Preps no one else has

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
It's easy to make a list of stuff everyone has in storage. Stuff like food, first aid, ammo, etc. But what about stuff that no one else probably stores? Can you think of something in your preps that maybe, just maybe, you are the only one or among very few who keep a supply of that item on hand?

I doubt that these are that rare, but I have several boxes of hydrocortisone cream, anti-fungal cream and A&D ointment in my storage room. Experience has taught me that these can be very valuable if your living conditions are less than ideal.

Otherwise the most unusual item I have is a couple big boxes of random comic books. I came across them at a yard sale and thought they may be worth the $20 if I had to go an extended period of time with minimal entertainment.

It's easy to make a list of stuff everyone has in storage. Stuff like food, first aid, ammo, etc. But what about stuff that no one else probably stores? Can you think of something in your preps that maybe, just maybe, you are the only one or among very few who keep a supply of that item on hand?

I doubt that these are that rare, but I have several boxes of hydrocortisone cream, anti-fungal cream and A&D ointment in my storage room. Experience has taught me that these can be very valuable if your living conditions are less than ideal.

Otherwise the most unusual item I have is a couple big boxes of random comic books. I came across them at a yard sale and thought they may be worth the $20 if I had to go an extended period of time with minimal entertainment.
Does a functional steam engine and the castings to make 4 more count?

Ben

We have a very large supply of reading classes. My wife and I have both been wearing them for over thirty years. and we have saved most of them. As time passes you have to get stronger ones, but there is nothing wrong with the ones you are no longer using. We think of it as a barter item. They don't take up much space and they never go bad.

We also save newspapers. They may be an alternative to TP if things got that bad. We have the storage space, and we would be throwing them in the trash, so why not keep something that could be useful.

There are many more, but these are the most unusual.

Cigars, Pipes, and Pipe tobacco. I'll work my way through it eventually :). Got a distillation column too, but that hobby is old as the hills.

You know those Kitchenaid mixers...the kind that is on a stand with a bowl? I have the amish version that's been modified....no power cord, instead a hand crank has been added to make it go.
I wish I’d picked up mine before they raised the price.

They're not TEOTWAWKI preps and I'm not saying nobody else has them but I'm stacked deep with redundancy and anticipated items.
E.g.
Spare sewer pump, at least 4 sump pumps
Wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps (not needed yet)
Tons of spare coats, shoes, boots, rain gear, clothing. A lifetime worth.
Engine oil, hyd fluid, filters, belts and other engine maintenance items.
The list goes on. My friends call me my name Depot as they know that if they need something, I probably have it.

See this is all good stuff. Makes me think about options, which is always good. Except @zoomzoom 200 gallons of hand sanitizer, that just makes me wonder if it could dissolve a body.
it's for making his firewood equipment shiny and It is a really good fire starter, HHMMM

You should stock condoms. They can be used for all sorts of other uses, like carrying water. And they might be great trading supplies.
If you're going to be doing a lot of marching, or walking, in monsoon rain, condoms over the muzzle of your rifle will keep the bore clean.
Wow!! I hadn't thought about that for 54 years!!:p:D

If you're going to be doing a lot of marching, or walking, in monsoon rain, condoms over the muzzle of your rifle will keep the bore clean.
Wow!! I hadn't thought about that for 54 years!!:p:D
They make tiny little black ones now just for that purpose.

We do have a stockpile of lots of handicapped equipment. Mostly because husband likes to try things out, and then he gets something else. A number of different style walkers, and he was just looking today for a different model...a farm wheel model. Ha. A few sizes of crutches, a bathtub transfer bench, a number of shower chairs, a scooter, a super "Wrangler" scooter, a rolling chair, a wheelchair, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I have old timey type equipment, amish style stuff to cook with. Bet Lady L does, too.
I have a cauldron large enough that I can fit in it.
And I might have some old timey things 😍

Last edited:
There ain't many folks that went out and bought an antique airplane with wooden wings and so non-electronic you have to crank the landing wheels up and down with a hand crank . This baby is E.M.P. proof and sitting in a hanger waiting for either rescue day or evacuation day . It is a 4 seater and was built right after the end of World War Two . It will even run on car gasoline , but doubt that is a good choice of fuel . I can't fly it , but bought it as my grandson can . Using that thing though is my last ditch plan , such as the Chinese / Russian / Muslim troops are approaching by land . We have no intention of being stranded with no evacuation possible as has happened many times in history , such as Joe Biden abandoning people in Afghanistan and leaving them to their fate .

We fit a whole bear carcass in it- that was a lot of broth!
I come from a family of butchers. A hunter brought in a bear for Grandpa to butcher once. He told me that he wasn’t sure whether he cut up a bear or a 16 year old boy. They found a human hand (skinned), no fingers on the beach across the bay from our home. The Troopers flew it up to Anchorage to have the State autopsy it. Turned out to be a bear paw. The only difference is that the thumb is in a different position.

Last edited:
I come from a family of butchers. A hunter brought in a bear for Grandpa to butcher once. He told me that he wasn’t sure whether he cut up a bear or a 16 year old boy. They found a human hand (skinned), no fingers on the beach across the bay from our home. The Troopers flew it up to Anchorage to have the State autopsy it. Turned out to be a bear paw. The only difference is that the thumb is in a different position.
We had heard that bear look 👀 like humans hanging (not that I’ve seen a human hanging) but they don’t. Much larger and chest cavity is round - more elk shaped with more of a pig but (they are in the same family as pigs so makes sense). Bear is Hubby’s favorite meat as long as it’s fall bear and cleaned/cut up properly.

I had but recently sold a 16,000+ sq/ft underground, hardened bunker.

I have about 200 gallons of hand sanitizer so that's kind of weird.
I remember when you listed this. I was and am still very fascinated by this. How did you come into this? Did you have it built? Or did you buy it from someone else?

Latest posts

Back