This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do ya'll stop your hens from eating their eggs? I tried putting ping pong balls in there with them to discourage them, they played soccer with them. I blew out an egg and filled it with mustard and srirachi sauce and they ate it like it was dessert. Now I've redone the whole roost with a rollaway inclined shelf and board to keep them from getting to the eggs, so they lay on the ground and eat them. Should I just fire up the deep fryer?
I've had spells where they ate the eggs, but don't worry, not all is lost. There were good suggestions here, and you can increase there food a little. They will probably stop as they get a little older.

I just racked a thirty gallon barrel of wine from this years grapes. (Which is siphoning the juice from one container to another, leaving the pulp and sediment in the first container). This is the first of probable 5 or six rackings. Anyways I siphoned off a glass to taste. Amazing flavor, and allready as strong as storebought wine. It's cloudy right now, but the sediment will settle over time and clear right up. Right now it tastes like fresh muscadine grape juice, but mellows you out a little bit.View attachment 6219

Wow, how sweet is it?

Wow, how sweet is it?
This was full sweet tonight. It will continue fermenting and eat up some of the sugars over the next several weeks, making it higher octane, but I made this batch to stay a little on the sweet side. I like to take a sip and it taste really good, or it's not worth drinking.

I've had spells where they ate the eggs, but don't worry, not all is lost. There were good suggestions here, and you can increase there food a little. They will probably stop as they get a little older.

Mine seem to be doing this lately. A friend recommended getting the ceramic decoy eggs, so I got some of those, and I'm trying it. Used to get about 6 eggs a day from my 6 chickens. Now, I'm lucky to get 2 (and they aren't molting or anything). I also increased their feed to see if that works, and added some cracked corn and oyster shells in the mix. Will keep you posted.

Mine seem to be doing this lately. A friend recommended getting the ceramic decoy eggs, so I got some of those, and I'm trying it. Used to get about 6 eggs a day from my 6 chickens. Now, I'm lucky to get 2 (and they aren't molting or anything). I also increased their feed to see if that works, and added some cracked corn and oyster shells in the mix. Will keep you posted.
Every situation is unique. All you can do is keep trying until you hit on something that works. I've read that small enclosures can have this effect too.

I just racked a thirty gallon barrel of wine from this years grapes. (Which is siphoning the juice from one container to another, leaving the pulp and sediment in the first container). This is the first of probable 5 or six rackings. Anyways I siphoned off a glass to taste. Amazing flavor, and allready as strong as storebought wine. It's cloudy right now, but the sediment will settle over time and clear right up. Right now it tastes like fresh muscadine grape juice, but mellows you out a little bit.View attachment 6219
Hey Brent, looks good. I'll take a couple bottles!

Yesterday it was 14 degrees in the morning. We've only had 1/2" of rain in the last 3-1/2 month's. This morning was 50 and they're predicting 3" of rain (which is a LOT of rain for here) with flash floods, land slides and high winds. That will mean a lot of downed trees too. Guess I shouldn't have put off putting the last of the gravel on the driveway.

Yesterday it was 14 degrees in the morning. We've only had 1/2" of rain in the last 3-1/2 month's. This morning was 50 and they're predicting 3" of rain (which is a LOT of rain for here) with flash floods, land slides and high winds. That will mean a lot of downed trees too. Guess I shouldn't have put off putting the last of the gravel on the driveway.
Wow, 14 degs! We were about 50 this morning and I was shivering! I recently planted a last batch of green beans
, peas, potatoes, onions and spinache. Of course it was all in the greenhouse. I knew it was late for the potatoes but I wanted to experiment and see how late I can get away with here. I doubt I'll heat it at night in a few weeks, but I might be inclined to get another crop of potatoes. Right now I just close it up in late afternoon and it keeps well above the plants suffering.
Definately envious of the rain. One of the three ponds in my front yard is bone dry, the middle one is down 4 feet, and the first one dosent have anything flowing into it anymore. Still nothing on the 10 day forecast either.

I've read that small enclosures can have this effect too.

Interesting. They have a decent sized coup, but during the storm, we put them in one of the horse stalls, to be out of the weather more...(the stall is bigger than the coup), and we did see more eggs. That may be a way to go. Would suck to have the coup go to waste though....and I'd lose a stall converting it to a henhouse....

Of course, the family did want to get an iguana at some point, and I suppose it would be a pretty good enclosure for one...especially if I added a big log, some rocks, and a small little pond, etc. Hmm.....

i canned some more pints of beans n spam,as well as beans n franks,since this last Saturday..got some batteries for 2 lanterns..put 4LB'S of pintos and 3LB'S of rice into my dry food storage.now im rearranging things in my bedroom for better storage.on account my bedroom closet floor and that corner of me bedroom is where,im keeping my home canned foods,and emergency foods at..as well,as dry foods..

Interesting. They have a decent sized coup, but during the storm, we put them in one of the horse stalls, to be out of the weather more...(the stall is bigger than the coup), and we did see more eggs. That may be a way to go. Would suck to have the coup go to waste though....and I'd lose a stall converting it to a henhouse....

Of course, the family did want to get an iguana at some point, and I suppose it would be a pretty good enclosure for one...especially if I added a big log, some rocks, and a small little pond, etc. Hmm.....
Iguanas would do well in the barn during summer, but would have to be brought inside during winter. They don't do well with even the Florida winters.

Score! I got two bricks of 22's at Walmart today. 1100 rounds total. He had gotten about six bricks, I got two of them, and he said there was a three box max per person. I figured two was enough so walked away. Within five mins I went back to get the third and he had allready sold out. The moral here is never hesitate!

Score! I got two bricks of 22's at Walmart today. 1100 rounds total. He had gotten about six bricks, I got two of them, and he said there was a three box max per person. I figured two was enough so walked away. Within five mins I went back to get the third and he had allready sold out. The moral here is never hesitate!

Silly bugger, within 5 minutes of TSHTF or an economic collapse one 22LR round will replace the paper dollar as currency.

Silly bugger, within 5 minutes of TSHTF or an economic collapse one 22LR round will replace the paper dollar as currency.
Your probably right there. It really was encouraging to see it on a store shelf again though. As I discovered, people are still hoarding it, but at least the supply is rolling again. Damned having to live within a budget. That's what made me hesitate to begin with....

I didn't get many chives this year. Just too hot I guess. Luckily I found a Baggie full of some I dehydrated last year. Stuff has a way of hiding in my freezer.

That's something else I miss since the move, I used to dehydrate huge amounts of chives and parsley from the garden. I have none left. However a plan is afoot.:)

Your probably right there. It really was encouraging to see it on a store shelf again though. As I discovered, people are still hoarding it, but at least the supply is rolling again. Damned having to live within a budget. That's what made me hesitate to begin with....

Expensive mistake, hopefully not a fatal one, punish yourself go and buy three more bricks when it comes in.

Just put a nice black 5.11 Rush 12 pack into EDC/GHB duty I normally have different bags for EDC and GHB but with the Rush 12 it will happily do both jobs, The Admin pouch and the lined pouch plus the top extra pouch accommodate all my EDC needs, and I have set up a GHB container that just slips into the main section of the Rush 12 if venturing far from home.
Tool Bug Out Bag 5.11 Rush 12 Spec.jpg

Got 24 1 gallon glass jugs from a friend today! They are for wine storage, but could be used for any liquids. I like these for aging wine as they are the equivalent of five regular wine bottles which makes it a lot quicker and easier. Ok since this guy obviously drinks a lot, I recriporcated with four liters of a good, strong muscadine wine for him. I love the barter system, everybody leaves happy!

Now the dehydrator is to hand, I got some bags of frozen veg to dehydrate. If you don't have any growing space, buying bags of frozen veg is an economical and easy way to fill your store cupboard. I simply put the veg on the dehydratoe trays, leave them to defrost and then dehydrate. No preparing, no blanching ready to go.

Now the dehydrator is to hand, I got some bags of frozen veg to dehydrate. If you don't have any growing space, buying bags of frozen veg is an economical and easy way to fill your store cupboard. I simply put the veg on the dehydratoe trays, leave them to defrost and then dehydrate. No preparing, no blanching ready to go.
Fiendishly clever :)

That's interesting. How do you store them once dried? And how do you use them when ready? I know for a fact that I can buy them cheaper than growing. I really haven't had any luck with stuff like broccoli or cauliflower recently. It's gotten too hot too quick for any real success. Might be a good backup plan.

Fiendishly clever :)

Yip;)

That's interesting. How do you store them once dried? And how do you use them when ready? I know for a fact that I can buy them cheaper than growing. I really haven't had any luck with stuff like broccoli or cauliflower recently. It's gotten too hot too quick for any real success. Might be a good backup plan.

I store them in Kilner (canning) jars with an oxygen absorber.
Because I have a very basic dehydrator I only dry smaller or chopped veg such as peas, beans, sweetcorn chopped carrot, things like that. But I think you could probably do more irregular shapes with a more sophisticated machine. I know a friend has done broccoli florets and cauliflower but she did break them up quite small.

Latest posts

Back