• Two New features staring today. - The first will security lock account if user didn't login for two years - The second will warn and security lock account if password found in data breach ( even if user is recently active) .. it will also warn users about weak passwords during registration. The compromised is from a data base list, and not from anything on this forum. If you are logged in all the time, this will not effect you. It only works when logging in.

Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borrowed from social media.

4th4.jpg

For folks who might not know…. This is a Cottonmouth! If you can see the fangs you are standing waaaaaay too close. 🤣 They will come directly at you!!! They’ve chased me up a tree before. It’s a highly aggressive snake that rarely bites. But they will convince you that they are going to take your leg off. 10ft is safe from a rattlesnake. Not so with a cottonmouth, 15/20ft is better.

They are deceptively small, rarely more than 30inches. Usually about 2 feet like this one. The older the snake the blacker they appear, almost completely black. They have another trick, their tail will sometimes vibrate just like a rattlesnake, but they have no rattles. If they are in leaf litter it’s very convincing. I almost always see them next to water, especially close to swampy ground.

A friend killed this one crossing the road by his pasture. It had to go!!!

Big video, 7mb...

IMG_2348a.JPG

Last edited:
For folks who might not know…. This is a Cottonmouth! If you can see the fangs you are standing waaaaaay too close. 🤣 They will come directly at you!!! They’ve chased me up a tree before. It’s a highly aggressive snake that rarely bites. But they will convince you that they are going to. 10ft is safe from a rattlesnake. Not so with a cottonmouth, 15/20ft is better.

They are deceptively small, rarely more than 30inches. Usually about 2 feet like this one. The older the snake the blacker they appear, almost completely black. They have another trick, their tail will sometimes vibrate just like a rattlesnake, but they have no rattles. If they are in leaf litter it’s very convincing. I almost always see them next to water, especially close to swampy ground.

Big video, 7mb...

View attachment 156941

View attachment 156942
Great post!! Thank you!!

For folks who might not know…. This is a Cottonmouth! If you can see the fangs you are standing waaaaaay too close. 🤣 They will come directly at you!!! They’ve chased me up a tree before. It’s a highly aggressive snake that rarely bites. But they will convince you that they are going to take your leg off. 10ft is safe from a rattlesnake. Not so with a cottonmouth, 15/20ft is better.

Big video, 7mb...

View attachment 156941

View attachment 156942
They cut off the best part of the video: "the shot". :(

I had to edit the video. It was way too big to post. I had to use a cable to get it on my computer, too big to email. I chopped off the first 7sec and the last 4. Then i had to shrink the frame size and strip out the audio. It's still a very big file, some folks might have trouble viewing it. Sorry!

Last edited:
I had to edit the video. It was way to big to post. I had to use a cable to get it on my computer, too big to email. I chopped off the first 7sec and the last 4. Then i had to shrink the frame size and strip out the audio. It's still a very big file, some folks might have trouble viewing it. Sorry!
Well, upload it to YouTube and link to it. :)
I wanna see it get killed! :waiting:

Cottonmouths et al are why i keep a pair of snake gaiters in the truck along with a good staff. Both have saved me in the past, been struck by copperheads a couple times. Also have a bush axe. I go to snake infested creeks all summer hunting plants but I go equipped for the critters.

Below are different places i go monthly. To get help i'd have to walk 100yrds+, only one is close to a paved road. So I'm very careful. I don't get in a hurry, know exactly where i'm stepping. Snakes are there, just have to see them first. I expect to see one every time i hit the woods.

In the south copperheads bite more people than rattlers and cottonmouths combined. They strike blind at anything that moves. If you step in range they bite. But cottonmouths are far more intimidating, they will make you run! 🤣

Bottom pic, a copperhead that almost got me! I put on my gaiters, stepped to the rear of my truck to get my staff. Never got that far, I had to jump this little devil. All i had was channel locks in my pocket so I beaned him. Here ya go Sup! the aftermath!

Snakey 003.jpg
Snakey 004.jpg
Snakey 005.jpg
Snakey 007.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, to be young again! There was a day long ago that if I would have seen this I would try it! Now I would just walk up to the post and lay on the ground..... that's where I would end up if I tried it today! 😃🙄
i know a woman hardly had any balance...she started working on it daily..tiny steps at a time to get to her goal...she done it by time she set her limit...her goal you ask? to be able to ride a skateboard for the first time....at age 50 !

edit sorry yall i forgot to type her age.

Last edited:
Dang, to be young again! There was a day long ago that if I would have seen this I would try it! Now I would just walk up to the post and lay on the ground..... that's where I would end up if I tried it today! 😃🙄
Aw c'mon now, you know what you'd do first....
You'd shake thahell out of that post just to hear her scream as she crashed to the ground.:LOL:

I remember watching a documentary with a closeup of inside a cottonmouth's mouth. The narrator said "if you can see this, you are too close". Did we watch the same documentary? LOL.
I remember there was a kid from my school who went out waterskiing on some swampy area with his family. He fell into a cottonmouth nest-- multiple snake and they were not happy. He didn't survive.
When I was out in the yard I saw this bug-- don't know if it was a butterfly or moth but I'm leaning toward moth.
1720295624537.png

1720295651646.png

Before TSC moved the clearance section stuff (it was all gone when I went back a 2nd time today), I grabbed the last blue frog toy.
1720295734521.png

I like frogs and its a pretty blue and if I had more space and didn't have to worry about cats, I'd have tons of these little figures. They have cows and horses and all sorts of plastic critters.

There was a culvert on my grandparents ranch that was in a low spot between their yard and a hill in a field. We used to crawl through it when we were pretty young. When the grandparents found out we crawled though it they told us not to do that again, because there might be snakes in there. They did have a lot of snakes around the yard.

Latest posts

Back