"MIGRATE" or "DIE".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are fortunate that we are surrounded by natural-gas wells that can supply endless fuel to the backup generators.:) We will have water.
The other thing that the apocalypse people miss is, there are millions of people that go to work every day, whose job it is to fix stuff and make stuff.
They are very good at what they do, and they won't all vanish overnight. So no, we are not 'doomed to go back to the stone age' for 50 years. 🙄
I agree that the infra structure will still be there, but here any of the compressor stations are all internet controlled. if the net don't work they shut down.

Last edited:
I have a bit of the same reaction when people talk about going back to draft horses unless by choice. I have done both , I choose a tractor. my brother still does some , but he has tractors so he can actualy get done his work. the drafts are by choice to preserve heritage

I have a bit of the same reaction when people talk about going back to draft horses unless by choice. I have done both , I choose a tractor. my brother still does some , but he has tractors so he can actualy get done his work. the drafts are by choice to preserve heritage
I agree for the most part but will add there are times when a horse can get to a place a tractor can't, but I am fully aware that most folks have not experienced those circumstances. A draft horse can do more than pull a plow.

I agree for the most part but will add there are times when a horse can get to a place a tractor can't, but I am fully aware that most folks have not experienced those circumstances. A draft horse can do more than pull a plow.
I totally agree on that, I would love to have an experienced skid horse for example , and horses are just better company than tractors, and a lot of people.

Bikes are a great idea but in a paw situation I think a neck wire pole(i cant think of either name right now) would be in order

Last edited:
Bikes are a great idea but in a paw situation I think a neck wire pole(i cant think of either name right now) would be in order
It is called a cable cutter.

The best solution is to avoid roads........they are more likely to get ambushed independent of the method.

.....hence my preference for real dirt bike capability.

Last edited:
as a life long biker the trouble with any bike will be the availability of fuel and also the noise factor post SHTF, I can hear a bike especially a 2 stroke for miles.

Got to keep "The Mobility Option" in the prepping reality. From "both" points of view, the migrator and/or from the point of view of being "part" of the social system to be overwhelmed by massive influx of desperate humanity.

We are at the end of an eighty-year cycle. It was a wonderful cycle to have experienced. Now migrate or die, the renewed old reality.
Unsure what you mean - migrate to where?

Perhaps a quick study of "The Great Migration" in the American past will shed some light...
6-million African-Americans fled the 'poor south' to northern states for good factory jobs.
Back at that time, it was nearly half of the black population in the southern states.

...After the 20-million immigrants we imported, finish turning this country into garbage, we will probably invade Canada. :oops:
Here's a warning to all: a family member told me the CEO of a hospital was driving down the road and migrants were parked in the lane and he struck and killed one. He was fired and spiraled down.

Be careful everyone.

We should annex western Canada; Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC (except for Victoria), and Yukon. Then we can form a new country with Alaska, eastern Washington, eastern and southern Oregon, northern California, northern Nevada, Idaho (give Boise to Utah), Montana and Wyoming.

We should annex western Canada; Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC (except for Victoria), and Yukon. Then we can form a new country with Alaska, eastern Washington, eastern and southern Oregon, northern California, northern Nevada, Idaho (give Boise to Utah), Montana and Wyoming.
the is a "future'' version of the Risk game that show the areas you describe as Alberta,

I'm going to Mexico!
I would cry crazy having to leave my place in the country but if this would happen!!!
:cry:
As I speak French, English a bit of Yiddish and a little tiny bit of Russian sentences
I would do anything to be accepted as a new Russian Citizen
I know a *tiny bit* of Russian but I would be ready to speak perfectly Russian

It might take a Russian incursion to take care of the WEF sponsored "refugees" that have been /are being imported to North America.

Victoria is the capital of BC and is a city on Vancouver Island. For your plan not to fail, you need to exclude the whole lower mainland including Vancouver and surrounding areas, and possibly up to and including Kamloops. After that, there is some merit to the idea, although Calgary and Edmonton would need a cleanup on isle seven.

Victoria is the capital of BC and is a city on Vancouver Island. For your plan not to fail, you need to exclude the whole lower mainland including Vancouver and surrounding areas, and possibly up to and including Kamloops. After that, there is some merit to the idea, although Calgary and Edmonton would need a cleanup on isle seven.
That's true. But once the Canadian welfare state is gone, most cities would quickly puke out the useless welfare takers.
If this dream country ever became a reality, then we could finally build the bridge from Alaska to Russia. It's been talked about for years. It would open up much of the world to car, truck and rail.

I think that many -- not all, mind you, but a substantial number of -- 'preppers' believe that their present home is not a viable place to survive an SHTF scenario. Most have not come up with a plan on where to go if things start to get more dangerous.

If you don't know where (in general geographical terms) of where you plan to go, you can't figure out (1) how much it'd cost you to move; (2) how long it'll take you to actually travel from 'here' to 'there'; (3) how to convince (and bring) your family to come; (4) have the money to start the minute things begin to Go South; (5) when you will recognize when it's time to go; and 6) what do I take/leave behind; and so on ad infinitum.

I reiterate the comments of my learned colleague, Mr. Haertig: I don't believe many people are trying to winkle out anyone else's bug-out route/loadout. But I'd be a lot more interested hearing such things such as:

• "I'm considering moving from Tennessee to someplace west of the Mississippi, and that means I have to know the locations and prices of available fuel to get me there."
  • "All I have is an F-150 and maybe a little 6-foot trailer to bring all my and my family's possessions; what do I take and what do I leave behind?"
  • What are all the potentially fatal problems in my present home (ex: overcrowding, lack of water, potential for natural disasters, etc.) and how will my homestead-to-be good enough"?
  • My spouse and kids will not want to accompany me to my first couple of choices; do I try to convince them, and, if so, how?...
... and so on. Trying to learn from someone who speaks only in vague generalities will probably not give me any valid -- or useful -- data to use.

I think that many -- not all, mind you, but a substantial number of -- 'preppers' believe that their present home is not a viable place to survive an SHTF scenario. Most have not come up with a plan on where to go if things start to get more dangerous.

If you don't know where (in general geographical terms) of where you plan to go, you can't figure out (1) how much it'd cost you to move; (2) how long it'll take you to actually travel from 'here' to 'there'; (3) how to convince (and bring) your family to come; (4) have the money to start the minute things begin to Go South; (5) when you will recognize when it's time to go; and 6) what do I take/leave behind; and so on ad infinitum.

I reiterate the comments of my learned colleague, Mr. Haertig: I don't believe many people are trying to winkle out anyone else's bug-out route/loadout. But I'd be a lot more interested hearing such things such as:

• "I'm considering moving from Tennessee to someplace west of the Mississippi, and that means I have to know the locations and prices of available fuel to get me there."
  • "All I have is an F-150 and maybe a little 6-foot trailer to bring all my and my family's possessions; what do I take and what do I leave behind?"
  • What are all the potentially fatal problems in my present home (ex: overcrowding, lack of water, potential for natural disasters, etc.) and how will my homestead-to-be good enough"?
  • My spouse and kids will not want to accompany me to my first couple of choices; do I try to convince them, and, if so, how?...
... and so on. Trying to learn from someone who speaks only in vague generalities will probably not give me any valid -- or useful -- data to use.
Why are you considering moving from TN?

I think that those were hypothetical questions, more of a point of actually asking questions propperly than his questions per se

I couldn't resist clicking on your link and got a kick out of seeing SD's avatar over there...

The Few. The Proud.. The SB-Banned. :p

They just S-canned Another longtime / wise-from-experience contributor over there: 'AZ_HighCountry'... :rolleyes::mad: Tryin'a get him over Here to join up (he's Really busy with work travels, etc..) but.. He'll - like Sourdough, Aerindel, Paul Kersey, Steve-In_29, et al - Also be a 'solid add' to the Signal-side of things, herein.. Lots of .mil logistics connections / insider insight, thereof, etc..:cool:

jd

Our colleague Mr. TiredIron is right; these were examples of what would be questions that you might read on fora such as this one.

To be precise:

• I live in southern Idaho, about an hour or so north of Utah and the same distance west of Wyoming.
  • I don't have an F-150 but I'd give body parts to be able to trade in my old Nissan XTerra for one!
  • Our brats are grown, and Dawn and I were both excited to come. Sure, we missed our friends and the big city amenities, but it was worth it. We didn't know it then, but agreeing on this sort of move up front could save you a lot of trouble later.
I believe that any endeavor will succeed if everyone is all in with it.

My sister told me the women would come into her store with their nails done and pay with an EBT card angering all the workers.
I've seen it myself.

Edit: not only have I seen that, but I've seen people buying high end cuts of meat that I wouldn't buy while working two or three jobs, etc. with EBT cards.

Last edited:
Makes a person wonder who is the smarter "with-in" any given economic system. And who consumes the "righteousness" thinking.

One is "stuck", and one is unstuck. One has a higher probability to survive. The genetics of one will over several generations evolve, one will not.

Last edited:
Makes a person wonder who is the smarter "with-in" any given economic system. And who consumes the "righteousness" thinking.

One is "stuck", and one is unstuck. One has a higher probability to survive. The genetics of one will over several generations evolve, one will not.
I seriously doubt one economic state is going to be of a whole lot of help in the future world. preps will help som, skills will be key luck will help others. or $hit will just drag on getting stupider and stupider than anyone can imagine.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about what welfare people buy...
I was visiting my son in NC a few weeks ago and for lunch one day, I grabbed us a couple of sub sandwiches from a grocery store called Harris Teeter. My grocery doesn't sell hot food or fresh subs, so it was kind of fun to see what they had and how they did stuff !
There was a lady in front of me with a child in her cart, so I overheard her conversation with the sandwich maker. He asked her if she wanted her sandwiches heated and she said she "wasn't allowed to get hot food." He just said OK, put her subs in "cold sub" bags, and she went on her way with her two meatball subs and a club sub. Probably a "relatively healthy" meal for her family?
After she was out of earshot, I asked the employee what the deal was with hot sub bags vs cold sub bags...was hot more expensive?
He said the prices were identical, but she was a SNAP (food stamp) customer and there was a rule that said :
SNAP users were not allowed to get hot meals.
I asked WHY?? He said he thought it was sort of like a passive aggressive punishment doled out by congressional bill writers.
I think he was probably correct.
I already knew for sure that SNAP users can't use their card to buy alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. (VERY reasonable.)
Of course, from my own store, I'm sure I've read the "NO-NO" list hundreds of times, but I guess I just glossed over the hot-foods part?
Additionally, other no-no items include "nonfood items such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, medicines and vitamins, household supplies, grooming items, and cosmetics" and I guess all those make sense, except for prescription medicines, but maybe Medicare or Medicaid cover those?
The hot-foods part does seem petty to me.

Latest posts

Back