Moving your preps / supplies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
In this purely hypothetical scenario, let's say Dimitri Rufus Change III is going to move and his new place will most assuredly not have the same amount of storage space his old place had. Dimitri has a 20' Conex storage container that is approx. 60% full, so perhaps 600-650 cubic feet or so worth of preps. These supplies range from food buckets, 10# cans, ration bars, MRE's, alcohol bottles, salt, sugar, lanterns, fuel, batteries, water purifiers, medical supplies, tools and all the other good stuff one would want under less than ideal conditions. For the moment we will not include guns, ammunition and related supplies in this, again, purely hypothetical scenario.

How would you prioritize what to keep? A portion of everything or all of the most important things?

Would a storage garage be acceptable for these items? What about a secure storage lot where the whole container can go?

How would you rid yourself of the items you don't retain? Sell em? Toss em? Leave em behind?

What other considerations, obstacles, benefits or issues come to mind?

Dimitri needs toilet paper. ;) Just kidding.

Assuming this is just a move and not TEOTWAWKI, take the smallest, most valuable items (so put the guns back in the Conex. Whatever supplies are available at the destination, don't bring them with you. Not for your particular scenario but 9 times out of 10, moving furniture isn't worth it. Leave it behind and get replacements at your destination.

Never checked on it, but around here there are outdoor locations, some covered, where you can rent space to store boats and campers. I would bet a conex or three would be accepted as well.
Having a place to move to with less storage sounds like a bad move to me. We don't have enough storage, and I can't imagine giving any up

In this purely hypothetical scenario, let's say Dimitri Rufus Change III is going to move and his new place will most assuredly not have the same amount of storage space his old place had. Dimitri has a 20' Conex storage container that is approx. 60% full, so perhaps 600-650 cubic feet or so worth of preps. These supplies range from food buckets, 10# cans, ration bars, MRE's, alcohol bottles, salt, sugar, lanterns, fuel, batteries, water purifiers, medical supplies, tools and all the other good stuff one would want under less than ideal conditions. For the moment we will not include guns, ammunition and related supplies in this, again, purely hypothetical scenario.

How would you prioritize what to keep? A portion of everything or all of the most important things?

Would a storage garage be acceptable for these items? What about a secure storage lot where the whole container can go?

How would you rid yourself of the items you don't retain? Sell em? Toss em? Leave em behind?

What other considerations, obstacles, benefits or issues come to mind?
Dimitri needs to buy a 45 foot conex on a chassis and move his stuff into that for the move, and perhaps need for quick relocation. the left over space can also function as a emergency "home"

I am dealing with something similar.. still trying to get homeowners insurance since I got cancelled for having to much "stuff or debris" on my one acre.
I have ended up throwing away a lot of good stuff since I don't want to try selling things like wheat and beans and every imaginable tool and usefull bit I have acquired from yard sales and estate sales. I gave away some stuff but dolar yard sales take too much time and energy.
I am keeping water and food and defense, and also my tools that I can make more things with.
I have two larger storage units stuffed (which I am going to empty as soon as I get my insurance approval). I also have piles under tarps on the back of my property with a fence around it.
Too bad there wasn't any beginning preppers around my area with some extra space.
Right now my problem is I can't find anything......

This Dimitri bought two 40 footers and regrets not having bought one more. Had a trucking company move them and had a crane out to load them and later, unload them. No movers. A semi can haul 58,000 lbs for half the cost and double the wt of a moving company. Had two more flat bed semis to haul the big tractor and equipment.

Trying to replace the contents of a farm at prices nowadays will cost far more than the shipping.

The 40 footers became the missing storage space. Obviously, this only works to move really rural.

When we decided to move to our current location, we sold almost all furniture, riding mower, tiller, chickens, etc. We moved 4 trailer loads of stuff ourselves, then hired a moving company to move the rest. It still took 2 semi loads to get everything here. Quite a bit went in to our barn, my parents garage and 2 large storage buildings. We have a lot more stuff now. If we ever move again we'll have a large auction and sell most every thing that we now have.

This Dimitri bought two 40 footers and regrets not having bought one more. Had a trucking company move them and had a crane out to load them and later, unload them. No movers. A semi can haul 58,000 lbs for half the cost and double the wt of a moving company. Had two more flat bed semis to haul the big tractor and equipment.

Trying to replace the contents of a farm at prices nowadays will cost far more than the shipping.

The 40 footers became the missing storage space. Obviously, this only works to move really rural.
I once had a desire to buy two 40’ers and to separate them and build a house over the top and a wall at one end and garage doors at the other end. The containers could be storage and the bay could be a multi bay garage/ shop. I could cantilever one or both sides for wood storage or to park lawn/farm equipment etc. Today I don’t want the stairs so possibly just a roof over the two containers with a garage between.

still trying to get homeowners insurance since I got cancelled for having to much "stuff or debris" on my one acre
That sucks. I hope you find a better insurance company. I wonder why they would care what you have stored on your property? Unless they're talking about uncleared brush or something like that near the house that would be a wildfire risk.

Latest posts

Back