Name that Thing~

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another one. Anybody know what this is? The top is stamped Made in USA 1917. Someone hubby knows on FB is trying to figure it out.
View attachment 117388
Interesting question.

There may be a maker's mark just below the bottom left screw head. The resolution is too low to make sense of it. A double anchor?

So I have to choice between ....

Is that what it originally manufactured as

Or

Did someone repurpose something cool.

After some pondering I will go with....

An umbrella stand.
:rolleyes:

Ben

Interesting question.

There may be a maker's mark just below the bottom left screw head. The resolution is too low to make sense of it. A double anchor?

So I have to choice between ....

Is that what it originally manufactured as

Or

Did someone repurpose something cool.

After some pondering I will go with....

An umbrella stand.
:rolleyes:

Ben
There was another pix, but now FB isn't letting him get to it. If he succeeds, I will share it. The center hole only went down about 4" (looked to me). I was even thinking plant stand. When I first saw it I thought of one of those meditation bells. Will see if he can find it.

I want to guess they are window hardware.

View attachment 103714

I am guessing related to a window latch.

View attachment 103715

Could that be a half cleat to tie back curtains from a window?

Just guessing

Ben
Sorry, I don't remember the name. It looks like a piece off a smaller sailboat. I goes just above the chainplate to attach a stay with.

It is indeed a drumstick maker. You take your ground chicken, or whatever, and form your drumstick. You would have a box of dowels with one end sharpened, like a pencil. You shove the dowel through the hole at the end. When you open the mold the drumstick is then rolled inn bread or cracker crumbs. My grandparents used to sell them at their meat market. I remember Mom making these regularly.

View attachment 103620
This was in a kitchen drawer at my older couple's house. Any ideas on what it is???

Received a gift today, just a few odds and ends. A friend was painting a house and bought an old machinists tool box from the new residents. It was left in the basement, a beautiful wooden box, a dozen thin drawers with all sorts of goodies left inside. He gave me a few items...

First, looks like a coin. Had a 1 on one side. There other side has a tiny swastika under an eagle. Guesses?

Second, I’ve seen similar tools but don’t know what its called. It’s a collapsing drill. Press down on the handle and the tip spins as the tool gets shorter. Unscrew the handle and there’s a selection of bits inside. They aren't regular drill bits, no point, blunt on the end like a router bit. I’ve seen screw drivers that worked like this but nothing so elaborate. I think it comes apart further but I want to know more about it first. Stamped on the shaft is "Yankee No 41, North Bros, Philly PA". anyone know what this thing is called?

20240629_220142a.jpg
20240629_220205a.jpg
20240629_220229a.jpg
20240629_220247a.jpg
20240629_220334a.jpg

Last edited:
1941, a swastika, an eagle? and does that say Deut...can't make out the rest of it....so I'm guessing a German coin and on looking online found:
View attachment 156398
GERMANY 10 REICHSPFENNIG 1941 COIN
am I playing the game correctly?

thanks... went looking with your info..

My coin is a 1 Reichspfennig w/1941 as the date, can barely make out the 4.

German coin 1.jpg

@Peanut I can see the 4 on my screen with the zoom in. You can get anywhere from $10-$20 for it but I would keep it unless I had others to sell. One of my brothers used to collect the glass insulators and would poke around old abandoned homesites in the woods, finding old bottles with bubbles in the glass.

Received a gift today, just a few odds and ends. A friend was painting a house and bought an old machinists tool box from the new residents. It was left in the basement, a beautiful wooden box, a dozen thin drawers with all sorts of goodies left inside. He gave me a few items...

First, looks like a coin. Had a 1 on one side. There other side has a tiny swastika under an eagle. Guesses?

Second, I’ve seen similar tools but don’t know what its called. It’s a collapsing drill. Press down on the handle and the tip spins as the tool gets shorter. Unscrew the handle and there’s a selection of bits inside. They aren't regular drill bits, no point, blunt on the end like a router bit. I’ve seen screw drivers that worked like this but nothing so elaborate. I think it comes apart further but I want to know more about it first. Stamped on the shaft is "Yankee No 41, North Bros, Philly PA". anyone know what this thing is called?

View attachment 156390View attachment 156391View attachment 156392View attachment 156393View attachment 156394
Peanut thats called a push drill....some called it a yankee push drill. I have one like yours...theres variations of them made down through time.

@Peanut I can see the 4 on my screen with the zoom in. You can get anywhere from $10-$20 for it but I would keep it unless I had others to sell. One of my brothers used to collect the glass insulators and would poke around old abandoned homesites in the woods, finding old bottles with bubbles in the glass.

I'll keep it, my friend knew i have a box of foreign money I got in my travels. Nothing valuable, mostly coins, a few small bills. He actually gave me 3 coins yesterday. One from Belgium that's badly worn. Then a 2 shilling british coin, dated 1960.

Peanut thats called a push drill....some called it a yankee push drill. I have one like yours...theres variations of them made down through time.

Thanks! I've seen similar used to build air planes on tv, ww2 footage. I'd never seen one irl.

Latest posts

Back