Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George and Gracie Burns old house.
20240609_133854.jpg

Nothing like the smell of June hay!!! Smells like heaven to me... This is scrub hay my cousin cut just to get it off the field, a little thin. He didn’t want to spray for weeds this year so he waited to fertilize it until last week. He said he’ll bring over a herd of un-bred heifers sometime this summer. If we get a lot of rain he’ll cut some good hay in august then bring the herd over.

20240609_161040a.jpg
20240609_161041a.jpg
20240609_161404a.jpg

My cousin got the hay rolled this afternoon. I was surprised he got 30 rolls, hay was thin. I saw he had a new baler last week, was in his yard. I got to see it operate today.

It makes beautiful rolls, extremely fast. Has all sorts of interesting features, automatic oiling, every bearing in it is the same size. That’s really nice, keep one spare around. doesn’t matter which of the dozen bearings fail he always has the replacement. The baler is computer controlled with a panel/screen inside the cab. The list of parameters it keeps track of was impressive. Takes all the guess work out of baling.

It’s made in Ireland @Magpie Told my cousin if it were blue he could paint an anchor on the side and call it McHale’s Navy! 🤣

20240611_172503a.jpg
20240611_172907a.jpg
20240611_173113a.jpg
20240611_173158a.jpg
20240611_174132a.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a good looking baler. How many acres is that field? 30 sounds pretty good. Whats the bale weight, 1000 lbs or so?
About 17 acres in that field. I used to get 45 to 50 rolls there. Weight... I'd say about 900lbs, its a 4x5. His old baler was a 5x6. It spits out big 1200/1300 lb rolls. I prefer smaller rolls because of terrain. This is hill country, lots of uneven, steep ground, slippery in winter when feeding. 1200lbs up in the air on a front end loader gets a little tippy at times. 900lb rolls are a little safer to move. It's easier on the equipment and tractors too. With big rolls I'd sometimes break lug bolts on the front rims of the Massey.

Last edited:
Bethesda was sitting on the old wedge seat from a sectional sofa we threw out. The trash back there is from when my brother had junked his bedroom up so much that he moved into the front room (we had a bed for guests and used to have curtains over the sliding glass door but the cats tore them up) and junked it up. His way of cleaning stuff was to just shove everything out the door. So, eventually I'll have to get a rake, shovel, and my wagon to haul stuff away. I should haul away that sectional piece but the cats like to sit on it. Need to haul off the box and stuff that came on the new freezer that got tossed out in the yard.
1718163438513.png

Might be hard to see, but I saw a dragonfly out there too.
1718163537950.png

He's put on weight, coming up on 3yrs. He doesn't look like he's got an ounce of fat on him, solid. He'll burn calories in the summer heat though. 😁
Bear is about 104# now, not fat! A year behind Sam! Love those GSD necks when they start finally filling out!! Sam looks great!

Is that your own picture?

Ben
It is! We spoke to the little old lady who drove the cart. The man in the store said that she harnesses up that horse, puts her dogs in the cart, and drives it to the store every day for an ice cream
22CastellTX.jpg

Back