POW / MIA Recognition Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I meant to post this yesterday but failed to complete my objective, my apologies. Yesterday was POW / MIA Recognition Day.

https://www.defense.gov/Spotlights/National-Pow-Mia-Recognition-Day/

While I was not a fan of John McCain later in his life, these words from his book were well written: “In [POW] prison, I fell in love with my country. I had loved her before then, but like most young people, my affection was little more than a simple appreciation for the comforts and privileges most Americans enjoyed and took for granted. It wasn't until I had lost America for a time that I realized how much I loved her. ”

God bless all who were taken captive, all who were lost and those who were never reunited with their loves ones. 🇺🇸

POW-MIA.jpg

They had an event yesterday at the war memorial in Knoxville yesterday. Showed part of it on the news last night. Main speaker was Captain Bill Robinson, who was a POW for 8 years in Nam, which was the longest of any POW. Yesterday was the aniversary of the day he was shot down. From the video it appeared they had a very good crowd attend the ceremony.
God bless them all.

25 years ago my VFW post always had a ceremony on POW/MIA Day.
For those who didn't know, this day is always the 3rd Friday in September.

Sadly, neither my VFW nor my American Legion posts do anything any more.
Neither does my Vietnam Veterans of America.
I suppose that if I'm not part of the solution, then I'm part of the problem. But, dang it!! I'm 75 and tired of always having to pick up their slack.

For the record, we have a family friend who was shot down over Laos, was still alive and talking on his emergency radio until he was taken prisoner. He never was found, and as far as I know is still listed as MIA.
He name is on the Vietnam Memorial.

For the record, we have a family friend who was shot down over Laos, was still alive and talking on his emergency radio until he was taken prisoner. He never was found, and as far as I know is still listed as MIA.
He name is on the Vietnam Memorial.
There was WAY too many left behind when Kissinger and Nixon left them. Unforgivable crimes they committed in that regard

There was WAY too many left behind when Kissinger and Nixon left them. Unforgivable crimes they committed in that regard
May Nixon, Kissinger and McNamara rot in hell.
I was on a national committee for MIA/POW for Vietnam Veterans of America back in the late 1980's and the things I learned, even from some US government sources, about live POW's KNOWINGLY left behind angered me then and anger me now.

Latest posts

Back