This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about 521 yards per mile. Just do the math with local costs, but I'd be sitting down first.... You also might want to factor in a couple of 20 yr olds as that's a lot of mud to screed and trowel.
That's about 200k just for concrete. Figure at least double that for labor and equipment, and the road would still would need a gravel base. My wife would have to keep working or I'd have to go back to work. I think I can live with just gravel.

That's about 200k just for concrete. Figure at least double that for labor and equipment, and the road would still would need a gravel base. My wife would have to keep working or I'd have to go back to work. I think I can live with just gravel.
Like I said, hope you were sitting down....

Today I got some work done on the building, picked two and a half gallons of grapes, and 15 gallons of apples, (which still need peeling and canning), and the last of the blueberries. I got about four gallons frozen blueberries from this years crop.

Awesome Brent!

Been a weird week for me.

Only working in the office 2 days....yesterday, mom was going to have surgery, but doc ran too late on others, so now it's scrubbed and rescheduled next week (another day I have to take off)...

Was going to just be a guest at a wedding Thur and Fri, now it seems I'm going to be officiating it, lol. No script, no plan, so up to me. Oh well. I did find some good material though.

The rain on the weekends has pretty much killed any outside projects lately. I can take a little rain, but monsoon rain and lightning, and I'm out.

Awesome Brent!

Been a weird week for me.

Only working in the office 2 days....yesterday, mom was going to have surgery, but doc ran too late on others, so now it's scrubbed and rescheduled next week (another day I have to take off)...

Was going to just be a guest at a wedding Thur and Fri, now it seems I'm going to be officiating it, lol. No script, no plan, so up to me. Oh well. I did find some good material though.

The rain on the weekends has pretty much killed any outside projects lately. I can take a little rain, but monsoon rain and lightning, and I'm out.
Are you a notary, or ordained? I'm actually from a long line of southern baptist preachers. My great grandfather was president of the southern Babtist convention, and both grandfather and father were preachers. I personally am just your run of the mill heathen..... I got ordained thru the universalist church so I could marry my son and his first and only girlfriend.
Hope your mom is going to be ok. Unfortunately the best place to get sick is in the hospital these days!

Have been busy building some burglar proofing for the neighbour, the guy that was doing it got paid and left without completing the work, so some neighbourly good will helping to complete the job at minimal extra expence, have been down for about 2 weeks with a case of the common bloody cold, runny nose like niagra falls and a bark like a junkyard dog, first one in 5 years though.
ceabe9cf5665b88cf3b550738f7be3d9.jpg

Have been busy building some burglar proofing for the neighbour, the guy that was doing it got paid and left without completing the work, so some neighbourly good will helping to complete the job at minimal extra expence, have been down for about 2 weeks with a case of the common bloody cold, runny nose like niagra falls and a bark like a junkyard dog, first one in 5 years though.
ceabe9cf5665b88cf3b550738f7be3d9.jpg
Nice welding and community building. Still sucks that yout have to do it though.

I took it easy today. Still got a pot of salsa made and canned (really good tasting batch this time) and I canned another seven quarts of apples. (I'm really sick of peeling apples allready and still have 10 gallons to go). Then I bottled 5 more gallons of wine, making 25 bottles. I also 'racked' my batch of blackberry wine, which is getting the fruit out of it after a week of fermenting. Now it just sits and finishes fermenting a few weeks, and will get siphoned off a few more times as the sediment settles to the bottom. The blackberries make a really good flavored wine, probably my favorite. Then my son and I stood the gable wall up on the building. We built it yesterday but ran out of steam at the end of the day. Tomorrow will get the other gable wall and a ridge beam put up. It's slowly starting to look like a building.
image.jpeg

I took it easy today. Still got a pot of salsa made and canned (really good tasting batch this time) and I canned another seven quarts of apples. (I'm really sick of peeling apples allready and still have 10 gallons to go). Then I bottled 5 more gallons of wine, making 25 bottles. I also 'racked' my batch of blackberry wine, which is getting the fruit out of it after a week of fermenting. Now it just sits and finishes fermenting a few weeks, and will get siphoned off a few more times as the sediment settles to the bottom. The blackberries make a really good flavored wine, probably my favorite. Then my son and I stood the gable wall up on the building. We built it yesterday but ran out of steam at the end of the day. Tomorrow will get the other gable wall and a ridge beam put up. It's slowly starting to look like a building.View attachment 6011
That's taking it easy? Your shop is coming along nice.

Today I had to run to the bank and Home Depot and get some more hardware. It's a 220+ mile round trip so I didn't get home until late. The cement guys are coming in the morning to work on the forms for the shop building so I did a little more excavating on the site until it got too dark to see. Got an excavator coming up also to dig the footers and a test hole for the septic system.
The electrician is coming to wire the pump to the generator too. Tomorrow is going to be a big day.
Yesterday I picked up some cedar lap siding for the pump house.
Saturday I'm planning on a day at the lake lying on the beach and drinking some cold beer. Suppose to be around 80 on Saturday.

Like I said, hope you were sitting down....
I just remembered that I have a gravel pit on my property. I used some pit run out of it earlier this spring to fill in a couple low places on the new driveway. My long range plan's are to build a classifier screen to separate it down to about 2" minus for future use on the road. That little project will have to wait until next spring.

Last edited:
I personally am just your run of the mill heathen..... I got ordained thru the universalist church so I could marry my son and his first and only girlfriend.

Same here, lol.

Mostly worked on mowing the place this weekend, and I did some fence repairs, and got my pool back to normal after being away for days with all of this rain (then sun, then rain, sun, etc.). (Was green...ew...but back to nice and clear now). ($60 worth of chemicals and stuff later)....

mostly took care of doing the final touches of getting rid of the downed tree.been picking up tree branches and canning since then.still got branches to get picked up.but the well needed rain (we're getting now) has slowed that down a fair amount. :)

mostly took care of doing the final touches of getting rid of the downed tree

Reminded me of that too, hehe. We've had a tree that got hit by lightning TWICE. It's now mostly (about 90%) cleared out now...but still have some light chainsaw work and haul out of some big chunks.

Another tree finally came down. On neighboring property, but overhung our long driveway. It also hung over a main power line, so we complained to the utility company numerous times. I knew it would go during the next storm, and sure enough, it did. At least they finally took care of it...just after it knocked out power for a day (we were in a nearby city during those couple of days), and a car also drove into it when it fell in the road.

Got the footers and waterlines dug for the new shop. Raised the driveway by 3 feet to better match the elevation of the shop and removed some more trees. On Thursday we'll do the perk test for the septic system and start trenching between the well and shop, the house site and barn. A total of 1800 feet of trench and pipe.
Got the pump hard wired to the generator and the well house wired.

Got the footers and waterlines dug for the new shop. Raised the driveway by 3 feet to better match the elevation of the shop and removed some more trees. On Thursday we'll do the perk test for the septic system and start trenching between the well and shop, the house site and barn. A total of 1800 feet of trench and pipe.
Got the pump hard wired to the generator and the well house wired.
That's one thing I'll need to do as well, raise the level of the drive there. The shop is elevated about an average of three feet. It would be nice to be able to back a truck or trailer right up to it.

we have 2 kitchen draws,to the right of of kitchen sink.and there was some dead space under the bottom draw.so i just moved some home canned foods there.pint and quart jars fit perfectly there.not enough space to stack the pints there thoe.and it looks like a mouse got into that draw.so im now washing all the dish towels..and i now have a glue trap on top of some jars.

Cabbages and spinach planted. I got a half dozen more laying hens and a rooster to rebuild the egg flock.
I meant to have the fall garden tilled and planted by now. This darn building is kicking my butt! Once the roof is on I can slow down and get back to other things too.

Burglar Proofing all done and the neighbour is so happy he wants me to build him the gate for his electric fencing (Normal Price)

30f8eaa7a9467195370e1fe2014c4ebb.jpg

848556bbe5f564a436accf72d02e156a.jpg
Nice looking work. Here in the states they'd make you put in an emergency release for fire escape. I've never seen the mechanism, but it allows you to release the grate from the inside only.

Nice looking work. Here in the states they'd make you put in an emergency release for fire escape. I've never seen the mechanism, but it allows you to release the grate from the inside only.
I dont like the way i had to fasten these to the wall, i would prefer to drill right through the wall and use the same 12mm roundbar rod with a recessed square plate at the back, all welded, the release machanism you are talking about is done the same way with a spingloaded splitpin through the rod on the inside, basically the same as cars bonnet clip.
b3cd4f8a35b05173696b0d80b91bc5c0.jpg

Nice work! Was a challenge fitting the bars on our shop window too...how to best anchor them (in concrete block).....

I installed two new roosts for the chickens and repaired the henhouse door, to make it more predator proof. We have a family of four raccoons eating cat food on the porch every night, now, and the wife doesn't want them messed with, lol.
Sounds about right :). We use the human trap and then take them down the road to release. . . just got to make sure it is over 10 miles or they will find there way back home!! I wont let hunny shoot them. Possums are a different story though.

Well, I'm still alive from our building project. Sore, but still going. I'm really missing my twenties right now. The main goal is to get the roof sheathing on and wrap it all with vapor barrier. Then I'm taking a break for a few days. Today we should have the overhangs done, and can start putting sheathing on the roof deck. That should be fun as we have a 13/12 pitch. You can compare that to what the guys climbing Everest deal with.... I need to do some serious gardening here, more relaxing stuff....

Oh, she hates possums more than I do. I'm from Arkansas, she's from Detroit. The first time she saw one was traumatic for me and the possum.
We caught one here that fell into a garbage can and couldn't get back out. He hissed and threatened like mad when we were looking at him in there. I had always thought they were slow creatures. When I turned the can on its side I was amazed at how fast that critter hauled it out of there. The little guys are so ugly, snaggly toothed and scruffy, that there almost kind of cute.

Well, I was shopping today and a certain German supermarket were selling lovely fresh Red Cabbage for 50p each regardless of size so a snatched a couple up and the first batch of Red Sauerkraut is now underway. (God I love this stuff!) .

Latest posts

Back