Plumcots.... ??...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
The first time I have seen these was the other day at Trader Joes... Like the name implies and the description says, they are the size of a large apricot, small plumb, and dark purple.. These are quite soft to being quite fragile to handle, very juicy, very naturally sweet and good..
Like said, this is my first encounter with them and I wonder how they would work in a jam, upside down cake, or other fruit use ??

Anyone have experience with them ??

https://www.google.com/search?q=plu...IHCAkQABiABKgCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have bought them from a roadside stand or one of those produce trucks that sit in parking lots, can't recall. Either way they are tasty for sure, but you're right very fragile.

The first time I have seen these was the other day at Trader Joes... Like the name implies and the description says, they are the size of a large apricot, small plumb, and dark purple.. These are quite soft to being quite fragile to handle, very juicy, very naturally sweet and good..
Like said, this is my first encounter with them and I wonder how they would work in a jam, upside down cake, or other fruit use ??

Anyone have experience with them ??

https://www.google.com/search?q=plu...IHCAkQABiABKgCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
You can buy the trees & there are other stone fruit hybrids out there.

Are Plumcots Healthy?

Plumcots have a slightly fuzzy, plum-colored skin with a vibrant red flesh that's sweet and juicy. These babies only have 30 calories per fruit and boast a whopping 3 grams dietary fiber, 10 percent of your daily vitamin C needs, and 6 percent of your daily vitamin A needs. Simply eating two of these would offer about a quarter of your daily fiber needs and give you a serious vitamin boost!

Plumcots are stone fruits that are a plum-apricot hybrid. Plant breeder Luther Burbank came up with the idea of cross-pollinating the two summertime stone fruits back in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Another plant breeder–Floyd Zaiger–renewed efforts to bring the 50-50 plum-apricot mix to market. He's come up with all sorts of variations of the stone fruit combo including dapple dandy and flavor grenade pluots.

Plumcots vs Pluots vs Apriums

Now you may be wondering if plumcots are the same as pluots or apriums you might also have seen amongst the other fruit hybrids. All three of these fruits are apricot-plum crossovers but have varying amounts of each fruit. Plumcots have an equal apricot-to-plum ratio, while apriums have about a 75-25 apricot-to-plum ratio with fuzzier skin, and pluots have a 25-75 apricot-to-plum ratio with smoother skin. We think it's worth trying them all to see what your favorite flavor combination is!

1720007379340.png
1720007397496.png
1720007407959.png
1720007426769.png

Anyone know the difference between peaches & nectarines?

Latest posts

Back