Rusty taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo from web

scab_rw_samson.jpg

You start out by making sure that the meter is properly calibrated by using standard buffer solutions of pH 4 and pH 7.

Prepare the soil sample by removing any stones and/or vegetation. In the lab, we used screens/sieves. Break down any crumbs/aggregates into soil separates. In the lab, we used a mortar and pestle.

Mix the soil sample with deionized or distilled water in a soil/water ratio, by weight, of 1:2.

Mix the soil/water solution for about 30 minutes. I would do this by swirling the slurry every 5 minutes (+/-) for the 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, allow the solution to settle for 30 minutes.

You'll notice that settled sample with be relatively clear on top and settled soil on the bottom. In between those two layers is a murky layer of suspended clay. This is the layer that the pH electrode should be placed into. Take the pH reading of this murky unsettled layer.

It did come with buffers for calibration, pH4 and 7.

But I don't do the mix thing. I just insert it in the ground in several places within each bed. Readings aren't the same everywhere. But have been falling with 1 unit. Between 6 and 7, which is where I want them. My soil is mid 7s, but other than my berries, grapes, and trees, I don't grow much in the ground now.

Reactions: Neb
You will get differently pH readings depending on how moist your soil is and on how good of contact the electrode has with the soil. Jamming the electrode into the soil will ruin it after a while.

Last edited:
Back