Russia Versus The Ukraine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have said for a long time if someone isn't preparing for a SHTF event worse than a cat 5 hurricane , then they haven't prepped enough .
I doubt many people are truly prepared for that scenario, even some of us on here. (Me, at least. We would run out of water in about 2 weeks if we couldn't drink from the sources on the property.)

Unfortunately, any move, illness, change in circumstances can really set you back and most people don't know that prepping requires financial discipline, so they think they can't afford to do it even if they actually can.

I know for most people they have grown up and lived their lives without seeing a serious battlefield

Makes a lot of sense! Not being exposed to war, I am one that it took awhile to acknowledge the real challenges that we all could be facing.

Me, at least. We would run out of water in about 2 weeks if we couldn't drink from the sources on the property.)

Is there anyway you could drill a well? Even a shallow one works in many places.

I doubt many people are truly prepared for that scenario, even some of us on here. (Me, at least. We would run out of water in about 2 weeks if we couldn't drink from the sources on the property.)

Unfortunately, any move, illness, change in circumstances can really set you back and most people don't know that prepping requires financial discipline, so they think they can't afford to do it even if they actually can.

You have mentioned that you have a basement. When we lived in the midwest, everyone had a sump-pump in the basement. That water could be recycled through a filter and used for cooking and drinking.

Is there anyway you could drill a well? Even a shallow one works in many places.
We could, but we can't afford it right now. We have so much water here on the property, it never occurred to me have more than a 2 week supply indoors for some reason
You have mentioned that you have a basement. When we lived in the midwest, everyone had a sump-pump in the basement. That water could be recycled through a filter and used for cooking and drinking.
That is a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Another idea to consider is water catchment system. Even if you put in a small one, you will be much further ahead! These folks are in Texas and don’t get as much rain as you probably do. Their system they put in themselves can show you how to do it.

Nice system but that's a lot of money in tanks! We have one as part of our well system here to help skim off any oil that might come up with the water and they are now running around $6-7k each here. Ouch!

That's a great solution. I have always been told by the older folks in our group that these can get clogged easily with debris and . Is there any mesh or anything of the sort ro keep that from happening on newer ones or how does that work? I have to clean out rain barrel often, so I'm just assuming they would need cleaned too?

That's a great solution. I have always been told by the older folks in our group that these can get clogged easily with debris and . Is there any mesh or anything of the sort ro keep that from happening on newer ones or how does that work? I have to clean out rain barrel often, so I'm just assuming they would need cleaned too?

Setup gutters and water barrels. It's not expensive and better than nothing.

Last edited:
I trust the devil himself rater than a russian..

Yes, it goes back to WHY the rules of war exist. Ignoring them and doing anything to win, turning a blind eye, letting soldiers run amok, effects the possibility for peace.

Nice system but that's a lot of money in tanks! We have one as part of our well system here to help skim off any oil that might come up with the water and they are now running around $6-7k each here. Ouch!
Check with your local co-ops, they regularly have fertilizer tanks that "leak". They sometimes have a crack , but most are leaking around the valve and just need the bolts tightened up. Even if they are cracked you can weld them up with a soldering iron an weed eater string. Heck just clean it good and put some good duct tape on the inside. They give them to me free just to haul them off. Don't tell everyone though, we won't be able to get them when we need them. I think the large ones I get are about 15000 gallons.

By the way, as long as the water level in your tank is higher than the outlet , it will flow.

Ours needs a pressure tank to feed to the house (BOL1). I wanted to do something similar using rain catchment at BOL2, and use gravity feed.

Pioneers kept a silver coin in their water barrels when they headed west. I haven't seen anyone test that, but at one time it was believed to keep the water free of germs (and algae too I think)

generally, if the tank blocks sunlight, you won't get algae, hence the opaque black...

I was saying that about the paint because the ones we get are white plastic , about an inch thick at the bottom and maybe 5/8 at the top. We use them for water troughs,swimming pools, projects needing heavy high density plastic, septic tanks. I've even made bushings out of it. They are handy to have around, cracked or not.you can just walk around it with a chainsaw and cut it whatever height you need

Setup gutters and water barrels. It's not expensive and better than nothing.
I have a thousand liter tank in the yard now. Filled with well water and ready to water plants, animals or drink. I believe the plan is about 3 liters a day per person and 4 chickens and a dog makes that about 10. Plus being able to fill it again by hand-pump or electrict motor from 220 V or from a solar pump.
If nothing goes wrong, that should give us at least two months with washing our faces and cooking a few soups. We would be using the hand-pump anyway for daily use and only leave the tank if and when the well ran dry after months of no rain...till the next rain.

Don’t remember the numbers, but they got theirs much cheaper. Maybe these units have gone up a lot? Or perhaps he found used ones? As you know, there are deals when you really take the time to search.

This couple has had their system in for a few years, so whatever he did clearly worked. I don’t remember the details of his setup as I wasn’t watching in order to put one in. The videos on their water system will give you all the info you need though. They are very good at explaining what they do!

Latest posts

Back