Preps no one else has

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had heard that bear look 👀 like humans hanging (not that I’ve seen a human hanging) but they don’t. Much larger and chest cavity is round - more elk shaped with more of a pig but (they are in the same family as pigs so makes sense). Bear is Hubby’s favorite meat as long as it’s fall bear and cleaned/cut up properly.
I can state with reasonable assurance that Grandpa never butchered a 16 year old boy. It is likely that that was the only bear that he ever butchered, his meat market being in. LA County which only has a bear population in the zoo and no hunting season. I don’t expect he had a lot to compare to. Most likely a fleeting thought was stashed away to later impress his eight year old grandson.

I ate a fall bear once, never again. The thing had been eating salmon. Mix soft, ready to spawn, salmon with your ground beef if you want an experience you’ll never repeat. You MIGHT be able to get me to try spring bear.

A big part of my preps that is a bit unique is my location. The first picture is looking south west, the second is looking south, and the last is east. North of me is a big mountain and north of that about 200 mile to the nearest human settlement. In the summer I have about a dozen neighbors spread out over about 10 miles, and during the winter the wife and I are the only ones around.

IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_1950.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg

I can state with reasonable assurance that Grandpa never butchered a 16 year old boy. It is likely that that was the only bear that he ever butchered, his meat market being in. LA County which only has a bear population in the zoo and no hunting season. I don’t expect he had a lot to compare to. Most likely a fleeting thought was stashed away to later impress his eight year old grandson.

I ate a fall bear once, never again. The thing had been eating salmon. Mix soft, ready to spawn, salmon with your ground beef if you want an experience you’ll never repeat. You MIGHT be able to get me to try spring bear.
That’s why we don’t like spring bear - they are usually eating fish and fawns. Fall bear (at least here) are eating fruit and taste much better.

A big part of my preps that is a bit unique is my location. The first picture is looking south west, the second is looking south, and the last is east. North of me is a big mountain and north of that about 200 mile to the nearest human settlement. In the summer I have about a dozen neighbors spread out over about 10 miles, and during the winter the wife and I are the only ones around.

View attachment 156395

View attachment 156397

View attachment 156396
Beautiful place you have

I remember when you listed this. I was and am still very fascinated by this. How did you come into this? Did you have it built? Or did you buy it from someone else?
It was built by AT&T and the government as a communications bunker during the cold war in case of WWIII. When the cold war ended, this communications system was decommissioned and this bunker was sold back to the people that previously owned the land. I bought it from them.

Some of the details on it:
The underground section is approx. 16,000 sq/ft. Approximately 1/2 is open and the remainder comprises the infrastructure components (HVAC, generators, water & sewer...). Much of the HVAC, generators... can be removed for increased space.
Above ground is a 30x50' building that was part of the initial install of this facility.

This facility has:
2 deep-water wells. These aren't in use as public water is on premises and currently in use.
Commercial/city water.
It's own sewage facility (all up to date and full DEP Permits for operation).
(2) 225Kw turbine generators. Not tested or used. Remediation of external, underground fuel storage tanks is complete and we have the closure reports.
5,000 gallon water storage.
Fire hose system (in very nice shape but it hasn't been turned on or tested recently).
HVAC complete but retired in place. Al the refrigerant has been removed.
All blast doors in place and operational (electric closures on main doors as well as remote).
Fully functional 6000# hoist and trolley system.
Bathroom, kitchen and conference room, all fully renovated.
All blueprints, operation manuals... on premises for the facility itself as well as installed components.
24v DC emergency lighting.
120v, 240v, 277v, 460v all in the building with 8400v available at the transformer above.
Any/all asbestos remediation completed. Closure report is not available but all floor tile and such has been removed.
Decontamination shower in place and operational.
NBC filter (aka CBR as listed on the filter) is still in place.
All transformers, motor control centers... that we've tested are operational. Not all has been tested due to certain components being retired in place.
Approx. 4 acres.

Here's the main room, underground. It's about 1/2 of the underground section.
1719760764305.jpeg

It was built by AT&T and the government as a communications bunker during the cold war in case of WWIII. When the cold war ended, this communications system was decommissioned and this bunker was sold back to the people that previously owned the land. I bought it from them.

Some of the details on it:
The underground section is approx. 16,000 sq/ft. Approximately 1/2 is open and the remainder comprises the infrastructure components (HVAC, generators, water & sewer...). Much of the HVAC, generators... can be removed for increased space.
Above ground is a 30x50' building that was part of the initial install of this facility.

This facility has:
2 deep-water wells. These aren't in use as public water is on premises and currently in use.
Commercial/city water.
It's own sewage facility (all up to date and full DEP Permits for operation).
(2) 225Kw turbine generators. Not tested or used. Remediation of external, underground fuel storage tanks is complete and we have the closure reports.
5,000 gallon water storage.
Fire hose system (in very nice shape but it hasn't been turned on or tested recently).
HVAC complete but retired in place. Al the refrigerant has been removed.
All blast doors in place and operational (electric closures on main doors as well as remote).
Fully functional 6000# hoist and trolley system.
Bathroom, kitchen and conference room, all fully renovated.
All blueprints, operation manuals... on premises for the facility itself as well as installed components.
24v DC emergency lighting.
120v, 240v, 277v, 460v all in the building with 8400v available at the transformer above.
Any/all asbestos remediation completed. Closure report is not available but all floor tile and such has been removed.
Decontamination shower in place and operational.
NBC filter (aka CBR as listed on the filter) is still in place.
All transformers, motor control centers... that we've tested are operational. Not all has been tested due to certain components being retired in place.
Approx. 4 acres.

Here's the main room, underground. It's about 1/2 of the underground section.
View attachment 156409
It's really an amazing facility. I'd bet that there were a few of these built around the country, and maybe still in existence.

It's really an amazing facility. I'd bet that there were a few of these built around the country, and maybe still in existence.
Yes, there were several built. I'm guessing 20-50. Although the AT&T system was all across the country (see map below), actual bunkers were only installed in key locations. I believe mine was the only one built at this size/capacity as it was a major communications hub. Most of the others were 1/2 to 1/3 of the size.

AFAIK, they're all still in existence as they're 1000-year structures. Mine was incredibly clean and well maintained. The others... not so much unless they've been recently rehabbed.

Do you ever see any towers like the one pictured below? They are or were at all the locations on the map below. They're microwave relay towers. They used microwave signals for communications.

1719781674395.png

1719781948877.png

I have an electrical repair shop with a large selection of components. Gives a chance to repair some simple electronic devices damaged by EMP.

Also have a good collection of laboratory glassware. Pressure gages, thermometers, litmus paper.

Ben

Yes, there were several built. I'm guessing 20-50. Although the AT&T system was all across the country (see map below), actual bunkers were only installed in key locations. I believe mine was the only one built at this size/capacity as it was a major communications hub. Most of the others were 1/2 to 1/3 of the size.

AFAIK, they're all still in existence as they're 1000-year structures. Mine was incredibly clean and well maintained. The others... not so much unless they've been recently rehabbed.

Do you ever see any towers like the one pictured below? They are or were at all the locations on the map below. They're microwave relay towers. They used microwave signals for communications.

View attachment 156428

View attachment 156431
I haven't noticed any of those towers. It doesn't mean that I haven't driven by some. I am curious about the locations now.

I haven't noticed any of those towers. It doesn't mean that I haven't driven by some. I am curious about the locations now.
If you find one, get a pic. They are going the way of the dinosaur. Zoom in on the bottom right of the map...
It says: "March, 1960".
Most everything today goes thru fiber-optic or satellite.

If you find one, get a pic. They are going the way of the dinosaur. Zoom in on the bottom right of the map...
It says: "March, 1960".
Most everything today goes thru fiber-optic or satellite.
Fiber and satellite is "part" of the reason it went away.
I didn't know the map said 1960. That must have been proposed routes as the bunker I had wasn't commissioned until 1971.
For my bunker, the tower is across the street (not mine). I was told that it can't be removed for 99 years, "just in case". They were made to last forever and I "heard" they could withstand winds of several hundred miles per hour (think nuclear blast).

An over abundance of Coleman lanterns stoves and heaters.
Completely forgot about that type of item. Somewhere around here (now I've got to find them), I have a lot of Dietz lanterns.
Me too, I have two of the little green two eye stoves & a few lanterns, not as many as Oddcaliber, more 1800 oil lamps & candles (about 1200 candles) used in Hanukkah, no I am not jewish nor do I dislike jews. (you have to say that these days)
The candle that are left over sale cheap & I am Cheap. A few flashlights, two wood stove & a small woodlot, about five acres, that can be used for lumber & or firewood.
Also three fire pits, large stand of bamboo & a perennial garden, as well as edible ground covers.

Latest posts

Back