Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone here tried the canned bacon? I'd like to have a case or two on hand if its any good. I learned my lesson on canned Mac and cheese. The chickens like it though.

Yep. Yoder's brand is good. You can can your own, too
==
Yes.. Home canned bacon is easy and the best..
I even know one guy (hint, hint, wink, wink) who would cook big packages of bacon ends and pieces for cheap in a slow cooker.. Jar the bacon grease, and can the bacon bits.. Some wrapped in parchment, some chunks ground in the KitchenAid, spread on parchment paper and canned.. Seemed to work well...

I've spent much of the summer using up some of my stock, as I wanted to make room for some precooked dinners in the freezer, and some of my cupboard sauces etc are out of date.
Yesterday, while looking for papers, I found some money I hid (or put aside for something specific and cant remember what). I took 20 and today bought 4 extra large chickens that are on special.
My question to you is- if you had an extra 100, and imagining you are pretty well stocked, what would you spend it on? You folk might some up with something I have forgotten.

Another thing we have been focusing on are OTC meds and medical supplies. Our insurance company offers a monthly allowance on medical supplies, and we are taking full advantage. We can get vitamins, dental supplies (toothpaste, tooth brushes), most of the items we would buy at a drug store, and we are stocking heavily.

People tend to neglect many health and toiletry items, and focus on food. Another advantage is that the many of the health items have no shelf life, and they can be used for barter if times get really tough.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
First of all, I am amazed that you guys, will all your opportunities to bulk buy, stores like Walmart etc now consider 100 bucks 'not enough'. Things must have gotten very dear.
I've made a list, and will see whats on sale, and will come back to you with results. It'll be a bit random :)

looked a couple of days ago 20# pintos is $15...cheapest rice 20# is $11.14

so two of each would be $30 and $22.28 for total of $52.28..not counting tax....thats not much food to be honest when nothing is coming in besides what you grow,have in storage etc.

cheapest meat is chub mackerel and its $2.26 a can so a dozen cans is $27.12 plus tax

the above when you ad in tax is over $80

I hit W-mart this morning when they opened. Targets were, yellow onions, cooking carrots, potatoes, and bananas (the bananas are the odd duck, buy no more than 6 at a time, wife eats them for potassium). I almost bought some whole chickens but when I reached in the case they were fully thawed and warm, backed away slowly.
This weekend we are planning to make 8"X8" frozen casseroles. We will be making 3 each: shepherds pie, chicken Ritz, and chicken broccoli. They will all go in the freezer.

Unfortunately, we we will still have to decide what's for supper.

One purchase that you might not consider prepping but has been very helpful for us are 8"X8" stainless steel baking pans. We use them for frozen casseroles, lasagna, breakfast casseroles and quiche's, and or course brownies :). I originally purchased 8, and then just kept adding... the nice thing is they stack, don't take up much storage room, and I can go to the cupboard and count the empties. Once the contents are frozen, they stack in the freezer too, making good use of valuable space.

Ok so I decided take some of the 100 and stock upon pet food. Having checked around, found an online place, and spent 47 on wet and dry stuff.
Then, as I was teaching this morning, went to a supermarket that usually has good offers, and purchased the following.
Choice was based on things I use alot, and two 'treats' I don't buy usually because of price, but were on sale.

Large Hellmans - 4.00 on sale
grated cheddar 2 bags @2.55 each (split into 6 containers that will do a month)
lasange sheets x 70c each
3x cereal 3.19 (own brand rice crispies and fruit & fibre)
passatta x 3 62c each
gravy granules jar 3.00 down from 4.29 - (great for making up a small amount with the kettle)
butter x 4lbs @ 3.29 each
The treats- 8 pack 'posh' coffee sachets 2.99, & 2x frozen cookie dough packs 1.50 each (the sachets don't need milk, great for camping, and the dough because one night we will hanker warm cookies and no one will want to get out the flour and make them) - 85.40
The remainder will go on 3lbs of mince and a pack of paracetamol :)

@UrbanHunter like that tip on tins - its something people don't think of.

One can always use a Oven Tier Rack Outside on a table in the Sun if power is out...

1727886671167.png

Latest posts

Back