Power Adapters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a dell 65w power adapter that came with my new laptop (usb-c plug). I’m only concerned with the output power. It seems to list 4 voltages, 5vdc, 9vdc, 15vdc and 20vdc (top pic). Am I reading this correctly? Anyone familiar with power adapters? Or better yet, has taken one apart?

The reason for my questions is… Found these ferrites in a box a couple days ago (bottom). It’s a field modification for the patient table of a catscan. Myself and another guy built the first one of these to ‘clean’ the power feeds to patient table dc drive motors. Our 'fix' was redesigned/refined and then sent to the field as an FMI. Sadly, I don’t remember the specific details, just the general purpose. I have no part #’s or specs but clearly they are rated for higher current than the 3amps from the laptop adapter.

I’m thinking about how to use them now. Possibly to clean the dc power for my new laptop (or anything else I can think of). Do we have any ferrite experts in our group?

20240618_173234a.jpg

Ferrites

20240615_102812a.jpg

I have a dell 65w power adapter that came with my new laptop (usb-c plug). I’m only concerned with the output power. It seems to list 4 voltages, 5vdc, 9vdc, 15vdc and 20vdc (top pic). Am I reading this correctly? Anyone familiar with power adapters? Or better yet, has taken one apart?

The reason for my questions is… Found these ferrites in a box a couple days ago (bottom). It’s a field modification for the patient table of a catscan. Myself and another guy built the first one of these to ‘clean’ the power feeds to patient table dc drive motors. Our 'fix' was redesigned/refined and then sent to the field as an FMI. Sadly, I don’t remember the specific details, just the general purpose. I have no part #’s or specs but clearly they are rated for higher current than the 3amps from the laptop adapter.

I’m thinking about how to use them now. Possibly to clean the dc power for my new laptop (or anything else I can think of). Do we have any ferrite experts in our group?

View attachment 155421

Ferrites

View attachment 155422
I'm not a ferrite expert but I did read "Noise Reduction Technique in Electronic Systems" by Ott.

Ferrites were mentioned as a method for absorbing the energy of high frequency spikes.

They are common in the wires of power supplies and appear as the bulge in wires. They can't hurt unless a conductor is carrying a signal with high frequency components.

Check out Ott's book!

Just my 2 cents.

Ben

Last edited:
There is a need for also cleaning up AC power as well, our grid power is really spiky due to the plywood mill which is about 4 miles to the east of us, probably due to all the electric motors and other control systems. A number of years ago we had a neighbor that checked out the grid voltages with an oscilloscope and he told me it was very spiky. I've been considering making up a system to knock off the spiking and I have seen some small systems for sale but I think that there needs to be a system between the meter and the power panel. I know that years ago some people used one to one ratio transformers 120/240 VAC in 120/240 VAC out, but I believe that could be spendy considering the cost of copper windings and the size of a transformer that would be needed. I've kind of put my plan on a back burner until I can find info to build a power modifier myself. I have heard that soothing out the power can also reduce electrical power costs as well.

There is a need for also cleaning up AC power as well, our grid power is really spiky due to the plywood mill which is about 4 miles to the east of us, probably due to all the electric motors and other control systems. A number of years ago we had a neighbor that checked out the grid voltages with an oscilloscope and he told me it was very spiky. I've been considering making up a system to knock off the spiking and I have seen some small systems for sale but I think that there needs to be a system between the meter and the power panel. I know that years ago some people used one to one ratio transformers 120/240 VAC in 120/240 VAC out, but I believe that could be spendy considering the cost of copper windings and the size of a transformer that would be needed. I've kind of put my plan on a back burner until I can find info to build a power modifier myself. I have heard that soothing out the power can also reduce electrical power costs as well.
Isolation transformer

MFG_CVS-Series.jpg

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/solahd/23-23-150-8/10071856

Ben

Power conditioners come in all shapes and sizes... and prices. Back in the day... catscans and mri's all had line conditioners. Normal to see units that conditioned 3-phase 480 up to 800 amps. No need for big units for home use though.

But agree, most line power is too dirty for modern electronics. It shortens their life span and affects performance.

Here's an industrial unit... used to start at $20K. I don't even want to know the current $$.

93000 POWER CONDITIONER 001.jpg

In Bama we only had dips and blinks.
Down here, the only drawback to our 'in-ground' power is spikes and surges. When a big load is removed from the line, there is no air for the excess to dissipate into.
One of these would likely suffice for most, and it is not $20K :rolleyes:.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SK6-0-Spike-Blok/dp/B00KUBU6PI
51tOTrNybQL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
I would hope that Magus is already running a surge suppressor.

I think he needs more - a UPS that uses buck/boost to smooth out brownouts and over voltages (which are different from spike surges). You might see this called "power conditioning", "line conditioning", AVR ("Automatic Voltage Regulation"), "line interactive", or simply "buck/boost" in UPS advertising blurbs.

In UPS's that we peons can afford, those don't have high end line conditioning. They have transformers with multiple taps that can be chosen by the UPS based on input line voltage. Which is good enough for most general household (computer) uses. In the diagram below, ""Small Overvoltage" leads to what is called "buck mode". "Small Undervoltage" would trigger "boost mode"

buck-boost UPS.png

If Magus' power is extremely bad, he may need even more line conditioning than these simple UPS's provide.

Latest posts

Back