Pain relief stronger than aspirin in preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone study or use these plant as a substitute for pain killer or grow them?
Herbs for Natural Pain Relief
WHITE WILLOW BARK
Containing an aspirin-like compound known as salicin, white willow bark has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for inflammation and pain.
DEVIL'S CLAW
Traditionally used for rheumatoid arthritis, the South African herb devil's claw may also soothe pain resulting from osteoarthritis, tendonitis, and back and neck troubles, according to proponents. Seed pods use in dried arrangements, get seeds on line.
BROMELAIN
Bromelain reduces levels of hormones in the body that control inflammation. These hormones, known as prostaglandins, initiate inflammation and keep it going.
Bromelain is extracted from the stems of pineapples. While the meat of the pineapple does contain a small amount of bromelain, it isn't enough to be medicinally helpful. Usually, it's offered as a pill or tablet to people with inflammation or infection.
TURMERIC
Another popular ayurvedic spice, turmeric contains an antioxidant compound called curcumin.
Curcumin has been shown to reduce pain by acting on the nervous system. Animal-based studies have also shown some preliminary evidence that the spice could control inflammatory proteins called cytokines.8 When cytokines are not under control, a condition known as a cytokine storm syndrome can occur. This is associated with serious illness and inflammation.

While sipping ginger tea can help relieve cold-related congestion, supplementing with ginger may help to ease the pain. Research indicates that ginger may calm arthritis pain, possibly by lowering your prostaglandin levels.
GINGER
One 2015 study even suggests that ginger could reduce pain and inflammation as effectively as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as aspirin), although more further research is still needed.

White willow bark, turmeric, and ginger contain natural blood-thinning compounds, so people taking many common medications and supplements and those about to undergo surgery should be careful and discuss these supplements with their doctors.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/herbs-for-pain-management-89299#:~:text=In studies, several of th
I grow pineapples & Ginger, I should get a white willow tree & Devil claw seeds.
This list is not near all the plants & it is for when & if you run out of meds.
PEANUT, it is your turn.
I never heard of ginger for pain. I sometimes use it for digestion. If you grow it are you in Florida? I envied the people in CA when I saw them growing oranges in their yard. The only thing is that I wondered how they dealt with people trying to steal them.

I don't react well to curcumin but it may work for someone else. I wish that there were alternatives as I would surely try them. I think that God did put things on this earth to alleviate our pain in time of need, but like everything else, it got perverted. Now an MD has control of how much or if you get pain relief.

I was hesitant to even bring this topic up but if we squarely look into the realities that we are facing then I think that we need to prepare for a possible emergency. When I looked at the devastation in NC I knew that there must be injured people still up in those mountains. God forbid if you lost a limb or had a gaping wound that needed tending. That's why I believe that we need to prepare for ourselves because we cannot rely on FEMA to swoop in and rescue us.

There are times when pain is just out of control - such as what happened to my hubby's buddy when he drove drunk. He was actually screaming in pain.
If One Looks Closer, curcumin is Not the Only One Mentioned in that Link...!!! :(

That weed oil , RSO I think it's called is great for pain. My neighbor who was going through cancer used it and when I tried it I was pain free, slept great too.

However it does have the THC in it. So if your still working , and since most jobs drug test it's a no go for folks like me who work n subjected to random testing.

Nothing says you can't keep some handy in case SHTF and you need it.

If one is retired , use it when you need it.

Just figure out how much works for you for pain relief and don't be a idiot and drive while on it.

Over the counter stuff, alcohol are ok too..but gotta remember they are really poison in the long run and some are addictive.

Funny how that works..taboo the stuff that works n give the peasants poison for pain..

That weed oil , RSO I think it's called is great for pain. My neighbor who was going through cancer used it and when I tried it I was pain free, slept great too.

However it does have the THC in it. So if your still working , and since most jobs drug test it's a no go for folks like me who work n subjected to random testing.

Nothing says you can't keep some handy in case SHTF and you need it.

If one is retired , use it when you need it.

Just figure out how much works for you for pain relief and don't be a idiot and drive while on it.

Over the counter stuff, alcohol are ok too..but gotta remember they are really poison in the long run and some are addictive.

Funny how that works..taboo the stuff that works n give the peasants poison for pain..
I've never tried the oil. The gummies were relaxing but I didn't get pain relief. I read that police arrested a grandmother in Disneyworld in Florida for having THC oil for her pain. These government folks have lost their marbles.

Alcohol is hard on the liver - I agree. But if a beam swung down and cut or broke your leg and you're a ways from the hospital or are blocked from getting help like the people in NC, alcohol may be good to keep on hand. I still think it's a good idea to try to get something for pain to keep in your kit, but keeping several bottles of alcohol may be a good move.

They sell a powder that stops bleeding. I bought some for my emergency kit.
Uhm, the powders are not recommended anymore. They can be difficult to remove from wounds. What you want are the newer quick clot impregnated gauze packing. The 4 ft lengths if possible. Unfortunately they are really expensive and hence in very limited use by regular people. I keep two in each of my trauma kits, but should have about six.

I have been on Hydrocodone for years. My prescription is for 10Mg every 6 hours. I split my pill in half and take 5 Mg every 3 hours or longer. If I take 10 Mg I get high and I don’t care for that. By taking half as much twice as often I don’t get high but the pain is reduced and most of the time the pain is eliminated. This trick was taught to me by one of my pain doctors.

By taking as little as possible and only when I need it I believe that I have avoided developing an addiction. Part of this is due to the way I take my opiate and part is that I’m not prone to addiction. I used to drink a fifth of scotch per day. I went to sleep because it was bedtime, not because I passed out. I had developed a high tolerance to alcohol. I gave up alcohol because I got bored with it. Now I’ll have one beer, or shot, three to six times a year, with no desire for more. Were I an alcoholic I couldn’t drink like that.

Uhm, the powders are not recommended anymore. They can be difficult to remove from wounds. What you want are the newer quick clot impregnated gauze packing. The 4 ft lengths if possible. Unfortunately they are really expensive and hence in very limited use by regular people. I keep two in each of my trauma kits, but should have about six.
I'm glad you told me that. I'll look for it.

it's pretty easy to grow your own weed, so I would imagine you can grow your own poppies to make pain meds out of? Not sure don't need any at this point but it's a thought . I got a pack of wildflower seeds a few years ago and a ton of poppies grewI
it's pretty easy to grow your own weed, so I would imagine you can grow your own poppies to make pain meds out of? Not sure don't need any at this point but it's a thought . I got a pack of wildflower seeds a few years ago and a ton of poppies grew
I actually thought of that.

it's pretty easy to grow your own weed, so I would imagine you can grow your own poppies to make pain meds out of? Not sure don't need any at this point but it's a thought . I got a pack of wildflower seeds a few years ago and a ton of poppies grew
I actually thought of that.
It's not a bad thought to think about producing your own medicines. One of the main reasons for people being homesteaders and preppers is to strive to be as autonomous, independent and self-sustaining as possible and not have to be reliant on or expect other agencies to be responsible for our personal, individual well being. That includes trying to be as sensible and responsible as possible for our own health with the foods, medicines and supplements we use. As such, it's a good thing to learn about and practise herbalism from both a medicinal and culinary standpoint.

But growing poppies for medicine is a different kettle of fish from other kinds of herbalism. There are over 800 known species of poppies and not all of them are in the same genera or have the same functions. There is something like 42 different genera (sub-families) of plants in the overall poppy family. Some species are beautiful and may even look like opium poppies but they don't possess much (if any) medicinal properties. And then there are a good sized range of species that possess safe, mild, general purpose medicinal properties suitable for human use, nothing extreme. And then there are other species that have a large variety of medical uses, some of which can be deadly if you don't understand the powerful alkaloids they contain and the mechanisms of what you're working with.

The commonly sold packages of mixed wild flower seeds that have poppy seeds in the mix may have the seeds of 10 or more different species of wild and domesticated poppies present in the mix, some of which can be helpful medicinally. But in those wild flower seed mixes it will not be a common thing to find the seeds of the opium poppy Papaver somniferum in the mix. So if anybody is going to grow poppies for the purpose of producing strong medicine to relieve extreme pain they will need to FIRST learn about the plants and learn about what species is best for their purposes, and what poppies might be the most dangerous to one's health to be playing around with.

If you really want to grow poppies for making your own medicines my suggestion for beginning herbalists is to EDUCATE yourself first and start small first with safer and simpler plants such as California poppies and Celandine poppies (both of which are often found in the wild flower seed mixes). Become learned and experienced in the growing, preparation and extraction processes and with their medicinal effects on your system. Then with greater experience start working your way up to learning about some of the somewhat bigger guns like Common Red poppy for example, and thence on to the most potent and biggest gun of them all which is the Opium poppy, Papaver somniferum. Bearing in mind that Papaver somniferum is also the most addictive and can be the most dangerous and destructive of them all.

Here is some information about just a few of the most popular species of poppies found growing in ornamental gardens in North America. https://www.americanmeadows.com/content/wildflower-seeds/poppy-seeds/all-about-poppies

My favourites to grow for making safer, not addictive medicines are the California and Celandine poppies because the whole plants - roots, leaves, flowers, seeds and all - can be utilized. The Common Red poppy (Papaver rhoeas) is my favourite poppy for making stronger pain relieving, relaxing and anti-anxiety tinctures made from the latex obtained from its seed capsules .

It's not a bad thought to think about producing your own medicines. One of the main reasons for people being homesteaders and preppers is to strive to be as autonomous, independent and self-sustaining as possible and not have to be reliant on or expect other agencies to be responsible for our personal, individual well being. That includes trying to be as sensible and responsible as possible for our own health with the foods, medicines and supplements we use. As such, it's a good thing to learn about and practise herbalism from both a medicinal and culinary standpoint.

But growing poppies for medicine is a different kettle of fish from other kinds of herbalism. There are over 800 known species of poppies and not all of them are in the same genera or have the same functions. There is something like 42 different genera (sub-families) of plants in the overall poppy family. Some species are beautiful and may even look like opium poppies but they don't possess much (if any) medicinal properties. And then there are a good sized range of species that possess safe, mild, general purpose medicinal properties suitable for human use, nothing extreme. And then there are other species that have a large variety of medical uses, some of which can be deadly if you don't understand the powerful alkaloids they contain and the mechanisms of what you're working with.

The commonly sold packages of mixed wild flower seeds that have poppy seeds in the mix may have the seeds of 10 or more different species of wild and domesticated poppies present in the mix, some of which can be helpful medicinally. But in those wild flower seed mixes it will not be a common thing to find the seeds of the opium poppy Papaver somniferum in the mix. So if anybody is going to grow poppies for the purpose of producing strong medicine to relieve extreme pain they will need to FIRST learn about the plants and learn about what species is best for their purposes, and what poppies might be the most dangerous to one's health to be playing around with.

If you really want to grow poppies for making your own medicines my suggestion for beginning herbalists is to EDUCATE yourself first and start small first with safer and simpler plants such as California poppies and Celandine poppies (both of which are often found in the wild flower seed mixes). Become learned and experienced in the growing, preparation and extraction processes and with their medicinal effects on your system. Then with greater experience start working your way up to learning about some of the somewhat bigger guns like Common Red poppy for example, and thence on to the most potent and biggest gun of them all which is the Opium poppy, Papaver somniferum. Bearing in mind that Papaver somniferum is also the most addictive and can be the most dangerous and destructive of them all.

Here is some information about just a few of the most popular species of poppies found growing in ornamental gardens in North America. https://www.americanmeadows.com/content/wildflower-seeds/poppy-seeds/all-about-poppies

My favourites to grow for making safer, not addictive medicines are the California and Celandine poppies because the whole plants - roots, leaves, flowers, seeds and all - can be utilized. The Common Red poppy (Papaver rhoeas) is my favourite poppy for making stronger pain relieving, relaxing and anti-anxiety tinctures made from the latex obtained from its seed capsules .

I watched a video of a guy awhile ago who made opiates from the poppy plant. It looked very involved. However, we don't know what things are going to be like here even a year from now so I do think it's prudent to buy some of the correct species just in case. When I find some time I'm going to look into it again.

I know in the old west pain relievers were sold over the counter so it must not have been too hard to make. It's ridiculous the hoops people have to jump through to get relief.

I wasn't planning on making heroin or whatever you make out of it, I was just throwing it out there since all the real pain meds is made from that ( right?Not totally sure but think it is) . I looked up what sort of poppies we have in the garden, and I think they are large red oriental poppies. That's the best I could find online doing a quick search. It also said ALL poppies have some of that stuff in it, just the medicinal ones have more. It also said if you make tea out of unwashed poppy seeds you get the same effect, but you have to drink a lot of it. I have some poppy seeds for baking , wonder if they have drugs on them . It said the drugs are what's around the seeds

m now so I do think it's prudent to buy some of the correct species just in case. When I find some time I'm going to look into it again.

I know in the old west pain relievers were sold over the counter so it must not have been too hard to make. It's ridiculous the hoops people have to jump through to get relief.
thats definitely true. I suffered for many YEARS from panic attacks and anxiety and was prescribed xanax for it, which in hindsight I think made it worse. I am now mostly anxiety free unless I have a huge amount of stress just by using medical marijuana. I started growing it myself after buying it at the pharmacy for a year or so ( legal in Virginia) and now I make my own gummies and just take a small amount at night. So I am not even "high" or anything but anxiety free. Our wonderful government can take the responsibility for me being miserable for many years
Then the covid crap. I don't trust the medical industry in this country at all.

Bakers creek put this out 4 years ago

I watched a video of a guy awhile ago who made opiates from the poppy plant. It looked very involved. However, we don't know what things are going to be like here even a year from now so I do think it's prudent to buy some of the correct species just in case. When I find some time I'm going to look into it again.

I don't think of it as jumping through hoops to get relief. I think of it as taking personal responsibility for my own well being and doing for myself, instead of expecting other people to take responsibility for me and provide for my demands.

It's true that in the past it was possible to get certain types of fast acting pain relievers sold over the counter at apothecary shops. But those medicines weren't always easy to come by, they still had to be grown, foraged or otherwise acquired through time, effort and financial cost, then properly prepared by the knowledgeable apothecarist who advised the customers about them and sold them. The apothecarist made and sold those medicines for people who didn't have the knowledge or means for making their own medicines.

Those OTC medicines weren't free and a conscientious apothecarist , again due to his own time, effort and expense, had to try to judge whether or not the customer was a sensible person who really needed the medicine and would use it responsibly or if it was somebody who was a hypochondriac or drug abuser simply looking for a quick fix to feed their neurosis or their addiction. If it was clear that the customer was a neurotic or an addict the conscientious apothecarist didn't give them the real medicines they asked for, he'd sell them sugar pills or some other kinds of placebos so that his legitimate customers in real need wouldn't be deprived of the medicines they genuinely required. Placebos worked well for a lot of people because the power of the mind is an amazing thing and even back then any apothecarist worth his salt was well aware of that.

Times are changing today - everything is changing around the whole world - and the possibility exists that in the very near future we could all be plunged into a dark age where NONE of the wonderful medicines that we've become accustomed to and take for granted in this day and age will be available to anyone. Not anyone. If that time comes it's better to be knowledgeable and prepared ahead of time, well in advance, to be able to take responsibility for making our own medicines before that potential dark age comes crashing down on us.

I wasn't planning on making heroin or whatever you make out of it, I was just throwing it out there since all the real pain meds is made from that ( right?Not totally sure but think it is) . I looked up what sort of poppies we have in the garden, and I think they are large red oriental poppies. That's the best I could find online doing a quick search. It also said ALL poppies have some of that stuff in it, just the medicinal ones have more. It also said if you make tea out of unwashed poppy seeds you get the same effect, but you have to drink a lot of it. I have some poppy seeds for baking , wonder if they have drugs on them . It said the drugs are what's around the seeds
I understood what you meant, and yes it's good that you mentioned it. All 800 of the various species of plants in the poppy family have opiates in them to one degree or another and most of them have other medicinal properties to them besides relieving pain and anxiety.

The poppy seeds that are sold for baking come from the Opium poppy, they are used for their distinctive taste that is unlike the seeds of any other types of poppy plants. There is a huge industry world wide in Opium poppy production and its many by-products, including the seeds - and the opiate in the seeds is actually in the whole seed, not just on the outside of the seed.

But one would have to use really a lot of the seeds to get some small degree of effect from making a tea or infusion from them. Also, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, one would risk being tested positive for opium if a drug test is administered, and they'd also risk screwing up the digestive and elimination system because of the way the opiates can cause really dangerous constipation, possibly fatal if taken in large enough amounts.

Back