So called BARTER-TRADE items for Post-SHTF.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense intended here, but why would anyone want something like that? Back when I was heavy into hiking and backpacking, I made several "pocket survival kits" out of little metal tins holding bare minimum survival essentials. One of those things was always a Bic lighter. I mention this because sometime back in the 90's (or maybe it was the 80's?) I bought a six-pack of Bic lighters. Probably cost about $1.59 for the six-pack. Used two of them in my kits. The others ended up in the junk drawer in my kitchen. I just now pulled two of those 25 - 30 - 35 (?) year old lighters out of the back of that drawer. They both lit up perfectly on the first try. As if they were brand new. Zero maintenance over the years. No refilling every week. They had just sat there for several decades, untouched, except for maybe lighting a birthday candle here and there over the years. And they still worked perfectly.

FWIW, the Bic lighters in my survival kits were what I called my "convenience fire starters". I knew they wouldn't work in all outdoor conditions (high winds, after getting soaked in water, in the freezing cold, etc.) But when they work, they are super convenient. My kits always included a ferrocerium rod for starting fires in super adverse conditions. And of all things, one or two of those "can't blow 'em out" trick birthday candles. If you could manage to get one of those puppies lit, you were in like Flint for starting a fire - even in a significant wind or rain storm.
Yeah but, Bic lighters down make that awesome sounding "click" like a Zippo lighter does when you shut it's lid. I won a prize off a radio program once by knowing that sound. Every morning the station would play a different sound. Listeners would call in with an answer for the sound. The correct answer won a gift certificate. I won the Zippo lighter sound. On another day, I was out-phoned by a caller who recognized the double "cricket chirp" from the movie, "The Longest Day."

Last edited:
This thread about lighting fire reminds me of something that happened back when my wife was working for a dentist. I believe I told this story before. At any rate, one day the dentist was trying to light a torch to so some silver soldering on a dental bridge or some such thing. The dentist was trying to light that torch over and over again using matches. He finally ran out of matches. The gas in the torch kept blowing the match out. My wife said, "Let me try." She reached into her purse and pulled out her magnesium fire starter. She threw a spark at the torch and it lit! The somewhat shocked dentist asked her why she had the fire starter in her purse. She said. "For emergencies. And, you don't want to know what else I have in my purse."

barter or trade may be okay now but post SHTF it wont be safe it could also be fatal.
most people over here will have nothing to trade with, in fact most dont trade now so it will be no different post SHTF, they will be lucky if they have any more than the shirt on their back as they dont prepare and so have nothing.

barter or trade may be okay now but post SHTF it wont be safe it could also be fatal.
most people over here will have nothing to trade with, in fact most dont trade now so it will be no different post SHTF, they will be lucky if they have any more than the shirt on their back as they dont prepare and so have nothing.
Truth is spoken here

Yep, those are the real zombies
They will roam the streets in packs looking for food or any other item useful to them. In reality , the zombie apocalypse will be about a 12/18 month duration after whatever happens. They will die off due to starvation or disease
Then things will get interesting.

Truth is spoken here

Yep, those are the real zombies
They will roam the streets in packs looking for food or any other item useful to them. In reality , the zombie apocalypse will be about a 12/18 month duration after whatever happens. They will die off due to starvation or disease
Then things will get interesting.
I would give it 12/18 days after say a grid down cyber attack with no public utilities or trucks delivering goods.

I would give it 12/18 days after say a grid down cyber attack with no public utilities or trucks delivering goods.
Could be, but they are going to root out warehouses stores and such
I think you are correct that some will start dying in your time frame but their will be some that hang on.

Even if they have no food or money, most people will have labor to trade. Make use of it.

This is how things have worked since time immemorial.
lol. Bro you are gonna die?!!!!

I have no college defamation But I have common sense and I know people

You are 200% correct that was the way it was done from the get
But I think you have not factored in a few facts that are important
-humans are predators,
A zombie is looking for food and supplies
When you hire a stranger to work it will be a 50/50 chance he is taking the job to intell your ass and after he figures out where you have what. You will be dead possibly eaten

No do not trade for labor with unknow people

Btw. Could not find the thread agaiin
You sir need an air boat and a flat bottom John boat for shallow water

Air boats are fun as hell to cut up in

Even if they have no food or money, most people will have labor to trade. Make use of it.

This is how things have worked since time immemorial.
how many can you feed? labor is great to have just see how the indentured servants and slaves have been used in almost every society down thru the ages.
The problem as I see it is growing enough or having enough food ... could 15 healthy workers be usefull for farming 30 acres? You betcha....but keeping 15 workers fed enough so they have the strength to work all day takes a bunch of calories. Somewhere I read a hard working farmhand working a irish potato farm in the pre tractor days would consume ten pounds of potatoes a day...

Last edited:
Could be, but they are going to root out warehouses stores and such
I think you are correct that some will start dying in your time frame but their will be some that hang on.
I have worked in a large food box store and the kid we are raising is working currently in a large food store...
Semi trucks every night to keep the shelves stocked.. Think toilet paper and the plandemic....in one day the pop tarts will be all gone. There are some reginal wharehouses for distribution but they are usually surrounded by a million people or more and probably will have national guard troops around them immediately.
Check out what happens to food that gets delivered to starving countries and the gangs and militia immediately controll the shipments.

B.O.T
Small, inexpensive knives.
Simple tools.
Sewing materials.
Sharpening stones.
fishhooks.
can openers.
twine
cheap tarps.
gun maintenance things.
cooking oil and lard.
files and rasps
ammunition, even stuff you don't use, and reloading supplies.
bullet and sinker molds.
shoes, boots, and blankets.
Nails and screws.
glue and epoxy.

I have worked in a large food box store and the kid we are raising is working currently in a large food store...
Semi trucks every night to keep the shelves stocked.. Think toilet paper and the plandemic....in one day the pop tarts will be all gone. There are some reginal wharehouses for distribution but they are usually surrounded by a million people or more and probably will have national guard troops around them immediately.
Check out what happens to food that gets delivered to starving countries and the gangs and militia immediately controll the shipments.
Now
Turn off the fuel supply, no power no fuel pump , no fuel no food delivered
Who is going to protect the stored food?
Police? They will not be available

The family is the ticket and if they wanna bring a friend ice pick base of the skull for the friend, bury them deep and with plenty of worms as far as you can afford to take them.

Friends have family, unless they already live or in a group setting with you and have been there NIX.

The children are the future and they have to survive and learn everything early including that killing something to survive is not like killing for no reason, and they must thank the animals they use to live for their sacrifice.

I am not intending to run, I am intending to fight, I have the setup, but not the will to remain through a long battle, I plan to be one of the first gate keepers.

I plan to take out as many vultures, government or civi as I can and have a final surprise for them on the trail.

I am going to draft the step by steps for everything laid out and get the rest involved, wife is never gonna go with it so she will find a spot or go early.

I am going for the survival of the kids and great grands for the final after governments and anarchy fail and tribes reassemble to move forward like free colonies.

lol. Bro you are gonna die?!!!!

I have no college defamation But I have common sense and I know people

You are 200% correct that was the way it was done from the get
But I think you have not factored in a few facts that are important
-humans are predators,
A zombie is looking for food and supplies
When you hire a stranger to work it will be a 50/50 chance he is taking the job to intell your ass and after he figures out where you have what. You will be dead possibly eaten

No do not trade for labor with unknow people

Btw. Could not find the thread agaiin
You sir need an air boat and a flat bottom John boat for shallow water

Air boats are fun as hell to cut up in
You assume too much about me.

Now
Turn off the fuel supply, no power no fuel pump , no fuel no food delivered
Who is going to protect the stored food?
Police? They will not be available
national guard, highway dept stores of fuel, private buisnesses and farms have fuel....I think there is already a plan in place to consolidate available resources for "continuation of government"... The rest of the unprepared or non grey men will freeze and or starve in the dark.

I probably said it before but it is worth repeating, if you aren't part of a community your chances are going to be slim, if you don't have skills even worse. and having stuff is great, but you might not be near your stuff when things stop. how do you know when not to travel a couple of hours to visit someone, or when not to take a vacation that takes you hundreds or thousands of miles from home.

national guard, highway dept stores of fuel, private buisnesses and farms have fuel....I think there is already a plan in place to consolidate available resources for "continuation of government"... The rest of the unprepared or non grey men will freeze and or starve in the dark.
I know I keep saying it. Because it is the truth
Katrina
National guard could not move any trucks anywhere
The interstate and connecting highways were parking lots of abandoned cars
No food trucks could get through
The police were looking after each other
The national guard was looking for dead bodies and guns

Get it through your head people
Thee government will not save your butt if things go south
Supreme Court has given a decision Leo does not have to protect you UNLESS you are in custody

solar garden lights can come in very handy. the larger glass globe ones are very sturdy but watch for what type of light pattern some of them have. some are just light anfd some have a fractured, artsy design, that could be nice or irritating.

but you can use them to recharge batteries in the sun as well as lights in evening inside or out. thru the years they have been a big help.

can be a great trade item

I know I keep saying it. Because it is the truth
Katrina
National guard could not move any trucks anywhere
The interstate and connecting highways were parking lots of abandoned cars
No food trucks could get through
The police were looking after each other
The national guard was looking for dead bodies and guns

Get it through your head people
Thee government will not save your butt if things go south
Supreme Court has given a decision Leo does not have to protect you UNLESS you are in custody
I worked a flood in NOLA in the 70s on a Red Cross Disaster Action Team. We were finding entire sections of the city days after the flood that had not seen a single first responder of any kind, or any local Red Cross who were AWOL.

We were all from out of state and had to kick start the relief efforts with no help from anyone.
When I finally made contact with the local Civil Defense, I discovered that the CD and Red Cross were basically at war with each other. I was told to take off my Red Cross vest if I knew what was good for me.
When they found out I was from out of state - "Oh, you're one of the GOOD GUYS"
What a cluster!
New Orleans is something else.

Yeah Katrina was unlike the worst thing you can imagine, One of the Uncles on the other side Lived in NOLA and was nearly 80 at the time living in a home with his invalid wife, they stayed like they had every other time depending on the pumps, levees and the political idiots they have down there.

He was found in an old building a few miles from home, she was never found, there were dogs eating corpses all around and entire areas of nothing but floating debris and mixed dead animals and people.

The idea it was like a war zone is a mistake it was very much worse than a war zone and the bickering politician scum just made it worse., so did the "HELP" that the governments sent to the lower level wards.

The railroads sent a bunch of people in with directions to fix the tracks so that they could set up train traffic to send equipment and help into the places you could not drive yet, the cops and national guard would not let them into the areas. It took a week of crap before they let any go in, no telling how many people could have use the equipment and the roadbed for help.

I was in the Midwest floods between Kansas City and Columbia for a month mostly around Liberty, Carrolton, Norborne, Chillicothe, and back toward White Rock later.

It was like going to a pool party compared to all of the areas hit by Katrina.

A lot of things that had never happened before happened in The Midwest with that flood.

10 miles from the Missouri river there was a loaded jumbo grain barge stuck in the middle of a corn field, I saw an at least 60 foot twin screw tug trying to prop wash it for 24 hours straight to get it loose, but it was hard aground and the water was beginning to fall so they unhooked and ran for deep water.

At Hardin MO there was a cemetery with graves from the earliest settlers that washed away,
One highway washed down 70 feet to bedrock the concrete slabs of the highway were about 6 feet thick and 40 feet wide by 100 feet long, looked like kids blocks strewn down the waterway.

Propane company tanks floated away spewing, Gas station above ground and farm tanks were hung up under bridges along with mounted tractor tires and corn was piled up against every bank building and what trees were standing.

Too much typing!! hands are tired HEHEHEH

People had to trade, help each other and live together to survive in the areas hit by that flood.

Community, just like here on the forum survives adversity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back