Storing salt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Wasnt sure where to post this.
I have read some folks intend to salt cure meats and suchlike during hard times.
In my mind to do any volume, that will take a lot of salt. Salt is fairly cheap currently. Our feed store has food grade salt for 11 dollars a 50 pound bag.

What is the best way to store large volumes of salt?

Wasnt sure where to post this.
I have read some folks intend to salt cure meats and suchlike during hard times.
In my mind to do any volume, that will take a lot of salt. Salt is fairly cheap currently. Our feed store has food grade salt for 11 dollars a 50 pound bag.

What is the best way to store large volumes of salt?
Uline has food grade barrels both plastic and steel. Or there are buckets (that’s what I have mine in). Not sure what kind of volume you are thinking. I too did as D and got mine for cheap at the hardware store. I do use it for making icecream so get about a bag a year and rotate through it like my foods etc.

If you have any friends in the Taxidermy Business, hit them up for salt. We would get thousands of pounds of salt (NO Iodine) months before each hunting-guiding season.

I don't have large quantities of salt but what I do have has been okay so far. My mom always put a few grains of white rice in the salt shaker to help with moisture/humidity, seems to work.
Uline has food grade barrels both plastic and steel. Or there are buckets (that’s what I have mine in). Not sure what kind of volume you are thinking. I too did as D and got mine for cheap at the hardware store. I do use it for making icecream so get about a bag a year and rotate through it like my foods etc.
Thanks for the handy tip, @LadyLocust

I store salt in canning jars using plastic lids. The metal lids would be corroded by the salt. I bought some plastic lids for canning jars just for this purpose. I also have 5 gallon buckets of containers of salt. Just like sugar, I do not use an oxygen absorber in salt. I would think it would just turn salt into a hard clump like it does sugar.

We can get 25 pound bags of salt from Costco and Sam's club for around $5. I do think I got a 25 pound bag for less than $4 a few years ago. I looked for it at Costco recently. I don't remember the exact price, but it was not expensive, still around $5. I just looked online to see if you could order it, but it is not listed there.

I try to have a few different kinds of salt. I keep some pickling salt, sea salt, no salt, lo-salt, and regular iodized salt. We definitely use the pickling salt when we make pickles. The no salt and lo salt are good for making beverages for dehydration. No salt is sodium free. I found tubes of these in the reduced bin at the store a few years ago. I'm assuming that like salt, they have an endless shelf life.

Latest posts

Back