• Two New features staring today. - The first will security lock account if user didn't login for two years - The second will warn and security lock account if password found in data breach ( even if user is recently active) .. it will also warn users about weak passwords during registration. The compromised is from a data base list, and not from anything on this forum. If you are logged in all the time, this will not effect you. It only works when logging in.

Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't notice any poison ivy.

Ben
There is poison ivy in those woods, I was keeping an eye out. Poison ivy and I don’t play well together. But yes, it’s not there. Virginia Creeper? I have no idea what that is.

It’s off to the side of a field I work sometimes. Pic is a few weeks old, if that says anything.

One of you plant gurus tell me, is that poison ivy on the left side of this picture? That stuff right in front of the (would be) grill of the truck looks more like Virginia Creeper maybe, but I am suspicious about the plant on the left. Also, on the very very lower right.

I'm not very good with identifying plants.
@Peanut

Thoughts ? I mean I’ll be back. Might even harvest that truck for yard art.

ETA: Better idea yet - turn it into a functional and safe dog house. 🙂

Last edited:
Part of the damage from the flood in Rapid City, SD, 1972. I wasn't there and I didn't know any of the people who died in the flood.

The Black Hills Flood of 1972, also known as the Rapid City Flood, was the most detrimental flood in South Dakota history, and one of the deadliest floods in U.S. history. The flood took place on June 9–10, 1972[1] in the Black Hills of Western South Dakota. 15 inches (380 mm) of rain in a small area over the Black Hills caused Rapid Creek and other waterways to overflow. Severe flooding of residential and commercial properties in Rapid City occurred when Canyon Lake Dam became clogged with debris and failed in the late evening hours of June 9 resulting in 238 deaths and 3,057 injuries.[2] Over 1,335 homes and 5,000 automobiles were destroyed. The value of property damage was estimated to be over US$160 million in 1972 dollars ($1.17 billion in 2023 dollars[3]). Flooding also occurred in Battle, Spring, Bear Butte, and Boxelder creeks.[4]

Rapid city flood, 1972.JPG

@Peanut

Thoughts ? I mean I’ll be back. Might even harvest that truck for yard art.

ETA: Better idea yet - turn it into a functional and safe dog house. 🙂

This is what had me thinking about poison ivy:

View attachment 155986

What you circled isn’t poison ivy aka Toxicodendron radicans. Except the poison ivy species has now been divided into 3 species by botanist. Depending on where you live in the world. But, all 3 species are vines. They have 3 leaves on a stem, leaves of 3, let it be? Unless your in a Bush beer commercial. 😁

That plant looks stiffer, like something in the rose family. Just a guess, don’t think it grows here in the south. Probably common up there, Michigan right? Can't see the stem well enough to know if its a vine or fast growing tree sprout.

Below is virginia creeper aka Parthenocissus quinquefolia, that’s a mouth full!!! It has 5 leaves on a stem. I circled them in orange.

I see sassafras, bottom edge right, under the bump in the line.

edit to add... vir. creeper can cause a rash on some people in the fall, when it's leaves go red. I read once it caused contact dermatitis in 30% of the population. Funny, its very astringent-drying, can be used to treat poison ivy. I'll pass, plantain is far better for pi. 😁

Vircreep.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what had me thinking about poison ivy:

View attachment 155986

Yall made me look it up! 🤣 Wish i had a better tree book though. Anyway...

The circled leaves are 'pinnately compound'. (and it almost looks like small thorns on the jointed stem).

Pi leaves are 'palmately compound'. Different leaf structure. (v.creeper too)

Last edited:
^^^ Don't know about that but Your Buildings seem to 🐝 Leaning...!!!
I hope that baby would have hearing protection.
View attachment 155940

Looks a lot like one of the puppies I have been taking care of.
What an adorable face. I want to kiss it.
Just found that photo in my mother old old photo albums
Year not written in the back of photo
One of my mother sister
I am so happy I kept those albums (they all are blk-white photos)
So interesting !! To me anyway :p

View attachment 155951

View attachment 155950
I love looking at photographs. Even if I don’t know the people. I imagine what the were feeling at the time, where they were going, whether they were happy, excited, sad, etc.

I thought it was Monarchs that like milkweed.

I love the saguaro.
Monarch caterpillars are one of the few creatures that can eat the milkweed leaves. The flowers attract all kinds of pollinators including other butterflies, bumblebees, honey and native bees, hummingbird moths, and others. I love the flowers and have three good sized patches going now.

Not what I would call "proficient" but I can manage an 18, I prefer 10. :p. Learned on "3 on the tree"

What you circled isn’t poison ivy aka Toxicodendron radicans. Except the poison ivy species has now been divided into 3 species by botanist. Depending on where you live in the world. But, all 3 species are vines. They have 3 leaves on a stem, leaves of 3, let it be? Unless your in a Bush beer commercial. 😁

That plant looks stiffer, like something in the rose family. Just a guess, don’t think it grows here in the south. Probably common up there, Michigan right? Can't see the stem well enough to know if its a vine or fast growing tree sprout.

Below is virginia creeper aka Parthenocissus quinquefolia, that’s a mouth full!!! It has 5 leaves on a stem. I circled them in orange.

I see sassafras, bottom edge right, under the bump in the line.

edit to add... vir. creeper can cause a rash on some people in the fall, when it's leaves go red. I read once it caused contact dermatitis in 30% of the population. Funny, its very astringent-drying, can be used to treat poison ivy. I'll pass, plantain is far better for pi. 😁

View attachment 155987
what really matters is why is that old ford still sitting there

Latest posts

Back