The Boot Thread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSchool

Camper
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Boots aren’t made for walkin’ they’re made for workin’

Still, they best boots are comfortable enough to walk circles around NY city.

The latest boots I’ve bought and I’m liking are Matterhorn’s…. for comfort and durability they’re good.

The first $300 boots I bought were Danner boots. Hard to top… but the Matterhorn boots are holding their own.

For boot care and waterproofing… go to www.huberds.com … since 1929

I have more to add about boot brand names, pros and cons. But for now I figure that will get the thread rolling.

What’s your experience and recommendations.

I REALLY like my Belleville Model 590 boots. They are extremely comfortable and wear like iron. Made in the USA.
https://www.bellevilleboot.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=96

Can't really see them well in the photo below.
1.jpg

Rocky S2V Predators. They provide strong ankle support and stability, breath well, are very durable, wick away moisture like a champ, have a side zipper and are comfortable to wear for days on end.

View attachment 164329
Gore-Tex lining?

My Danner boots have that. I was amazed that after 10-12 hours of work in factory maintenance my feet come out dry.

I’ve been wearing Meindl boots for about 15yrs. Best boots I’ve ever owned, stand up to all kinds of abuse. On my 2nd pair now, will probably get another pair when these wear out. They’ve been making boots for 340yrs, since 1683. I think they know what they’re doing. My only complaint is germans must have skinny feet. My 4E width are a bit cramped but that just adds to the support.

https://meindlusa.com/

I will cast a vote for Lacrosse boots. I have a pair that I use for hunting. They were as confortable as bedroom slippers right out of the box, and have worn like iron. I have had them for a while, but I remember them being pretty resonably priced.

Wolverine work boots for years, then military combat boots, then used steel toed boot.
I got a free pair every year, so last year boots were field boots.

I’ve been wearing Meindl boots for about 15yrs. Best boots I’ve ever owned, stand up to all kinds of abuse. On my 2nd pair now, will probably get another pair when these wear out. They’ve been making boots for 340yrs, since 1683. I think they know what they’re doing. My only complaint is germans must have skinny feet. My 4E width are a bit cramped but that just adds to the support.

https://meindlusa.com/
Yep.

I wear Meindl boots most days.

I also like Magnum Sidewinders as a lighter weight summer boot.

Footware is a critical prep....in that without it, your capability is severely compromised.

Preppers should have a lifetime supply of good footware.......because it may come to pass that replacements from the store become unobtainable.

I like my Sorel boots. I never did a great deal of walking in them but riding around, in the open, in -40º to -60℉ they were very comfortable. I had extra liners so that I could always start the day with dry boots.

I've been wearing Sorel boots for many years; on the trap line, winter logging etc. Also wore a pair in Antarctica, didn't like the company issued bunny boats.
The best boots that I've ever owned are the Filson insulated. I've got a pair of Red Wing un-insulated boots too. I had a pair of light weight Merrill boots, but then one day one boot disappeared.

Preppers should have a lifetime supply of good footware.......because it may come to pass that replacements from the store become unobtainable.

I totally agree. I have a significant inventory of both shoes and boots in several varieties which should outlast me. I have even toyed with the idea of learning the shoe repair trade, for exactly that reason. If SHTF got that bad new shoes might be very difficult to find.

Another brand that I would highly recommend is Rockport. They are better known for shoes, but they also make some boots. The boots on their website are only ankle high, if that suits you need. I have two pairs of their shoes, and again, they are as comfortable as bedroom slippers right out of the box. They wear like iron. My first pair I wore nearly every day for at least ten years, before they started to wear, and they are very reasonably priced.

I love my McRae combat boots. It's basically the Vietnamese Era jungle boot but updated and fully leather with no drain holes. It's a 12" boot (they say it's 10" but it's 12") and the tounge attached high which is great for water reisstance. They have the modern speed lace system (unlike cheap knockoffs) and the best traction pattern ever, the Panama sole- i like them much more than my old altamas and so far the rubber they use (vulcanized construction) is holding up better.. In my opinion (and I've run many boots through their paces and torn em to shreds) it is the best value for solid do-everything boots at $180.

20240302_100517.jpg

They clean up nicely with a bit of dye and some obenhaufs when you abuse em like I do.

20240302_114944.jpg

Walking, working, hunting, hiking, climbing, caving... they do it all. I regularly get into alot of shenanigans, and It's very important that I have confidence my feet are stable and protected. Wildly underrated boot.
20240530_164422.jpg

Latest posts

Back