Man sentenced after killing thousands of salmon at an Oregon hatchery

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you knew him, if you knew his family, would you feel the same way. It is a troubled messed up world we live in.
What have they done to marijuana that it has this kind of effect on people? Couldn't remember going to the hatchery?! Or pouring the bleach in?

Had any of the new age weed? Me neither. I can’t make that judgment call. I don’t know what went wrong in his life but what punishment would you suggest?
I don’t like the newer stuff. I’ve never known weed to make anyone violent or destructive. A year on a chain gang plus restitution and probation until the restitution was paid. Regular drug testing while on probation plus the cost of testing added to restitution. It would never fly in OR.

Chronic pot smokers do end up twisted...especially today's THC levels. I'm 73...Woodstock alumnus...been in the music game for over 50 years. I know what the whole scene, is. Like ANYTHING...chronic use is not good for ya'll. From here...I ain't gonna argue the point. If a person wants to toke themselves into mental illness...fine...just leave the salmon alone.

The male, identified as 20-year-old Gardiner resident Joshua Alexander Heckathorn, was contacted and interviewed by the deputy. During the interview, Heckathorn admitted to trespassing on the property and entering a storage location and handling the chemical bottle on Monday.

Additional charges against Heckathorn will include unlawful take of chinook salmon, which raises charges to a Class C felony. In addition, Heckathorn faces charges of making a toxic substance available to wildlife, which is a Class A misdemeanor; and first degree criminal mischief. Additional penalties could include a lifetime angling license suspension and damage suits for unlawful killing of wildlife.

The maximum civil penalty in Oregon for illegal take of a single chinook salmon is $750. Courts have the authority to multiply that amount by the number of fish taken, with a judgement in this case potentially raising the amount to over $13 million, according to Harris, although it is unlikely to elevate to that level.

1720107578410.png

He will just cycle in n out of jail as he violates probation, the system will eventually and likely lower the restitution amount because he can't pay it and over time not only will this cost the hatchery the amount of loss never recovered, the state will blow thousands on a dirtbag cycling in and out of court and jail.
Meanwhile, every time he goes into jail..he can get free dental and medical care on the state taxpayers...
Untill eventually..he will get a early kick, time served ..
I doubt the state will ever send him to prison for it. They along with other liberal states are letting out folks to save money.
Folks still rely on a justice system that is woefully broken...
Well past time for a different approach to dirtbags..

When I get REALLY mad at news I break out my witchcraft tools

Well past time for a different approach to dirtbags..

I agree.. It's not just the 'Value' of those Salmon killed - it's ALL THE FUTURE FOOD those / their Offspring would have produced.. :mad:

..And - one look at this 'Cara de Pendejo' tells me that there Will Be no 'restitution', Pff.. Like he (or his Fam) is even gonna cough up One Million, let alone the value of - Not only those Existing Salmon, but again, all the Future ones, as-per-above, so...

I say to the Piranha Pond with 'im! 🤬

jd

Agree.. The value of, cost to produce the fingerlings up to that one point is one thing.. There value in what they could potentially produce is far, far above that..

The one disruption of a spawning migration for one season that I witnessed took 5 years to recover to only about 10% of what it was before the disruption.. And this was caused by an act of God, nature down stream that was truly unavoidable.. Certainly not a deliberate act of destruction.. Blaming a self induced chemical intoxication is the oldest, lamest excuse in the book.. Don't.... get me started...

Latest posts

Back