The great Condiment poll of 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your preferred condiment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I need to gain an experienced palette.
There is a taco chain here that prides itself on the garlic sauce used on the tacos. I love it. Found a recipe for it online, realized they didn't include a key ingredient...lime juice.

2 cloves garlic, minced (I press mine)
1 Tbsp. butter (I use less)
1 cup mayonnaise (I use less)
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (I don't use this at all)

Saute garlic in butter over low heat until golden (about 5 minutes). Add garlic/butter to 1 cup mayo and blend. Add pepper and garlic powder. Put on your taco first thing and enjoy!!!

Adapted from source: Dallas Morning News and Grace Glimpses.com

Click here to view: https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2012/JAN/37032.html
and like I said, they didn't include the lime juice. I use fresh squeezed juice of 2 or 3 limes and add as much cilantro as I can stand.

My personal favorite is pecan wood... Mesquite can be overly harsh sometimes... not one my top 10 but I won't leave a restaurant because of it. I like variety from time to time.
Indeed it can. Especially if it hasn't been dried/aged or is from small branches instead of the trunk of the tree.
Never buy chips, only chunks or sticks. You're after the hardwood in the middle. It's dark red.
Notice how this is less than 50% hardwood and has not been dried:
Mesquite_Chunk_2_Inch_Wood__27449.1560013747.JPG

Notice how this is more than 90% hardwood and obviously dried because the bark falls off:
3304227.JPG

Both are mesquite, but 2 totally different results when cooking.

Horseradish sauce for me. Nothing like a meat sandwich (preferably roast beef) with that on it! Hot prepared horseradish is great on sliced ham. This would be my favorite condiment.

I don't like yellow mustard, but really like the spicy brown mustards. That hot Chinese mustard on egg rolls is great too.

I always think I dislike mayo, until I have it on a sandwich or burger and have to admit, "Hey, this is pretty dang good!"

Ketchup is good on french fries, but little else.

Any kind of sweet sauce - like McDonald's "secret sauce" (thousand island dressing) is pretty yeuchy to my taste buds.

That green relish you sometimes see on hotdogs - I don't know what it is, but it looks like someone washed it off the bottom of their lawn mover - is about the grossest thing on the planet.

Never buy chips, only chunks or sticks.

I'm never going to buy it at all. I have all the pecan, oak, hickory, peach and cherry wood I could ever use here on the farm... Any thing else I might want is a phone call away... lots of loggers in my family.

Mesquite is a wood I would never use to smoke meat here at home. It does not interest me except as a wound wash, the green cambium is used then (Antimicrobial).

Last edited:
I make a horseradish soup. Does that count?

Potatoes
Green beans
Ham hocks
Bay leaves
Apple cider vinegar
Horseradish

It's an acquired taste.
Sounds good, I use Beano's horseradish sauce in/on lots of stuff. And Heinz chili sauce everywhere where ketchup is the standard

Chow chow? What is in it? How do you make it. I am always a little skittish of things with unknown ingredients.

It's a cabbage based relish that my mom and grandma used to make. I believe my mom made green tomato chow chow or maybe it was green tomato mincemeat. I use the recipe in the Ball Book!

It's a cabbage based relish that my mom and grandma used to make. I believe my mom made green tomato chow chow or maybe it was green tomato mincemeat. I use the recipe in the Ball Book!
I have never had it, and maybe it is a regional food. Mincemeat is something that I ate once. It made me sick and that was it for me!

Green tomato mincemeat seems familiar - meatless?
Mar's mincemeat was made with venison and apples and raisins, Par or one of the boys had to get a deer, or no mincemeat. My job, soon as I got old enough to crank the grinder, was to keep the ingredients coming while she cooked and canned. Mince pie and apple pie alternate weeks all winter. Best pies ever made, anywhere, ever, in my opinion.
How could we be so poor, and eat so well?

Damn. Excuse me. Feel a lot like weeping.

Today's condiment of the day is Sweet Baby Rays Hot "n" Spicy barbecue sauce slathered on two racks of baby back ribs..

I like hotdog relish from the store... basically yellow mustard with diced pickles.

We have a little hamburger shop that has been around forever that serves that on their hamburgers. Or you can get one of several other sauces, but they don't offer ketchup.

IMO, SBR BbQ sauce is the best.

Our local grocer puts them up 10 for 10 every now and again. We load up, usually as grilling season begins. Spend 10 bucks and have enough to last the summer.

For the wussies that aren't up for dancing with the devil to get the good wood, yes.
Mesquite:
Thorns-of-a-Mesquite-Tree.jpg

Just a twig:
7524914_f1024.jpg

Those thorns won't just hurt you, they will send you to the emergency room because they have toxins on them.

You have got to ask yourself: "How good must a mesquite-smoked steak be to fight with THAT!":eek:

Been there, cut that:D.
Worth the dance:).

Last edited:
For the wussies that aren't up for dancing with the devil to get the good wood, yes.
Mesquite:
Thorns-of-a-Mesquite-Tree.jpg

Just a twig:
7524914_f1024.jpg

Those thorns won't just hurt you, they will send you to the emergency room because they have toxins on them.

You have got to ask yourself: "How good must a mesquite-smoked steak be to fight with THAT!":eek:

Been there, cut that:D.
Worth the dance:).

Yep. We had to fill the lawn tractor tires because of those darn thorns.

Scary looking! I'd bet at least one person has died from them.
Well sure.
But at least you know he had a really good 'killer' steak earlier or he wouldn't have been dancing with those:rolleyes:.

Remember, some people die just reading a spam Facebook post while walking across a street.
They never even get to taste really good steak:(.

Now back to your normal "I love/hate, mayo/miracle-whip" thread:D.

Ketchup and mustard on burgers and hot dogs. Nothing else.

Joe's BBQ "Night of the Living BBQ" sauce for any BBQ meat, especially pork. It's hot enough to make your nose run. If I can't get that, a local joint sells their own spicy BBQ which is not bad.

As far as I'm concerned, Mayo and all derivitaves of mayo simply do not exist. The only possible exception is if In n Out burger sauce has any mayo in it. That stuff is awesome...

Oh, and anything that has vinegar in it, or has been tainted by vinegar, or has even had vinegar near it, is disgusting and should be launched into Bernie Sanders back yard with a catapult...

Back