panels' to deflect ground-fire, etc)
- Defensible (I see No reason why a Gimbal-mounted M-134 / sniper-nest couldn't be implemented.. That - should - deter Most 'ground nuisances', I should think..) and outfit a 15K Lumen spot / BP-grade FLIR-cam, both Thermal / NV, etc
- (Relatively) cheap to Operate / Maintain (vs, say a Sikorsky / Cessna, etc..)
- Could certainly Pack (in Pelicans / Hardiggs, etc) Quite a bit of 'LTS' food / water / means to Cook / Shower, etc..
- a 'Sky Toilet' would be a cinch.. ;)
- Definitely gives no care to 'traffic / roadway-quality concerns', etc..

And, yeah - There Are 'large enough' Globes / 'baskets' to Consider something like this, ie: https://kubicekballoons.co.uk/ptype :cool: Weight Capacity: 2 Pilots + 32 People.. :eek: https://kubicekballoons.co.uk/baskets# (Scroll down to the 'Double TT' baskets, ie:

DTT+Balloon+Basket+1.jpg

...If ya Nix the 32 passengers - That's Quite a bit of 'Cargo-carrying Capacity', so.. Yah - Certainly with some 'specific Mods' / upgrades / Armoring, etc.. I think ya Could actually make something 'Sherman would be jealous of'.. ;)

Now - of Course - This idea is (like this Whole Thread.. :cool: Highly conjecturatory / fantastical, but.. Not 'undoable', and it Could be a way to 'get up / Out / Away', with - relative - quickness (I mean.. How much time does loading / prepping / getting a Sikorsky or Cessna / Beechcraft, whatever Up / Out / Away, etc take, ya know? Then ya've gotta have a LOT more fuel / tools / periodic maintenance / sufficient runway, etc, etc..)

..This has Most of the benefits of a 'Helo-based escape pod', without the Very-steep complexities / maintenance, etc, etc.. Certainly be cheaper to repair or Replace. o_O

Anyway, shy of this, well.. I'd just get a 'Sherp', ie: https://sherpglobal.com/en/ ..with a Trailer / Roof-mounted, Gimballed / Fortified M-134 'defense nest', and Bullet-proofed Panels / Glass, etc, and just GTHO / go to yer 'Remote Cache-Buildings', or whatever.

Fwiw, but hey - At least this wasn't an 'Off the Shelf idea'.. ;)
jd

Last edited:
I think a significant percentage of us - myself included - overthink many things. The exact opposite of "loath thinking". I believe you may be angry at everyone not because they don't think, but because they don't think the same way as you do. Don't confuse someone not understanding what you want, with them not thinking.

That you have!
I think he's created a cluster copulation of Mongolian proportions.
First, he and I go toe to toe because I can't understand what he wants and Havisu has to clean it out, now he's getting in a knot because we can't read his mind. since he thinks we're idiots or something, maybe he should re-state his questions in a way we lesser beings can comprehend.

I think a significant percentage of us - myself included - overthink many things. The exact opposite of "loath thinking". I believe you may be angry at everyone not because they don't think, but because they don't think the same way as you do. Don't confuse someone not understanding what you want, with them not thinking.
You "CONFUSE" choosing with thinking. Think brings "NEW" which did not exist. What you call thinking is "choosing" it is like being at a huge car/truck dealership and being overwhelmed with the choices and styles and colors. You confuse the work of choosing "WHAT ALREADY EXISTS" with thinking. When you think for 6 months or 6 years or a lifetime about one specific concept that has NOT yet ever existed on earth by mankind, and "new" is brought forth, you have thought. Otherwise, you spend your life suffering with having to choose.

Martin Luther brought forth a never before way to hold man's relationship with God. That is thinking. Einstein brought forward two, never before existing concepts of Reality. A "General" theory of Reality, and also a "Specific theory of Reality". That required thinking, he thought something "new".

Much better.
I think we should release 0-point energy to the public, build a gravity well engine, and get the hell out of here before they blow us all up.

I remember one time on a forum someone blasted me saying, they spend all day thinking at work, and they just want to relax and enjoy that forum.

They did not appreciate my pointing out their "work" is choosing and not thinking. They chose between firing an employee or moving them to a different department. They chose the option to expand a product line or scale it back. Then they chose how much to scale it back. All the time believing they are thinking, and sadly could never see they were choosing, choosing between existing options.

In general, the process of "inventing" something new that never existed, would fall under "thinking"

Latest posts

Back